Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 09:07   #1

Inflatable paddleboards

We recently tried paddle boarding while on vacation in Fl and are now interested in getting some for this summer. We’ve no room for hard ones so I’m interested in the inflatable type that could be stowed in the boat. So, pros and cons? Are they worth it? What to look for/avoid?

Thanks!
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 09:11   #2

Boat: Caliber 28
Re: Inflatable padleboards

I bought two inflatable Body Glove paddle boards at the boat show a few years ago and they work great! They were reasonably priced and so far no issues!
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpiratk View Post
We recently tried paddle boarding while on vacation in Fl and are now interested in getting some for this summer. We’ve no room for hard ones so I’m interested in the inflatable type that could be stowed in the boat. So, pros and cons? Are they worth it? What to look for/avoid?

Thanks!
We have both a traditional and inflatable paddle board. It's far easier to balance on the rigid board, and it's much better for "real" paddle boarding where you're going several miles. That said, it's impractical to carry it even on our cat which has lots of room. Anywhere outside and it turns into a kite when it gets windy and is difficult keep secured and it takes up too much space to come inside. So we use the inflatable for the boat. One tip is to make sure it's up to it's max psi. It's much easier to stay on and use, and if it's under inflated it's nearly impossible to stay upright.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:36   #4

Inflatable padleboards

We’ve gotten rid of all our hard boards, as they were jus too problematic. They were always hitting the boat and either dinging th boat or the board. Actually had a new epoxy board literally blow up from getting too hot in the Sea of Cortez. Now we actually have 5 inflatables onboard. A cheap big one for leaving on the beach. 2 for surfing, and 2 high quality bigger ones. For higher quality boards, check out Red Paddle.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:37   #5

Inflatable SUP are a lot of fun and work reasonably well. I also found the paddle-boards work best when there isn't enough wind to sail, which is to me a perfect complement activity. I often even don't bother with the dinghy and use the paddle-board instead in anchorages. Makes me feel more active.

To a large part you get what you pay for, so don't expect a bargain entry level board kits to be the same quality as more expensive ones. The more expensive boards are constructed to give more stiffness.

You also should make sure you get a board that's adapted to your body weight, specially if you're not on the light side. With my 95kg using a short ladies board up to 70 kg is no fun. Unfortunately here again you might have to upgrade one price-level.

And lastly get one board for each of you or a tandem-board. It's a lot more fun to paddle together into the sunrise.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:53   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

We've had two onboard for a couple years. Our Red Paddle board has performed great, but our Starboard WindSUP board's main seam delaminated after about a year in the harsh caribbean heat and now patching leaks is like whack-a-mole.

It's a harsh life for a board on deck or rolled up in a hot lazarette, but great to have onboard.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 15:59   #7

We had quite an expensive hybrid inflatable that had a windsurfer rig as well. It was good fun. Unfortunately we left it inflated too long in the sun on deck and the seams started coming apart - they are a real pain to repair. I would recommend keeping it in a UV proof cover when not in use.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:06   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpiratk View Post

Thanks!

I bought this one from Amazon:
Roc Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board W Free Premium SUP Accessories & Backpack, Non-Slip Deck. Bonus Waterproof Bag, Leash, Paddle and Hand Pump

I love it.

Then I bought another for my neighbor because they are nice, and they love it.
I bought a battery powered pump that quits at a programmed pressure, and I made (I suggest buying) a cover for it so I can store it on deck, but can tuck it away if I decide to do that (Like freezing cold Fl winters).
manisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:12   #9

Hala boards are really high quality. I use a Carbon Playa as my getting around board, and it also serves as a longboard for surfing, and then a Hala Gram as a lighter quicker board. If you're not surfing, then a longer board will give you more speed, something like a Hala Nass (say it fast
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:43   #10

Just got one (didn't even get a chance to try) from Amazon, sold by SereneLife i think. My sister has two of them and they work great.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:46   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My daughter has one and I can't even stand up on it and I love it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Hala boards are really high quality. I use a Carbon Playa as my getting around board, and it also serves as a longboard for surfing, and then a Hala Gram as a lighter quicker board. If you're not surfing, then a longer board will give you more speed, something like a Hala Nass (say it fast

I like! Been using an Uli board to surf, but they’re not made any more. I’ve been wanting a shorter board than my 9’ to surf, gonna check out the Hala.
Old 23-03-2021, 17:19   #13

Boat: S&S Catalina 38
Re: Inflatable paddleboards

We bought an inflatable board from Tower, and have used it extensively over the last 4 years. Definitely echo the comment above to inflate to max psi, which makes a huge difference in performance and stability. We like it so much we just ordered another.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:51   #14

I only inflate our boards to max pressure if we’re surfing or I’m going to go on a long power paddle. We’ve seen or heard of several of the Tower boards blowing up in the sun. Could happen to any board if left in the sun at Max pressure. Inflatables have come a long way the last few years, the seams are much stronger.
Old 23-03-2021, 17:51   #15

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Those of you who are responding, please answer this question: Do you regularly inflate and deflate your paddleboard most times when you use it or do you leave it inflated most of the time?
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable