Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38   #1

Has anyone tried Flexseal below the waterline?

I saw youtube video of a Sweedish sailor who used a rubber paint below the waterline. I was wondering if they use Flex Seal? The product says it can be used on fiberglass. Has anyone tried this?
Joel Sequeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:50   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Has anyone tried Flexseal below the waterline?

Flex Seal (and all their products) is a product intended as a band aide for people who can't or don't know how to make a proper repair. There is nothing it can be used on that a better repair can't be done with the proper materials and techniques.

To answer your question, no, I have not tried Flex Seal on my hull, nor will I.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27   #3

Thanks, But I was more thinking of a bottom coat for my dink to prevent barnacles from attaching themselves. The video (Ran Sailing) stated they had no barnacles after almost 5 years.
Joel Sequeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Really, then they should patent the product because they are about to make millions.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:49   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Joel,
I bought Flexseal tape to secure a hairline crack in a plastic electrical conduit that would have required a major project to replace. It is an incredibly tenacious tape that continues to bond even after the initial application and will work underwater. It will now be part of my boat's toolbox. However, I don't think it would be suited, long-term, to your proposed application. . . and no barnacles after 5 years????? Perhaps it's made of Cryptonite. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:10   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Sequeira View Post
I saw youtube video of a Sweedish sailor who used a rubber paint below the waterline. I was wondering if they use Flex Seal? The product says it can be used on fiberglass. Has anyone tried this?
Flex seal is not terribly expensive so I would order some and make a test panel. See how the test panel performs versus an untreated panel as well as a panel with the bottom paint you're using now. You will find out how it works within a year most likely. If it works as well as or better than your current bottom paint then it's worth trying it on your boat. If it "only" works as well as your current bottom paint then you'll save a lot of money. If it works better then you'll save money and time as well as have to haul out less often. Keep us posted.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:20   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I was curious if the tape is as shown for underwater applications. If so, it would seem like a good thing to have onboard for an emergency repair. I'm a sceptic when it come to TVs call now and get two just pay S&H.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I just went to Amazon.com and they sell Flexseal. It consistently gets four to four and a half stars out of a possible five. Naturally, there are always a few who don't like it but the vast majority say it works well. I had a neighbor who used it above the waterline on his 25 foot boat and he swears by it.

Besides, didn't you see Phil Swift saw the aluminum dinghy in half and fix it with Flexseal!! Given that it is inexpensive I am going to buy a can and see if it works as promised.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:37   #9

rhino guard truck bed liner paint is will actually work but it has to be professionally installed as t goes on hot
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41   #10

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I saw a Leopard 39 that hit a channel buoy dead on one bow at night due to a serious error by the hired skipper. Split the starboard bow of the boat from top to bottom, and put a fist size divet right in the center. The boat had a half inch crack below the waterline. By the time I saw the damage the hired skipper had sprayed the whole thing down with flex seal and was using a fiberglass repair kit from NAPA to fix the below waterline damage.

This happened in not long after leaving their home port, and the hired skipper intended to continue sailing the boat 1200 miles to St. Thomas held together with flex seal and a thin layer of fiberglass.

The owner finally came to his senses and had a real fiberglass man come have a look. The boat not only had a crack up to an inch wide in the bow, and a fist size divet, but the cross beam attachment points were badly cracked. The owner fired the captain, and took his boat home for repairs.

I was in absolute shock that the owner didn't fire the guy the instant the words "Flex Seal" came out of his mouth.

I almost forgot. They hit the Buoy when the "captain" had them heading out to sea ahead of a predicted two solid days of 40+ knot winds running counter to the gulf stream. I think I would have fired him at that point and saved myself a lot of grief.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:42   #11

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Don't buy flexseal... they hand it out like candy at boat shows. Half my chemical storage locker is the sample sizes!

It's useful for dipping wire matings into to keep the moisture out. I used it in the anchor locker where my foot pedal wires were joined with some ancor quick connects back to the solenoid. I was also thinking about coating the top of the connection on the windlass.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:09   #12

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

We seem to be addressing two different products, the tape, and the stuff in a can. Both have a purpose on a boat, although not for repairs involving a permanent fix. I'd like to see replies that deal with the apparent intent of the original post -barnacles (and, implicitly, other life that attach to vessel bottoms and grow).
Old 07-11-2017, 12:36   #13

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

I have been following RAN Sailing, I cannot remember an episode where they mention flex seal, what episode number are you referring to?
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
We seem to be addressing two different products, the tape, and the stuff in a can. Both have a purpose on a boat, although not for repairs involving a permanent fix. I'd like to see replies that deal with the apparent intent of the original post -barnacles (and, implicitly, other life that attach to vessel bottoms and grow).
That seen ridiculous. I thought it was marketed as a sealant.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Don't buy flexseal... they hand it out like candy at boat shows. Half my chemical storage locker is the sample sizes!

It's useful for dipping wire matings into to keep the moisture out. I used it in the anchor locker where my foot pedal wires were joined with some ancor quick connects back to the solenoid. I was also thinking about coating the top of the connection on the windlass.
"Liquid Electrical Tape" is a rubberlike product sold in a can with a brush for sealing electrical connections and has been available for years.

Tags
water