Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47   #16

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Has anyone tried Flexseal below the waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I was curious if the tape is as shown for underwater applications. If so, it would seem like a good thing to have onboard for an emergency repair. I'm a sceptic when it come to TVs call now and get two just pay S&H.

I've recently been wondering the same, emergency repair possibilities. I agree that using it for any type of permanent repair would be crazy, and I think just the weight issue would preclude using it for a bottom job. But, a temporary repair for an under the waterline problem might work. At least it might give you the ability to stop the flow of water enough to affect something more permanent.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:01   #17

I am trying this product on my dingy. It's a rib, don't know if it will work on the fiberglass, but is supposed to work on hypalon, pvc, and rubber. So far, so good on the pontoons.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...e+Bottom+Paint
Movinon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:08   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I bought my roll of Flexseal 4" tape at Menards. If you want a good experiment, cut a piece of tape and apply it to anything. Then, try to remove it. I think it's a good product. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 07-11-2017, 14:57   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Deck Salon

I used the tape on my HDPE water tank, and nothing sticks to that stuff! Well it did! And it held ! I flashed the tank quickly with a propane torch rasped the surface and Voila!
Highly recommend this stuff, and used the paint to seal some electric winches ive installed on my davits

Im a happy camper and highly recommend some of this stuff in your emergency kit!
furisgrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 16:24   #20

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

OUCH!
Leviathan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 16:48   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
That seen ridiculous. I thought it was marketed as a sealant.
Might be, but marketing focus does not limit the potential uses of a product. The possible additional use is what piqued my interest.
Old 07-11-2017, 17:17   #22

Boat: Tartan 37

The tape should be in ever body's locker, the stuff is beyond amazing. If Robert Redford had it he wouldn't of sank. The stuff is really unbelievable for emergency repairs. I do know a guy with an older boat. When he gets a deck leak he sprays white flexseal on it. Leak stopped, some repairs over 8 years.

If you carry ducktape, flexseal tape is a better quick fix. Also Gorilla tape is a better than most duck tapes.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 19:21   #23

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

There is a silicone rubber type coating called Intersleek made by International for an underwater release product. Check their website.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:22   #24

Boat: Lots of boats.

I think this stuff was originally intended to be used as a gutter seal. Been on TV for a very long time. I too thought the wide tape would be great for an emergency. This topic coming up is a good reminder for me to get some for my emergency kit.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:48   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It's great to see reviews of a product that are so positive.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 13:00   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Sequeira View Post
Thanks, But I was more thinking of a bottom coat for my dink to prevent barnacles from attaching themselves. The video (Ran Sailing) stated they had no barnacles after almost 5 years.
I am very skeptical of any claim that FlexSeal is effective in deterring or repelling barnacles or any other fouling growth. For a coating to do this it must either contain a biocide and have a method to deliver that biocide to the boundary layer between the coating surface and the water, or it must be too slick for fouling to readily attach. FlexSeal has neither of these properties.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 13:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I am very skeptical of any claim that FlexSeal is effective in deterring or repelling barnacles or any other fouling growth. For a coating to do this it must either contain a biocide and have a method to deliver that biocide to the boundary layer between the coating surface and the water, or it must be too slick for fouling to readily attach. FlexSeal has neither of these properties.
I would agree! To be the devil's advocate, if it is flexible enough maybe barnacles can't keep a grip. That one is a show me.
Old 08-11-2017, 13:29   #28
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
To be the devil's advocate, if it is flexible enough maybe barnacles can't keep a grip.
If an inflatable dinghy collects barnacles without FlexSeal on it, it will collect barnacles with FlexSeal on it. The flexing is going to be same, same, all samey same, with or without the coating.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 14:08   #29

Quote:
If an inflatable dinghy collects barnacles without FlexSeal on it, it will collect barnacles with FlexSeal on it. The flexing is going to be same, same, all samey same, with or without the coating.
As I said, that's a show me. I'm more convinced hot pepper in house paint works. I'm 74 and heard that from a guy that age when I was 35. A dock builder that said piling were done that way, prior to creosote/.
Old 08-11-2017, 21:05   #30

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
A you absolutely sure slick or poison (a biocide) are the only two ways? If so, what is the basis for the statement? And why are you so sure FlexSeal lacks either or both? While I am not in any particular disagreement with you, I also tend to be skeptical of unsupported absolute claims. While this is complete speculation on my part, maybe it tastes bad to a baby barnacle, or repels the adhesive that allows tiny barnacles to attach to a surface.

Tags
water