Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 10:48   #16

Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LByers View Post
I'll be giving free sails on a 63' gaff-rigged schooner named Lavengro on Saturday at the Boat Show. Sign up for the 10am, 11:30am, or 1pm sail. You probably won't be looking for a boat anything like this one but I'll be the Captain and I can help you with info about sailboat charters, schools, and boat clubs. Or just stop by and say hi. Cheers!
Are kids able to come aboard as well? We have our 16, 15, 7 year olds that are gonna be with us at the show ...
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:58   #17

Boat: Catalina 38

One more thing you have to consider is the insurance coverage. Before you build up your sailing resume, it might be difficult to get it at reasonable premium to own or charter a boat. I myself stayed in a sailing club for more than 10 years, and chartered boats of similar size of my targeted boat for a few times before I actually purchased one.
LanceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 11:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceT View Post
One more thing you have to consider is the insurance coverage. Before you build up your sailing resume, it might be difficult to get it at reasonable premium to own or charter a boat. I myself stayed in a sailing club for more than 10 years, and chartered boats of similar size of my targeted boat for a few times before I actually purchased one.
For sure, I plan on documenting all of our trips as well as us taking classes at Shilshole before we even remotely get close to purchasing anything. Don't really want higher premiums from the get-go!
Old 13-09-2017, 15:34   #19

Boat: Seaward 25

I think before you go too far down this road it might be useful to call around to various marinas that you might want permanent or temporary moorage at and discuss availability (and cost) for big catamarans. They are out there but are often end or side ties that are not the most desireable spot in the marina and likely have a long or slow advancing wait list.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:10   #20

That's a good idea. We'll have a bit of time once we finally make the decision to buy one as we've probably got a year or two before we get to the decision point plus wait time once the order has been placed which has been running about a year or more for some of these models! All said, we've probably got 2-3 years till delivery so we should be able to at least find a slip here in the greater Seattle area, even if its not at the marina we want, until the right slip opens up

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
I think before you go too far down this road it might be useful to call around to various marinas that you might want permanent or temporary moorage at and discuss availability (and cost) for big catamarans. They are out there but are often end or side ties that are not the most desireable spot in the marina and likely have a long or slow advancing wait list.
Old 15-09-2017, 11:07   #21

Boat: Leopard 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
I wouldn't stress too much over this. While it is true it's harder to find moorage for a large cat it's possible. We have a Leopard 43 and have been able to find moorage at multiple marinas. You may have to get on a waiting list for the "perfect" marina but there is moorage available if you look hard enough.
Old 15-09-2017, 11:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfadler View Post
I wouldn't stress too much over this. While it is true it's harder to find moorage for a large cat it's possible. We have a Leopard 43 and have been able to find moorage at multiple marinas. You may have to get on a waiting list for the "perfect" marina but there is moorage available if you look hard enough.
Agreed, there's TONS of Marinas here in Seattle, we should be able to find SOMETHING if we had to with short notice.

What year is your 43 Rick? We've been eyeing the Leopards also
Old 15-09-2017, 11:18   #23

Boat: Leopard 43

Sounds like you have lots of positive replies which is great. I can't offer to take you sailing in the near future but would be happy to invite you by our boat in a few weeks if you'd like.

We have a plan similar to what you describe only we're a few years ahead of you and maybe a smaller budget. We purchased our 2005 Leopard 43 out of a charter fleet in the BVI about five years ago. We kept her in charter there for a couple of seasons in a second tier fleet then sailed her to Costa Rica where we loaded her onto a ship to be delivered to Victoria. We then put her in a charter fleet in Anacortes and she just finished her very last bareboat charter trip two days ago. We're now moving her to Seattle for a major refit before we retire and head south next fall.

I'm still working on arranging moorage in Seattle but hope to get that resolved today then I'll be bringing her down from Anacortes in a couple of weeks.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to stop by the boat. I think she's a good example of what you get when you purchase a boat out of a charter fleet. A lot of wear and tear but not as bad as some on CF portray it.
Old 15-09-2017, 15:27   #24

Marine service center Anacortes has a Gemini 34 cat for sail, its not nearly as nice as a bran new FP40 but its also 1/4 the price. We are in much the same boat and will be at the show on Friday with our two little ones as well (4 and 1) if you'd like to meet up.

I have been sailing for the past year on a local race boat, and the owner has taken my wife and oldest out on a non race day for a fun sail. I would call up the yacht clubs and see if they can put your name out there as interested crew, its not the same as cruising but it is a free ride and you learn a LOT about sailing.
FSJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfadler View Post
Sounds like you have lots of positive replies which is great. I can't offer to take you sailing in the near future but would be happy to invite you by our boat in a few weeks if you'd like.

We have a plan similar to what you describe only we're a few years ahead of you and maybe a smaller budget. We purchased our 2005 Leopard 43 out of a charter fleet in the BVI about five years ago. We kept her in charter there for a couple of seasons in a second tier fleet then sailed her to Costa Rica where we loaded her onto a ship to be delivered to Victoria. We then put her in a charter fleet in Anacortes and she just finished her very last bareboat charter trip two days ago. We're now moving her to Seattle for a major refit before we retire and head south next fall.

I'm still working on arranging moorage in Seattle but hope to get that resolved today then I'll be bringing her down from Anacortes in a couple of weeks.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to stop by the boat. I think she's a good example of what you get when you purchase a boat out of a charter fleet. A lot of wear and tear but not as bad as some on CF portray it.
Rick, I live up in Oak Harbor and would love talk to you about your experiences /choices. let me know when you are coming to pick up your boat and ill buy you lunch if you like.
Old 15-09-2017, 21:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJunky View Post
Marine service center Anacortes has a Gemini 34 cat for sail, its not nearly as nice as a bran new FP40 but its also 1/4 the price. We are in much the same boat and will be at the show on Friday with our two little ones as well (4 and 1) if you'd like to meet up.

I have been sailing for the past year on a local race boat, and the owner has taken my wife and oldest out on a non race day for a fun sail. I would call up the yacht clubs and see if they can put your name out there as interested crew, its not the same as cruising but it is a free ride and you learn a LOT about sailing.
Oh you were at the boat show today? Too bad, we'll be there tomorrow with our 16, 15, 7 year old kiddos! Would've enjoyed meeting up. PM me if you're gonna be there tomorrow. We'll be there from around 11-2(ish) then going sailing with the Halien crew (thanks again Kevin and Julie, we're all so excited!!).

My dad recommended joining a racing crew, this gives me more to consider with that. I've heard its can be an amazing learning experience!

Scott
Old 15-09-2017, 22:11   #27

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Also check out the NW Multihull Association, most of the folks are trimaran types, but there is one guy w/ a Mahe 36, maybe others on the list I haven't met. My boat is on the east coast, should be home to Seattle in March if you are still looking. More of a sailors boat than a comfy charter cat. You could also talk to Matthew Dunning at the Multihull Company, he's in Tacoma. He was at the show last year selling a Fusion 40, not sure if they are displaying anything this year. One of his other clients had a Catana that they chartered out in the south sound, but heard he was selling it, so not sure if its still available.

San Juan Sailing has a Seawind 1160 and a Nautitech Open 40. Worth a call to see if they'd give you a daysail - or better yet buy a lesson, they take you sailing, you learn a few things, and it might be cheaper than a charter.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 10:04   #28

If you did not get my pm keep an eye out for us on sat. We will probably be the only gamely with a Spider-Man backpack and a little girl in a Snow White outfit
Old 25-09-2017, 09:34   #29

Just a quick update, we went out with "Halien" after the boat show on the 16th and had a great time motor sailing around Elliot Bay (thanks again Kevin!!). We're working on setting up another sail with "Jcord" on their 2016 Jeanneau which we're really looking forward to, just working on setting a date

If anyone else is feeling generous, we'd love to go for a sail! It looks like the weather is going to start shifting pretty rapidly so hopefully we can get one or two in before the season really ends for the year.

Thank you again everyone for being so kind and open with your time and your boats, we really appreciate it!!!

Scott and Lisa

Tags
oregon, sail, seattle