Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45   #1

Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Hey all! 1st time poster, recent lurker and beginning sailor(s) here! My wife and I live in the Seattle area and have been talking about buying a Catamaran and moving on board till retirement in early to mid 50's (we're in late 30's now). I've sailed a few times on monohulls and my wife has been out once on a monohull. She's on board with our plan of moving onto a Cat but wants to make sure that she actually ENJOYS sailing! Yeah yeah, I know, how could she NOT right?!?!

Well I keep reading forums and FB posts, watching tons of Sailing channels on YouTube (Cheeky Monkey, Out Chasing Stars, MJ Sailing, Catamaran Impi, Trio Travels. etc. etc.). We went and looked at the Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40 that Signature Yachts has and both my wife and I fell in love with it but feel we may want to get the bigger Helia 44 for the interior space, the topside lounge and the extra exterior and stowage space.

My dad grew up sailing and racing single mast and multi-mast sailboats in the Puget Sound and I feel it in my blood that cruising is what I want to do, we just need to make sure the Wife is not just on board but enthusiastic about taking this life altering plunge!!

So the reason for my post is a question, would anyone be willing to take us out sailing for an afternoon or weekend, either on a monohull or, preferably, on a catamaran??? We can bring some yummy grub and drinks (we don't drink alcohol ourselves), are willing to do any tasks needed on board to prep/while underway/at dock and would love to go out with another couple and chat about sailing, the life, pros and cons, etc. We'd be willing to drive down to Oregon or up to British Columbia if someone had it in the kindness of their hearts to show a couple of burgeoning sailors the ropes and educate us on why this is all so awesome?!?!

We'll be at the boat show this weekend if you'd like to meet us first, make sure we aren't total weirdos We're going on Saturday and will be around the sailboat and catamaran area (hoping there are more Cats than just the FP Lucia 40 there!).

Thank you SO MUCH in advance!!

Also, if I posted this in the wrong area, MODS please feel free to move!
skeeter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 13:14   #2

Re: Greater Seattle Area (Oregon and BC TOO!!) - NOOBS Looking for a Sail!!

Should I post this in the Meets & Greets area instead??
Old 12-09-2017, 15:32   #3

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Maybe see if there are any local yacht clubs you can join that accept members without boats? We'd be pleased to take you out for a day, but aren't exactly local to you. Also look at facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sailing/ to see if you can find some local sailors there.

You may want to consider getting a smaller boat first, and sail the snot out of it. Much easier having docking adventures, anchoring adventures, sail changes, all happen on a boat that costs little as you won't be nearly as stressed. Get something for under 10 grand, (27' or so), and after a year sell it and move up. Big boats have big depreciation. Learning to fix things on a small boat is easier too.

It's a lot more fun learning on something where the financial consequences of errors is not life altering. Learn to drive on a beater, then look for your Ferrari. Treat yourself like you would a 16 year old looking for your help to buy their first car.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 07:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post
Maybe see if there are any local yacht clubs you can join that accept members without boats? We'd be pleased to take you out for a day, but aren't exactly local to you. Also look at facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sailing/ to see if you can find some local sailors there.

You may want to consider getting a smaller boat first, and sail the snot out of it. Much easier having docking adventures, anchoring adventures, sail changes, all happen on a boat that costs little as you won't be nearly as stressed. Get something for under 10 grand, (27' or so), and after a year sell it and move up. Big boats have big depreciation. Learning to fix things on a small boat is easier too.

It's a lot more fun learning on something where the financial consequences of errors is not life altering. Learn to drive on a beater, then look for your Ferrari. Treat yourself like you would a 16 year old looking for your help to buy their first car.
Yeah we've talked about joining a sailing club also and that'll most likely be the next step. We'd like to get a sail or two under our belts before we make that plunge, though

We talked about getting a smaller boat first and we'll probably do that also, but more around a 38-40' Cat. We really want to get our experience with Cats as my wife DOES NOT like heeling over, especially with our 7 year old and dog, it scares her too much. So Cats it is

Vancouver Island isn't local but it isn't that far away either and gives a nice excuse for a ferry ride up to the island! If you're serious, drop me a PM and let's see if we can work something out! Thank you so much!!!

Scott
Old 13-09-2017, 07:27   #5
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

there are charter companies in Both WA and BC that have cats. Consider doing a week long cruise and learn charter. Gain some time on a cat and some education at the same time. Just a thought
Old 13-09-2017, 07:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
there are charter companies in Both WA and BC that have cats. Consider doing a week long cruise and learn charter. Gain some time on a cat and some education at the same time. Just a thought
Yep, I've looked into those briefly and we've talked about doing that also!
Old 13-09-2017, 07:50   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Yep, I've looked into those briefly and we've talked about doing that also!
Nanaimo Yacht Charters has a brand new Lagoon 42 that I have been dying to take out. If you want to pay the charter fee I'll definitely take you out!
Old 13-09-2017, 08:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Nanaimo Yacht Charters has a brand new Lagoon 42 that I have been dying to take out. If you want to pay the charter fee I'll definitely take you out!
Ooh, yeah I like those! I wonder if they do day sails?? It's only showing week long pricing options, at least on the website ...
Old 13-09-2017, 08:03   #9

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Ooh, yeah I like those! I wonder if they do day sails?? It's only showing week long pricing options, at least on the website ...
Not as far as I know, but it never hurts to ask. A week-long cruise and learn would be a great option.
Old 13-09-2017, 08:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Not as far as I know, but it never hurts to ask. A week-long cruise and learn would be a great option.
Yeah I'll drop them a line, it's BEAUTIFUL up there!
Old 13-09-2017, 08:21   #11

We, my husband and myself, live on Bainbridge Island and have a beautiful 2016 Jeanneau. We would be happy to have to sail one time with us and see what you think. We are going to be at the boat show on Friday but sailing with friends on saturday. If your interested let me know I will send our email to you.
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcord View Post
We, my husband and myself, live on Bainbridge Island and have a beautiful 2016 Jeanneau. We would be happy to have to sail one time with us and see what you think. We are going to be at the boat show on Friday but sailing with friends on saturday. If your interested let me know I will send our email to you.
Oh wow yeah that'd be amazing! I just told my wife and she's VERY excited too!! I'll drop you a PM. Oh, and Jeanneau's are my FAVORITE sailboats so nice choice
Old 13-09-2017, 09:09   #13

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I suggest the Meetup app - several good Seattle / puget sound sailing groups.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:25   #14

Send a message via ICQ to LByers

I'll be giving free sails on a 63' gaff-rigged schooner named Lavengro on Saturday at the Boat Show. Sign up for the 10am, 11:30am, or 1pm sail. You probably won't be looking for a boat anything like this one but I'll be the Captain and I can help you with info about sailboat charters, schools, and boat clubs. Or just stop by and say hi. Cheers!
RPBA Instructor
www.professionalyachtdelivery.com
LByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
I suggest the Meetup app - several good Seattle / puget sound sailing groups.
I'll take a look at it, thanks for the heads up!

Tags
oregon, sail, seattle