Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 17:21   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Many people thought Charlie Morgan had drastically compromised yacht design when he produced the Out Island series. 'not always invited to the dance, but these classics have been my only home for 44 years.

I've never "restored", but just maintained my 1973 for decades!
Old 12-02-2016, 17:27   #107

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Many people thought Charlie Morgan had drastically compromised yacht design when he produced the Out Island series. 'not always invited to the dance, but these classics have been my only home for 44 years.

I'd say that Charlie Morgan and the Out Islands definitely qualify as "classics!"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 20:56   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainui View Post
Check out these videos of a restoration of a Cal 40.

I wish that I had seen this before I started!

WOW - thanks for this. The Cal 40 was the first big boat I ever raced. Very fast in its day. I noticed now (not then) the flat bottom & modified hard chine. Explains a lot about its performance.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:20   #109

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Very few other boats have so perfectly fullfilled the design intent.
Old 20-02-2016, 18:25   #110

You owners of Rhodes Reliants, Rhodes 41 and Bounty II, can you chime in and let us know how you like them? I continue to be drawn to any ad for one of those no matter where they are! I am pretty sure that is my next boat... someday
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-02-2016, 18:51   #111

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

My Buchan 37 left the shop on Thursday:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160218_154201-1.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	119338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160218_170104-1.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	119339  

Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 18:57   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
My Buchan 37 left the shop on Thursday:
WOW, beautiful! And rare, I wonder how many of them are still to be found up there? Any more shots of her?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-02-2016, 19:13   #113

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Thanks - I think the Buchan 37 is to the PNW what the Cal 40 is to California. A couple of deck pics below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160218_090122-1.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	119340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160218_142822-2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	119341  

Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 19:41   #114

I purchased a 1973 33' Morgan OI last fall. I paid 10K, and another 5K to get it ready to bring home (11 day trip single hand from Barnegat Bay NJ to Washington NC). I had it pulled, bottom painted, new mast lights, new running lights, (new unfinished) DC & AC breaker panels finished wiring, a pair of new deep discharge glass mat batteries to be the house battery. 1/2 way home I had to get the packing gland repacked. Almost home and the gland nut "fell off" and started leaking a dozen gallons an hour or even more.

But I love that boat. At 33' it is small enough to single hand but at 12' beam it has a ton of interior room. Positively spacious (for a single hander). And with a 4' draft it will go pretty much anywhere.

It was in pretty stellar shape when I got it, and I have just done piddling stuff to it so far.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 19:47   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
Thanks - I think the Buchan 37 is to the PNW what the Cal 40 is to California. A couple of deck pics below:
Incredible, she looks like new! Any interior shots? Why not post them at the plastic classics group too?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-02-2016, 14:05   #116

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You owners of Rhodes Reliants, Rhodes 41 and Bounty II, can you chime in and let us know how you like them? I continue to be drawn to any ad for one of those no matter where they are! I am pretty sure that is my next boat... someday
Hi Don,

I'm probably not a great person to ask. Although I've been sailing my whole life, and sailing keel boats for the past 15 years or so, I've never gone fast, and have barely left Rhode Island.

For what we do, which is loads of daysailing, a handful of weekends, and the occasional week here and there, the boat is great. It helps that I'm an engineer and use the various repairs/upgrades as a way to relax and "be the boss" on a project.

The cabin is plenty big enough for my wife and I to be totally comfortable while on the hook, and I'm sure we could squeeze a couple kids in there just fine, too, but its not what you'd expect from a 40 footer.

The 28 foot waterline limits your hull speed, and it makes us feel a bit more bouncy that you'd expect in a swell.

The cockpit is pretty wet (and the asymmetrical cabin trunk makes the dodger design a compromise) but in typical bay conditions, its a really huge, beautiful space to kick back enjoy a day of sailing.

The boat's certainly tender. I've got basically no experience with modern keel boats, so I'm used to sailing a boat on her ears, but that just makes the whole thing that much wetter in a blow, and maneuvering around can be a bit of a trick. Helm position is awesome though, in all conditions I've been in.

I love having a mizzen. Jib + jigger is an great way to take people sailing on a windy day without them having their stomach in their throat, and I usually put up a reefed mizzen while anchored to just stabilize everything, keep us nice and steady. I feel like the more things you to do filter out motion, the less likely your hook will work itself loose. Plus its more comfortable. The mizzen is also just another thing to goof with under sail. Isn't that what its all about? I'm pretty sure she's actually faster if converted to a sloop, though, which is not terribly difficult.

She's stoutly built, for sure, I don't know what folks have against Cheoy Lee, perhaps other models where the designer wasn't so involved in the build are more likely to have problems. Take a look at the hull/deck interface, the huge knees for the chainplates, the layup schedule, the size and arrangement of bulkheads, the 3/8" thick top layer of deck laminate... I could go on and on about the stuff that impresses me with the build.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:45   #117

Boat: Orca 38
Got a plastic classic?

Don,

I know this boat, and she is indeed drop dead gorgeous inside. She's not to shabby on the outside either.

The owner keeps her well maintained.

I'm not much of a fan of those long overhangs, but she sure looks smart out in the bay.
Old 22-02-2016, 16:38   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Hi Don,

I'm probably not a great person to ask. Although I've been sailing my whole life, and sailing keel boats for the past 15 years or so, I've never gone fast, and have barely left Rhode Island.

For what we do, which is loads of daysailing, a handful of weekends, and the occasional week here and there, the boat is great. It helps that I'm an engineer and use the various repairs/upgrades as a way to relax and "be the boss" on a project.

The cabin is plenty big enough for my wife and I to be totally comfortable while on the hook, and I'm sure we could squeeze a couple kids in there just fine, too, but its not what you'd expect from a 40 footer.

The 28 foot waterline limits your hull speed, and it makes us feel a bit more bouncy that you'd expect in a swell.

The cockpit is pretty wet (and the asymmetrical cabin trunk makes the dodger design a compromise) but in typical bay conditions, its a really huge, beautiful space to kick back enjoy a day of sailing.

The boat's certainly tender. I've got basically no experience with modern keel boats, so I'm used to sailing a boat on her ears, but that just makes the whole thing that much wetter in a blow, and maneuvering around can be a bit of a trick. Helm position is awesome though, in all conditions I've been in.

I love having a mizzen. Jib + jigger is an great way to take people sailing on a windy day without them having their stomach in their throat, and I usually put up a reefed mizzen while anchored to just stabilize everything, keep us nice and steady. I feel like the more things you to do filter out motion, the less likely your hook will work itself loose. Plus its more comfortable. The mizzen is also just another thing to goof with under sail. Isn't that what its all about? I'm pretty sure she's actually faster if converted to a sloop, though, which is not terribly difficult.

She's stoutly built, for sure, I don't know what folks have against Cheoy Lee, perhaps other models where the designer wasn't so involved in the build are more likely to have problems. Take a look at the hull/deck interface, the huge knees for the chainplates, the layup schedule, the size and arrangement of bulkheads, the 3/8" thick top layer of deck laminate... I could go on and on about the stuff that impresses me with the build.
Thanks for that! Yes, my boat is tender too, but I think those long overhangs start to shine once she is over to her (I am figuring) normal 20-25 degree heel. And actually she should do ok in light air as she'll have a lower wetted surface. My boat is of a similar design genre, so it can be a bit wet too, but that is normal to me. I hope you'll post some shots.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-02-2016, 13:09   #119

Boat: Cape Dory 25

I made some good progress this weekend, installed the rub rails and toe rails, cabin handrails, engine cover board and the stbd. coaming board.
little by little she's starting to take shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD2502016 005.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	119470   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD2502016 002.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	119471  

Name:	CD2502016 003.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	119472  
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 15:31   #120

Plastic Classic social group members, don't forget to post shots of your boat... or one you wish was your boat.. or one that used to be your boat...
And if anyone can suggest a better name than "plastic classic" I'll change the group name!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37