Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2022, 04:40   #256

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Encouraging live aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Wow 30 minutes of my life utterly wasted. Where do they find these people.
I still won’t waste the bandwidth to open a single YouTube sailing video.

I’ve been sailing for closing in on 35 years and have owned a boat that whole time.

Why would I want to watch other people doing it?

It’s like watching other people drive a car (from inside the car). Unless they are going way faster than you, what’s the point?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 05:04   #257
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

I’ve been sailing for closing in on 35 years and have owned a boat that whole time.

It’s like watching other people drive a car (from inside the car). Unless they are going way faster than you, what’s the point?

Have you entered the YouTube world to try to come up with any ideas for your projects? Refrigeration, mast splice etc?
It can be an absolute treasure trove of good info and some bad, just like the sailing channels.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 05:19   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Have you entered the YouTube world to try to come up with any ideas for your projects? Refrigeration, mast splice etc?
It can be an absolute treasure trove of good info and some bad, just like the sailing channels.
No. It was much easier to just search quickly online for the refrigerator. I found it. I bought it. I have it.

And then when it comes to the mast splice , yes. Google did return I believe two videos of people doing mast splices

But instead of just a video about mast splicing , they are 20 minutes long with somebody yammering on about their cat or their sailing adventures with some five minute intro music and graphics. . Like it doesn’t get to the point.

I seem to not have enough free time to just watch videos for hours on end. It seems like a waste a lot of time here posting, but I don’t. It only takes a couple minutes here and there during the day. You don’t have to sit down and waste an hour at a time to figure out one thing

Also, I much prefer the sort of roundtable discussions that we have here. Just because you saw something on a YouTube video does not make it fact. Nor does it make it the correct or right approach. Instead, the round robin type of discussion we have here brings it around to the right answer eventually. And not only that, interesting outside of the box thinking takes place.

So for my specific needs, I much prefer the forum. Those guys on YouTube aren’t as smart as you are.
Old 19-11-2022, 05:25   #259
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Encouraging live aboards

I’ve saved hundreds of dollars on appliance repair by watching how to’s on YouTube.
The best was a $1-1.5k savings on a new ac compressor for my truck. The mechanic said it needed a new compressor but after some research online and through YouTube it turned out being a 20 minute job and less than $2.00 worth of shims.
Well worth my time! When it comes to saving money I have no shame.[emoji23]
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 05:44   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’ve saved hundreds of dollars on appliance repair by watching how to’s on YouTube.
The best was a $1-1.5k savings on a new ac compressor for my truck. The mechanic said it needed a new compressor but after some research online and through YouTube it turned out being a 20 minute job and less than $2.00 worth of shims.
Well worth my time! When it comes to saving money I have no shame.[emoji23]

Oh, of course. That’s different. That’s a specific exact item. If you can search by model number on some thing, yes there are videos to fix things. It would be better if it wasn’t a video and if it was just a simple website with pictures. Because you could figure it out in under two minutes. Instead of 20, with half of that some guy rambling on about his dog, But I hear you.

When you ask rivets or screws to splice a mast, that’s not going to be answered on YouTube. I guess that’s my point. I don’t have the kind of questions that are easily answered by looking at a premade video. Everything is custom that I’m doing. So it kind of requires custom answers. There’s no model number to look up. Do you know what I mean?
Old 19-11-2022, 05:50   #261

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

The first video is an attempt to show a behind-the-scenes of their day-to-day life, as opposed to their usual "how we did this boat project" or "here's this neat place we visited".

The second video describes how they filmed the first - camera setups, etc.

I posted these because they document just how much work goes into creating these videos.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 06:12   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
The first video is an attempt to show a behind-the-scenes of their day-to-day life, as opposed to their usual "how we did this boat project" or "here's this neat place we visited".

The second video describes how they filmed the first - camera setups, etc.

I posted these because they document just how much work goes into creating these videos.
Oh yeah. There’s no doubt about that. It’s way too much work for the return. That’s why I don’t do it.

I had thought about it a little bit. Years ago. Before it became big. I had all the right ingredients for it. But, it’s way too much work and effort and you can’t enjoy your life while you were making those videos. They sacrifice everything.

Instead of being in the moment, you are constantly trying to figure out how to make content . It’s not a good life. It’s not a good job. I wouldn’t do it.

It’s better to make your money elsewhere and enjoy sailing and enjoy travel. You can destroy all of the enjoyment by turning it into a job like that. And it’s a full-time job to do that.

Even doing charters, which I did instead of YouTube, ruined about half of the fun of sailing. You had to go to certain destinations where the charter guests were. Not where you wanted to go. Even if you booked up only 50% of the time, that’s 50% of your time on the boat lost. 25% of the time you would have to rest, and then 25% more you got to actually enjoy.

Doing YouTube? You pretty much lose the whole thing. You are stuck creating new content constantly. Publish or perish

There’s definitely nothing to envy about people you see on YouTube.
Old 19-11-2022, 07:42   #263

I'm doing good to remember to take any pictures (forget about videos) when I'm sailing and I want to have some to share with friends and family. I realized a long time ago that if I have a lot of pictures or videos of a trip that means I had someone else along for the ride. Almost everything I shoot is either early morning or early evening at anchor.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 09:04   #264
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I'm doing good to remember to take any pictures (forget about videos) when I'm sailing and I want to have some to share with friends and family. I realized a long time ago that if I have a lot of pictures or videos of a trip that means I had someone else along for the ride. Almost everything I shoot is either early morning or early evening at anchor.
Vast majority of YouTube sailors I follow are solo and use fixed point cameras to film and they then spend a couple hours editing the videos to be posted later. They are not major names and lots of their content is actually sailing in various places on the planet.
They actually show day to day life at sea .
Old 19-11-2022, 11:58   #265

Boat: Rafiki 37

There's no doubt that anyone making more than beer money on Utube, or the related platforms, is spending significant time, effort and money making their videos. It's a hard job creating quality videos.
Old 19-11-2022, 20:05   #266

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Wow 30 minutes of my life utterly wasted. Where do they find these people.

Perhaps people say the same about you. Different strokes for different folks. Nobody is forcing you tom sit and watch.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 03:29   #267

The kindest thing that can be said about trying to use YouTube as a primary information source, is that it is not time efficient.

Yes there are great videos for specific topic areas, but personally I need it to first be recommended by a known well recommended source before I invest the time.

Now, if you ENJOY watching videos, and pick up valid knowledge along the way as a side effect, that is great.

Just be aware that the commercial corruption involved in earning a living as "an influencer" makes the odds very high that you will be led astray.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 13:58   #268

Comparisons of boat VS house do not reflect the relative value of each in the end, and a person may spend 500K on a home and then end up with a million dollar equity and then do the same on a vessel and in the end its resale value is 40 or 50 thousand. So in the end is a false comparison. And yet the reason one lives on a boat is not to save money but to have the natural setting and reflect your values, and yet this too is increasingly restricted by various regulations and rules of use. Anyway this is an old discussion, just had to add my observations.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 08:34   #269

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My life on my boat is waaaay cheaper than life on land. It’s not even close.
Ditto! It depends on the boat and the house. As a retired contractor, the last thing I ever want to do is work on a house. But I really enjoy boat work, most of it, anyway. I’m learning so much!

Plus, I only spend money when I go ashore. There’s really no place to spend money on the water. Wind is free.

There is something to said for the fact that sailing is not for everyone. Living on the water and living near the water are two completely different lifestyles. There’s plenty of opportunities to spend as much as you want in either. I have no electric bill, no water bill. Pump outs usually cost around $5. It’s free to drop anchor in most places.

I agree, marinas are just trailer parks on the water. But, there are nice trailer parks and not nice trailer parks. The real investment with boats is time. If you do the work yourself, you’ll save a ton but, that’s time you don’t get to spend sailing and exploring. There’s plenty of free stuff to do on land.

It’s not so much which one costs more, but how your own spending habits. Done right, living on a boat can be much cheaper, if you choose. Those who choose not to keep their boats in seaworthy condition, won’t be around for long. It’s a self limiting problem. Just let natural selection do what it does. Nature seeks equilibrium.
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 08:44   #270

Boat: Rafiki 37

A blast from the past SF, but I agree .

Tags
enc, Live aboard