Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 04:37   #121

Re: Defintion of a crusier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Humour? On the subject of who can spell the King's English correctly I guess our friend, Mac started off the thread with a title of "Defintion" and "crusier" so it did not set the bar very high. So anyone else who has a few typos in his (her) post needs to be forgiven.

Not sure about the rest of you but around Europe i do not see that we will be doing much "crusiering" this year. I am not even allowed to get my boat out of Bari/Italy according to the local regs, even if i could find a flight there bec Easyjet cancelled my booking. Hard to be "crusiering" if you cannot even get to yr boat.

What's the definition of cruising? #1, not being in a hurry. I am reminded of a passage in a childrens' book called Wind in the Willows which would appear to suit a lot of you guys, where Rat is taking Mole in his boat along the river to his “house”

“Believe me, my young friend”, says Water Rat to Mole as Rat sculled smartly down the river with Mole relaxing in the back seat, “there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,” he went on dreamily, “messing – about – in – boats; messing about in boats, or with boats. In or out of them it doesn’t matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that’s the charm of it. Whether you get away or whether you don’t; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you have done it there is always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you’d much better not.” Mole waggled his toes in sheer happiness, spread his chest with a sigh of full contentment, and leant back in the soft cushions. “What a Day I am having!”

Andrew
Ever since I retired, I have said "I got a job doing nothing ,Bad part is I never get finished ."
I have been planning to do great loop on ICW. Now I realize I'm planning a trip to nowhere with no return date. And if I never get there It was all worth the time doing nothing.
Thanks for that post I will save it somewhere sometime some how, As soon as I get tuit. thanks again
Old 17-03-2020, 05:13   #122

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Nice Work Macblaze, are by chance ex McKinsey or the like? You could set up a website and with a subscription revenue model to help existing/potential water folk understand their position in your 3D landscape. Maybe it would then flow through to insurance and services. Thanks for the post mate, made my day, and nice break from the Corona purge
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 08:03   #123

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDean View Post
Nice Work Macblaze, are by chance ex McKinsey or the like? You could set up a website and with a subscription revenue model to help existing/potential water folk understand their position in your 3D landscape. Maybe it would then flow through to insurance and services. Thanks for the post mate, made my day, and nice break from the Corona purge
An insurance scam...urm..."arrangement." That's a brilliant idea. Think of the millions insurance companies could charge...umm, I mean, save, if they just had my handy dandy, patented, 3D holographic, CRAP model to classify cruisers (and as many have pointed out , crusiers) before they were even allowed to take the boat out. Maybe morph it into some sort of pre-clearance, psychological test...

As for Corona/Covid. Well "real" cruisers eat quarantines for breakfast. I just taped a yellow piece of paper in my front window and made another pot of coffee.
Old 17-03-2020, 10:16   #124

Boat: Outremer 50S

I love Rat and Mole's philosophical conversation about boating - it is a bit of poetry that describes the ideal of cruising.

But I think Isak Dinesen got cruising a bit more succinctly: “The cure for anything is saltwater — sweat, tears, or the sea." Cruising involves all three, sometimes in just about equal measure.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 07:42   #125

Thanks to Macblaze
This seemed best place to ask this. I was thinking about THEM building this wall between mexico and USA. Price seems high soooo Is it cheaper to buy one or build one ? Russia had one they tore it down. China has one only being used by site seers. Everyone knows can buy cheaper from China. So. Buy china's set up between Mexico and USA .Sight seeing spot for both country's . Both make money no reason to cross it. China makes money on something not being used.
Any Ideas?
Old 22-03-2020, 08:03   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
Thanks to Macblaze
This seemed best place to ask this. I was thinking about THEM building this wall between mexico and USA. Price seems high soooo Is it cheaper to buy one or build one ? Russia had one they tore it down. China has one only being used by site seers. Everyone knows can buy cheaper from China. So. Buy china's set up between Mexico and USA .Sight seeing spot for both country's . Both make money no reason to cross it. China makes money on something not being used.
Any Ideas?
Ah, we were missing that, weren't we.

Def'n of a Crusier
Sec 4.3.1 Must be able to steer any discussion towards, guns, anchors, politics or climate change.
Old 22-03-2020, 10:23   #127

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Been thinking about your visuals, Mac... along with processing copious amounts of beverage...

Great charts, Venn diagrams, etc. but I have to say I think you might be going about it the hard way. Or maybe just the 20th Century way.

Instead, you might consider revamping your whole approach into something like OpnCSR... You know, an open source app that just takes your input and spits out an accurate description of whatever style "cruiser" one might be. Still very Macblaze-Briggs-like in concept, but we all know apps are always better. And could spit out many more than just 4x4 categories. And open source would make it the best.

So for an example, I'd answer "yes" to the following:
-powerboater? control your wake?, etc.
And then "sometimes" to these
- live aboard? move the boat? anchor out? visit distant ports? go fast? go slow? repair things en route?, etc.

And so forth. There probably could be some additional degree of categories (usually, often, sometimes, rarely or seldom, etc.) but I'll leave all those details to you.

Just be sure its open source.

-Chris
Old 22-03-2020, 16:54   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Instead, you might consider revamping your whole approach into something like OpnCSR... You know, an open source app that just takes your input and spits out an accurate description of whatever style "cruiser" one might be. Still very Macblaze-Briggs-like in concept, but we all know apps are always better. And could spit out many more than just 4x4 categories. And open source would make it the best

Just be sure its open source.

-Chris
I've forwarded the materials to my agent. I definitely want to come out of this as a Jobs not a Woz, so I decided to make all decisions based on my own personal self-aggrandizement potential. So after the agent forwards the idea to my publicist and then gets together with my lawyer and accountant I will either confirm or deny that open source is or isn't part of the forward looking path.

The app on the other hand is definitely a go... we are just trying to decided if we charge a one-time fee for a premium definition or stick with a subscription model. Cruisers are so hard to pigeon hole that its taking some time to analyze the demographics properly. If only they were simpler to categorize... oh...wait...
Old 22-03-2020, 16:59   #129

Boat: Still building

I take a more libertarian view - we each decide what we each think a crusier is or ought be.

Individual liberty rules!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 19:00   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I take a more libertarian view - we each decide what we each think a crusier is or ought be.

Individual liberty rules!
But I don't understand. How do we judge others then? Your way sounds like no fun at all.
Old 22-03-2020, 19:30   #131

Boat: Still building

That's because this is not The Joke Thread...!!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 19:38   #132

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Well then, I guess the jokes on you ... or is it me .
Old 23-03-2020, 05:08   #133

Quote:
NOT the joke thread?:fr own:
Old 23-03-2020, 09:35   #134

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
But I don't understand. How do we judge others then? Your way sounds like no fun at all.
Indeed - if we aren't going to be judgmental - why have the internet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 10:38   #135

Was Noah the first cruisier?