Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 08:40   #1

Best Crusier/racer for SF Bay...

Hi folks!
I am new to sailing and am shopping for a cruising boat that handles well in the heavy weather of SF Bay. I would like a used boat for under $50,000. Any ideas/comments/suggestions?
Harriet G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 11:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would like a used boat for under $50,000. Any ideas / comments / suggestions?
I think you might need to define your goals a bit more. Also your budget as well. Aside form the basic costs of buying a boat there is all the effort / expense of getting it all set up. If your goal is only to cruise the SF Bay then I think there are a lot more options. As for the conditions of SF Bay it really is the sailors more than the boats.

You are probably into the 27 to 33 ft range of the older boats. Brand names in this class mean almost nothing. No boat is what it was and many have been well maintained and others may not have been. Brand name isn't the real important criteria. Condition of the boat and the gear it comes with are the most important. I think you want to give up a few luxuries to get the boat that is the best shape. Replacment of items that commonly wear out could add 20% or more to the initial purchase. Updating a boat can take some time just to really understand all the parts of it and just general sailing.

If you want to do a little Internet sailing you might go over to YachtWorld.Com and use the search tool. Put in various price ranges and restrict the search area to places close to you. For boats in your price range you really won't be trucking it across the country to get it to California. This at least starts you thinking about what you might expect to find for sale. Then you need to add about $5000 to get it ready and then you can start looking into marinas to keep your boat and the costs and insurance end of the on going expenses. You may yet negotiate a price but for planning purposes these will be close enough just to see what these boats look like on paper and in pictures.

It's all about putting a lot of details together and you can find a lot already here about a lot of topics that sooner or later you may come across. Explore the forum in it's various sections as I'm sure you will find topics of both an advanced and beginner nature that will be of interest.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 12:07   #3

Boat: Tayana 48
Islander 36

A well-organized fleet on the bay, stiff enough for SF winds, roomy and comfortable enough for coastal cruising, and probably in your price budget.
Look around for one that has been loved and upgraded...there are currently 17 Islanders in California listed on Yachtworld.com, most below your $50 k limit.
Have fun
John
Old 19-02-2009, 05:57   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Check the Classy Classified ads at Latitude 38 Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine . There's an abundance of good boats in the 30-36 foot range at low prices, many with transferrable slips.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 10:30   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I agree with Merridian I36 is a nice boat that will retain its value should you want to sell in the future. Here is a link to the class association Islander 36 Association, sailing, racing, cruising and maintaining sailboats

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 14:24   #6

Does Islander 36 point well?
Harriet G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 14:31   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Islander 36 was a hot IOR design from the 70's. Does it point well is a hard question to answer. Compared to what? An America's Cup boat? No. A full keel crusing boat? yes.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, catalina, cruiser, newport, sf bay, ericson