Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2023, 20:56   #1

Cruising, Maine to Marco

trying to figure out best route to Marco, from Atlantic to the Gulf. Can you cross the ICW with a sailboat with a 65' mast? Do I have to go around the keys? Marathon? How best to do it?
Centurion63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 04:04   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Cruising, Maine to Marco

Officially, the overhead minimum clearance for the ICW is 65 feet until you get to Miami, but there is a low bridge over the Okeechobee Waterway across Florida so you can't go that way. However, there are several fixed bridges over the main ICW where you may not always have the full 65 feet of clearance due to wind-driven tides and high water. The ICW would be tough if you are actually right at 65 feet. The first thing to do is to measure your exact height off the water so you can be certain if the tide gauge on a bridge reads say 65.5 feet. I've found the gauges to generally be accurate, but they are sometimes missing or hard to read due to fouling. If you are close to 65 feet my recommendation would be to make coastal hops down the coast, and you will have to go around to the west coast via the Keys. There are only two possible bridges there with 65 feet: Channel Five and the Moser Channel, but be sure your draft isn't too much for those routes. Keep in mind that once you get to the west coast of Florida that area has a max clearance of 55 feet at several fixed bridges.
Old 31-08-2023, 05:38   #3

As Kettlewell pointed out the ICW is a challenge for sailboats. My mast is only 55' so I can make most of the bridges but with a 6'6" draft I have bumped in the middle of the channel several times so I avoid it when possible. There is one other way through the keys not mentioned. There is a draw bridge at Snake Creek but water depth on the gulf side is questionable at best.
CSYChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 05:47   #4

You probably already know this, but the fixed bridge between Marco and East Marco Bay is only 55 feet, like most of the bridges on the west coast. The west coast is a pain if you can't clear those 55-foot bridges.
Old 31-08-2023, 10:30   #5

Thx Kettlewell & CSYChip, my mast is (according to the previous owner) is 62' 5"........ but the vhf attenae probably adds another 18" so right about 64' ....... definately close.
Centurion63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 11:06   #6

I would recommend carefully making your own measurements to be certain. There are several 65-foot bridges that often have less clearance.
Old 31-08-2023, 14:24   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSYChip View Post
As Kettlewell pointed out the ICW is a challenge for sailboats. My mast is only 55' so I can make most of the bridges but with a 6'6" draft I have bumped in the middle of the channel several times so I avoid it when possible. There is one other way through the keys not mentioned. There is a draw bridge at Snake Creek but water depth on the gulf side is questionable at best.
I've looked at that bridge and passage a couple of times and thought the water on the Atlantic side was dodgy for my 5' draft.

Perhaps with local knowledge its passable for me. I just was thinking of going inside and anchoring for a night.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, cruising, maine