Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-09-2018, 12:20   #1

Check your insurance policies...you may not be fully covered!

Quick story. I just got off the phone with my State farm agent about the insurance on my boat.

My boat was washed up onto the finger pier alonside my slip during the hurricane. The dockmaster told me that they had to "cut away part of the pier" in order to get my boat back into the water. They are sending me a bill to cover the repair to the dock.

My insurance agent told me that "unfortunatly we cannot cover this due to the fact that I was renting the slip". To be honest, I think this is some ******** but I don't know what I can do at this point since this exclusion is buried deep within the policy.

Interesting however is this is a direct quote from State Farm's own website about boat liability coverage:

"Liability coverage. This coverage applies if your boat causes injury to others or damage to other boats, docks, or structures. Keep in mind that the injury or damage can be due to direct contact with your vessel or situations caused by your vessel, such as large wakes. Good liability coverage may provide protection against lawsuits, including the payment of settlements and legal fees."

Anyway, check your policies. Don't learn the hard way that you are not covered if you damage your slip.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance