Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 18:58   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Charity Work while Cruising?

So there are lots of ways to keep cruising interesting, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is doing charity work along the way.

Friends of ours have spent time each winter in a village near La Cieba, Honduras with a group that has now established an elementary school, built homes, helped with constructing tables and repairing houses and are really making a difference for the people they are helping. They tell about how utterly rewarding they find it to give their time to people who are most in need, and how much appreciation they receive in return.

I'm sure there are groups like this in many locations and it would be very rewarding to plug in and help in some way for a week or a few weeks here and there as a way of giving back.

Any other cruisers who have done this in your travels?
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 19:59   #2

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)
Re: Charity Work while Cruising?

Two years ago, I and some friends were down in Rio Dulce and did some work at an orphanage there building some plancha stoves. We were there about 3 months. Great experience.

Last year I worked with a Med team from Houston doing work down Boca Del Rio Mexico. Then did some volunteer work on that big island just south of Key West. Mainly drilling wells and installing irrigation systems on the west side of the island. There is more to this, but I better not say here.

This year I will jump to the other side and island hop the pacific for a spell.
Old 05-02-2015, 20:42   #3

About 8 years ago I played Santa Claus at the big Orphanage on the Rio dulce. probably the same one that the above writer spoke of. there is always lots of room in that area for charity work and lots of cruisers become involved. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 20:59   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Don't take work off local tradesmen by doing work that they are capable of. Work WITH the tradesmen to enhance their skills and teach others how to do the work. By partaking in manual labour you are effectively removing food from the mouths of some families. Also, be wary as many/most countries do not take kindly to people doing charity work without being registered and having a visa for such work. Follow protocol by going through regional governor if they have one or local chiefs before doing anything.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:19   #5

Almost any school anywhere, especially elementary schools, welcome volunteers in the classroom. With the teacher's permission, sit in a corner and welcome kids to come read to you, one at a time. Their eyes gazing up at you looking for approval are precious beyond measure. In one classroom, the the kids had to "draw straws," like a simple lottery, to determine who got to sit by me next. After several visits, I discovered that some of the kids were cheating on the lottery to get to me quicker. Where else in life are we in such loving demand? Volunteer teachers of English are especially welcome. In most cases, you do not need credentials as a volunteer teacher. Just speak to the teacher or the headmaster. Occasionally you run into bureaucratic obstacles. One headmaster, a severe-looking nun, demanded that I go to the Central School District Office to register before being allowed into a classroom. But in another section of the same school complex, a nearby building, volunteers were welcomed with open arms. And did they need volunteers! The typical teacher has 40 to 60 kids in class. Volunteering in an orphanage is another option. There is nothing so rewarding as being mobbed by, and hugged by, little kids. In one orphanage, I brought a bunch of inexpensive digital watches and gave one to each kid. The watches only cost a dollar or two each. For all the joyful delight, you would think it was Christmas! So, just volunteer. It helps if you can speak the local language. But love and affection are universally understood.
suenodelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have found it very difficult to do charity work cruising.
I know Pete NoTies does and in a unique way.
In Grenada was a reading thing for kids but its overtaken with religious content so a waste of time.
We tried here in St Martin for two projects in the last 6 months... Neither worked!

So its not easy to 'give a bit of time'.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 16:48   #7

Congratulations to all you guys who do try to do some charity work while you are out enjoying the earth (and the sea). I recently purchased a 50' ketch and hope I will be able to do something like that around the pacific islands as well.

Well done you guys
OldLessSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:28   #8

Boat: Endeavour 33

This is a worthwhile subject and one I hope to contribute to soon. I haven't bought a cruiser boat yet, but I can assure you, when I do, I intend to participate in volunteer mission work. When I was younger, 1992, I went on a 3 week mission trip to the Dominican Republic. The organization we are affiliated with builds churches, schools, drills water wells, and provides medical assistance to the local communities. Very worthwhile. Even though I haven't been involved in their physical locations recently, I still donate my tithe to them on a regular basis. You may explore their website: www.maranatha.org They are affiliated with the Seventh-Day Adventist church, however, they will accept anyone that is willing to be a part of their mission. They currently have ongoing projects in the Dominican Republic, Panama, Cuba, and Cost Rica. Please, explore their website and get involved. Copy and paste:
https://maranatha.org/impact/regions.../#.VNYeWMZZvFs
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising