Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2021, 19:36   #1

CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing) can it cross an ocean?

Can the CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing 1/2 size of boat sort of cockpit) designed by Carl Alberg cross the Atlantic Ocean safely?

https://www.sailrite.com/Cape-Dory-T...nder-Sail-Data

Is it too much risk to have 40-50% of your boat as cockpit if you are going to circumnavigate or cross the Pacific slowly from BC to Hawaii to Cook Islands, southern Vanuatu out of the Cyclone Zone, then NZ and AUS over 2-3 years.

TANZER 7.5 has crossed the Atlantic with a 2'6" shoal keel, a great freshwater boat for beginners, trailerable, maybe is as cool as a Canadian Grampian? Would be a vulnerable rudder I suppose? Maybe a weak mast that is collapsable.

https://www.sailrite.com/Tanzer-75-Sail-Data

The world record is 21.5 ft for smallest boat to circumnavigate the Earth.
Is a larger cockpit an issue to worry about?

It would be tempting after learning and then getting across the Pacific to decide to either circle back up to Japan and then Alaska and home, or to go for the world record for someone in this type of scenario.

Cook Islands and French Polynesia in a TANZER 7.5 or a bigger cockpit for fishing the reefs for Blue Trevali, wow, so that is most special outcome.

I wonder about making a BC to Hawaii trip and then fast across the doldrums sort of fairweather boat if it has a larger cockpit for fishing as well.

I guess I need insight from experts.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

HALMAN 20 for these purposes is another one.
But has a 2.20 capsize rating. Seems bad compared to Alberg's smaller micropocket full-keel that could be bluewater capable I think.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nordic-halman-20

Maybe the HALMAN is the most comfortable interior overall and the world record would be tempting after getting across the Pacific. These are mainly on the eastcoast though. Bluewater boats are much less common on the westcoast of North America in my analysis.
DK2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 04:13   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing) can it cross an ocean?

Hey DK,

So after all your posts, I think you know what most people on here are going to say....it depends !

I'd say you definately have the dream of sailing and crossing oceans. Me too !

So many different boats have done so. And the consensus usually comes down to the same thing. Its not so much the boat, as it the Captain and/or crew.

To me, the very best thing you can is go with a proven design, i.e., a model that has been known to make passages. Get one for yourself, and start sailing. Your own ability will take you as far as you can go.

I have owned a Flicka 20 and Cape Dory 28, both are proven "bluewater" boats that have crossed oceans. I sailed both in the Atlantic, but have not yet crossed an ocean. It is my dream and goal to do so before I leave this realm. I don't feel too old yet to try, and so I will keep working towards that end.

This forum is a great way to continue to gain knowledge that will help.

Just don't give up.
Old 17-07-2021, 05:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Not "can" but "why?"

About the only reason to do it would be to answer your question. If you want to cross oceans, why not do it in comfort without the concern that you are going to get into a situation that neither the boat nor your skill can overcome? If your goal is setting a record, OK, but identify that as your motivation before you try it.
Old 17-07-2021, 05:57   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I knew a lot of the people who built at Cape Dory. Nice, strong and well designed boats. Nice coastal day sailors. Why you would want to go offshore in one is beyond my comprehension but if that is what you want to do...fine. Just please do everyone a favor. Don’t ever ask to be rescued.
Don’t ask other professional mariners or rescue based organizations to help.
Leave your EPIRB, your VHF, your flares etc. at home.
It’s not yachtsman like to ask others to put their life on the line to save you.
Merchant Mariners are required by law in most cases to do just that...as Captain, I’ve only asked for volunteers and would not accept a man with children.
I have the UTMOST respect for rescue swimmers, helicopter pilots and life boat crews. I feel strongly that it is the obligation of every captain on any vessel to sail on any voyage with a properly prepared vessel suitable for conditions found ordinary upon the route chosen. To do otherwise, with an unsuitable vessel, or an inexperienced captain... is to undertake a Manifestly Unsafe Voyage. For a US flagged vessel, it is simply against the law. Period.
The conditions under which the USCG can stop such a voyage are clearly spelled out and the legislative intent was to prevent needless risk to the rescuers.
I suggest you request a USCG inspection before setting sail.
Captain Mark, an active licensed US Merchant Mariner.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 08:11   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ok...but back to reality...It sounds like you might be a fairly new sailor. I'm not sure if you already have a Typhoon. If do, learn to sail it and become the best sailor you can and then you would know yourself if it is a good idea or not. I've known a few Folkboat sailors without self bailing cockpits that did Ca. to Hi. and didn't blink an eye about it.
If you're in the market for a boat, there are a lot to chose from. Maybe the question should be..."whats the best sailboat I can afford to cross the Atlantic."
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 08:23   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
CAPE DORY Typhoon 18 Weekender (self-bailing) can it cross an ocean?

I owned a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. I loved that boat. The lines were beautiful like most Carl Alberg designs. She sailed beautifully and was surprisingly fast for her short waterline. She handled higher winds and swells with such sure footedness that I routinely took her out the St. John’s River into the Atlantic and sailed south to Saint Augustine or north to Fernandina Beach or even Jekyll Island, Georgia. I always had confidence in the boat but let me emphasize that this was inshore, costal sailing. On such short hops the weather was predictable. Yes, thunderstorms were always possible and I did encounter them sometimes but these were short lived systems even when they had severe winds.

I did get some solid water into the cockpit, only once and it did not self drain quickly. As the OP noted, the cockpit is large for this size boat and the cockpit drains are small. The floor of the cockpit is very close to the waterline. Their intended purpose is to drain rain water while your boat is on a mooring. Had I taken on more water I would have needed to close the cockpit drains and bailed. On my boat the through hulls had gate valves which needed to be replaced.

The typhoon is a remarkable well designed and built boat for its intended purpose, costal, lake and bay sailing for a day or a weekend. For it purpose it is a joy to own and to sail. For voyaging on the ocean there are other boats designed and built to that purpose. I know people have crossed the Atlantic in extremely small boats. I can’t imagine why.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 08:45   #7

Just trying to understand if a larger cockpit that is self bailing is safe or not for crossing the Pacific in 3-4 weeks journeys at a time.

So, why doesn't apply cause I am seeking knowledge.

Why?
I am crossing the Pacific as a primary goal in life, and to do Peace Corps type mission work/humanitarian work in Latin America (Central America & South America).

To use a smaller boat, once I get to Australia, I have 2 options:
1) Circle the Pacific back home Japan to Alaska to BC.
2) Go onwards and circumnavigate the Earth in a 19' boat, the record is 21.5'

Would be nice to have the option to decide once across the Pacific.
Old 17-07-2021, 08:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I owned a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. I loved that boat. The lines were beautiful like most Carl Alberg designs. She sailed beautifully and was surprisingly fast for her short waterline. She handled higher winds and swells with such sure footedness that I routinely took her out the St. John’s River into the Atlantic and sailed south to Saint Augustine or north to Fernandina Beach or even Jekyll Island, Georgia. I always had confidence in the boat but let me emphasize that this was inshore, costal sailing. On such short hops the weather was predictable. Yes, thunderstorms were always possible and I did encounter them sometimes but these were short lived systems even when they had severe winds.

I did get some solid water into the cockpit, only once and it did not self drain quickly. As the OP noted, the cockpit is large for this size boat and the cockpit drains are small. The floor of the cockpit is very close to the waterline. Their intended purpose is to drain rain water while your boat is on a mooring. Had I taken on more water I would have needed to close the cockpit drains and bailed. On my boat the through hulls had gate valves which needed to be replaced.

The typhoon is a remarkable well designed and built boat for its intended purpose, costal, lake and bay sailing for a day or a weekend. For it purpose it is a joy to own and to sail. For voyaging on the ocean there are other boats designed and built to that purpose. I know people have crossed the Atlantic in extremely small boats. I can’t imagine why.
Based on your comments, it is probably not a good idea then for the larger cockpit.
Are you at all familiar with the Halman 20 / Midget 20??:

Old 17-07-2021, 10:07   #9

Boat: C-26

My first thought was, "Where would you store needed supplies?" That boat only has the capacity to carry one loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. What would you eat on day #2?
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 10:33   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

Yes. cape Dory Typhoon can cross an ocean safely.
Can you criss an ocean safely in a Cape Dory Typhoon?
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:32   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Cross an ocean? Yeah, maybe, probably, possibly. Safely? Absolutely not. Wasnt designed or built for that. Like manateeman says, leave your epirb at home. “Die like a gentleman.” Blondie Hasler. Ever heard of him?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 12:35   #12

I own a cape dory typhoon 18. Great boat but she bails as much water as she takes in through the rudder shaft. The companion way entry is around 4 inches above the sole. In rough waters it will take on water and sink. Modify the door to a water tight hatch. Add enough bouncy with inflatable fenders for the crossing maybe paint a face on one and call it Wilson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C80C0BB1-C216-4326-A96B-379C2EF61F72.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	242211  
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 13:14   #13

Protein Powder, Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice, lemon juice, cans of kidney beans, cans of black beans, Brown Rice to dilute the Uncle Ben's Rice, catch fish as I go, stand up against the supernatural tyranny I can see in the world. Face God and tell him it's unacceptable by doing this as a trained sailor with 2 years on my boat before attempting to get to Hawaii from Westcoast.

I have learned today that the larger cockpits are not very safe for open ocean far away from rescue.

What essentials I should take?
Satellite Phone, backup phone, freshwater maker and backup components or entire system as a backup unit on the boat.

Peanut Butter, Cannabis is legal in Canada that could be nice for 3 weeks to Hawaii.
Not sure what else I would want to take with me. Peace Corps lifestyle doing volunteer work and publishing materials and documenting/journaling is what I'm looking to do from whatever smaller bluewater capable boat I eventually get into next year.

HALMAN 20:

2.29 capsize rating though?
I need more input/insight.
Tough as can be the hull is special they say for the Halman 20 / Midget 20
Old 17-07-2021, 13:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango51 View Post
I own a cape dory typhoon 18. Great boat but she bails as much water as she takes in through the rudder shaft. The companion way entry is around 4 inches above the sole. In rough waters it will take on water and sink. Modify the door to a water tight hatch. Add enough bouncy with inflatable fenders for the crossing maybe paint a face on one and call it Wilson.
Oddly enough, my cousin, his name is Ronald, middle name Wilson as I recall.
Last name Reagan.

WILSON indeed.
I am an only child who has had PTSD since age 13.
Being Solo is natural and so once I get to Australia from Westcoast of North America, the option is:
1_ Circle the Pacific or,
2_ Circumnavigate and break the world record.

Circle the Pacific is what appeals mainly,
however, once in Australia, the option would be mine to make at that time and later version of my self.

AMBRYM ISLAND, VANUATU, that Polynesian island full of polynesian people in the middle of Melanesia.
The history of that place would be interesting to understand in the middle of cannibalistic historical Melanesian culture.

Bayfield 29 would be choice, but I am on a budget.
Bayfield 25 the stove is stupid placement.
Halman 20 for the layout inside!!! Very smart.
2.29 capsize rating??

I see Holly of Windhippie Sailing on Youtube circumnavigating in a GRINDE 27, iron ballast, keel bolts and a 2.10 capsize rating.

I think Halman 20 is okay to do this.
Seeking insight
Old 17-07-2021, 13:27   #15

Blondie is an artist from the 1970's Disco-Pop era.
Hasler? Sounds like a hockey player who never drops the gloves.

Tags
cape dory