Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 02:40   #1

Brexit Means EU Citizenship Not as Useful

Brexit means EU citizenship is not as useful for cruisers. Interestingly though, a lot of those islands part of the EU countries are not part of the EU.
Quote:
British Virgin Islanders are classed as British Overseas Territories citizens and since 2002 have had full British citizenship. Although the territory is not part of the European Union and not directly subject to EU laws, its citizens are deemed to be citizens of the EU as well.
EU citizenship is useful because of the EU health card, easy entry, etc. Even certain voting rights and no limit on stays. St. Barts (mostly)left the EU largely because of the voting issue. Tourists (and sailers) were voting and taking over the place. So St. Barts quit the EU, but is still part of France.

The Falklands are leaving the EU. Gibraltar might stay in the EU partially. Most of the British islands are considered "minimal" under EU law anyway.

Here is a list of status of islands that are either not or partially not part of the EU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specia...European_Union
zamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 07:02   #2

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: Brexit Means EU Citizenship Not as Useful

am a bit confused. is this the British perspective or is there info here regarding EU (in my case, french-eu) citizens?

yes, i read (trudged through) the page on wiki...

could you clarify?
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 07:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Brexit Means EU Citizenship Not as Useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
am a bit confused. is this the British perspective or is there info here regarding EU (in my case, french-eu) citizens?

yes, i read (trudged through) the page on wiki...

could you clarify?
Purely UK citizens.. you will continue as before.. unless Trump pisses off Napoleon..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 07:42   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

For whom is EU citizenship not at useful for?

For me it's very useful sailing around the Med, and to all the French territories around the globe even those that aren't part of the EU.

Oddly, British citizenship (I should say Nationality rather than citizenship as the latter isn't well covered under UK law) doesn't really help much even in British Overseas Territories, and Crown Dependencies. Try moving to Jersey or Guernsey just because you fancy it, or BVI etc.. Yo can't without jumping through hoops. Unlike the French (DOMs) that can move around and live freely in most their territories (excluding TOMs). For me one nation has got it right, the other wrong.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:09   #5
DIJ

Boat: Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
For whom is EU citizenship not at useful for?

For me it's very useful sailing around the Med, and to all the French territories around the globe even those that aren't part of the EU.

Oddly, British citizenship (I should say Nationality rather than citizenship as the latter isn't well covered under UK law) doesn't really help much even in British Overseas Territories, and Crown Dependencies. Try moving to Jersey or Guernsey just because you fancy it, or BVI etc.. Yo can't without jumping through hoops. Unlike the French (DOMs) that can move around and live freely in most their territories (excluding TOMs). For me one nation has got it right, the other wrong.
Right/wrong from whose perspective?
DIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:28   #6

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

What a crap post!

As former French citizen and now Danish I find EU very useful.

Yours sincerely Pierre 🇫🇷 🇩🇰 🇫🇷 😁
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:31   #7

Eu all over Europe, UK only Great Britain.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:36   #8

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

What is this post all about? Someone trying to feel better about the Brexit?
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:38   #9

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIJ View Post
Right/wrong from whose perspective?
Mine of course

It's a balance. The French DOMs get EU funding (doesn't get the bridge in St Martin fixed though - on that they are truely incompetent), and will have help now during COVID. The people get to live and work in France and the French mainland citizens get to live and work in the DOMs.

Interestingly the Islands in the Dutch Kingdom that voted to for more distant relationship from the Netherlands are now looking for COVID relief from the Netherlands, yet are hesitant to conduct the reforms necessary to access the money e.g. raise pension age.

Anyway, getting off topic. Like others in the thread, I have no idea what the OP was trying to say
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:44   #10

Boat: X442

As an EU citizen I find my EU citizenship equally useful pre and post Brexit.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:46   #11

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Seems a bit odd bashing the UK for leaving a group. we the UK have many health care unions with many countries out with the EU and during the negotiations I suspect this will not change much, nor will freedom of movement that will affect us to much.
Scare mongering and paranoid thinking is for fools I prefer to wait to see the outcome before speculation takes over the asylum.
Also the BOST's were left by the UK government as they were seen as a tax drag and were told to find ways of making there way in the big bad world by themselves, seems Gibraltar, BVI , etc are doing not so bad helping rich people avoid taxes ,and people living there get a good life.
Lets compare that with the billions of EU money yes that's right EU money that was generated by EU citizens taxes paying for a island motorway in Reunion island in the Indian Ocean because it is part of France.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 09:56   #12

Further to what "tarian" says, any problem in getting visas if and when required?
Rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 12:12   #13

Being a Montañan Yank, I have no skin in the EU / Brexit matter. Our original gang of former British colonies having been the first to have Brexited upon the declaration of the formation of the USA, back 244 years ago.

Seems to me that EU Citizenship rights, benefits and responsibilities have not changed, if one remains an EU Citizen; but if one is a UKer, well then one has cut ties to the much larger Union, and simply holds to those of the smaller United Kingdom. Albeit with seemingly contentious, ongoing,"negotiations" as to post Brexit relationships.

This thread topic depends largely on which side of the water one's perspective is derived.

Unions are never perfect and can be complicated. Heck, the very reason the 13 Brexited states decided to adopt our Constitution, and thereby replace the original agreed to Confederation of States, was stated as: "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, . . . ". It was recognized that our young Brexited Confederation of States, needed a more formal and integrated Union, which Union from the start was not perfect, and to this day still isn't perfect. It has often been deemed necessary to alter the rules our union, which scope of the union has grown massively since its founding. Our Union may yet continue to grow, e.g., there being the opportunity for Puerto Rico to advance toward statehood from it present territorial status. The Star of Puerto Rico may be added to our Star Spangled Banner altering the Union / Canton to become inclusive of 51 stars from its present 50.

And there was that recent consideration of adding Greenland, . . .

Thirty-three amendments to the United States Constitution have been proposed by the United States Congress and sent to the states for ratification since the Constitution was put into operation on March 4, 1789. Twenty-seven of these, having been ratified by the requisite number of states (requiring 38 states approval since 1959), are part of the Constitution.

The first ten amendments were adopted and ratified simultaneously with the Constitution and which first ten amendments are known collectively as the Bill of Rights. Six amendments adopted by Congress and sent to the states have not been ratified by the required number of states. Four of these amendments are still pending, one is closed and has failed by its own terms, and one is closed and has failed by the terms of the resolution proposing it.

Not wishing to bring Poly-Ticks [many, blood sucking parasites] into the discussions on the Cruisers Forum, but we have noted the occasional, fashionable Red Hats being worn in the UK.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	queen MAGBA.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	222277  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 12:21   #14

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Very funny but Her Maj? Wearing that hat? I don't think so, mate.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 12:25   #15

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I was about to say (regarding that hat) "don't drag us into your troubles", but then I remembered that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. (We have in the past very successfully dragged you lot into our troubles. Just so you know, there are people over here who do not forget & who do remember & continue to thank you for that.)
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote