Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 16:06   #31

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Anchor mooring line twisted up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony 33 View Post
Thank you. Diver saved the day! He cut us free. Anchor could not be pulled up.
I am glad to hear the good news and sorry about the loss of the anchor. Fair winds!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Sounds like you came along just in time to prevent yet another boat from becoming a derelict. Good on you. And good luck. Good thing you are in love with the boat, because now you are married to it and it will cost as much as a wife.

I have always liked the Morgan OI series and when we bought the Roberts, we were actually sort of looking for a OI 41. Problem is finding one that is not badly or even terminally neglected. I don't know why so many of that particular lineup get for all practical purposes, abandoned. I think they are great boats, especially for near coastal cruising and island hopping. One that we looked at, the owner lived aboard and had lived aboard for about 5 years and literally never pumped out the sewage. The head was not merely unusable. It was unapproachable and the stench filled the boat. The owner said it would be a simple thing to hire someone to clean it up and put it to rights, but if it was so simple, why didn't he do it? He was crapping in a bucket and dumping it over the side. Another one the owner said the engine was fine but wouldn't start it for me without his mechanic present. I broke a companionway step going down and he tried to make me pay for it LOL! Another had some major hull and deck damage repaired with automotive body filler and landscape cloth, "redneck fiberglass" LOL! So I can easily picture in my mind what you found, and hats off to you for rescuing her. I think you will like the boat when you get her put to rights. Don't forget to replace those pretty stainless steel shrouds and stays. If they are original, they are well past their expected lifespan, and corrosion of stainless occurs where air can't get to them and where you can't see it, inside the end fittings. Sucks when they let go in a blow.

What engine?
Old 28-02-2022, 18:30   #33

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

One of the items I was told to check (in 2010 when I bought mine) was to remove & check the chain plates for cracks. The chain plate mounting holes are punched square for carriage bolts which encourages cracks to start from the sharp corners. All but the backstay had cracks.
Remove (be sure to label them as each has its own angle towards the mast), spray with WD40 & let each one sit for a minute then wipe off excess spray. Dust liberally with talcum powder & watch for the cracks to appear. Welding is not recommended as it can induce other cracks.
I installed new ones with round punched holes & bedded with a lot of 3M 4200.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:32   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 31

That's great rigging advice from Disailor. I'm pasting that one into my maintenance file.

Thanks so much.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring