Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 15:46   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Twisted and kinked Anchor Chain

I have a Lewmar V4 Windlass with 200ft of 1/2in chain. At about 125ft it is kinked so tight that it won't pass through the windlass. I have a swivel and have repeatedly removed all of the chain from the locker to straighten it out. (No easy task.) Continues to kink up. Anyone having this problem? Solutions?

Thanks.
Whaler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 17:11   #2

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Twisted and kinked Anchor Chain

Hey Whaler I have the same problem would love to hear a way of solving this issue Cheers
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 19:10   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Same problem. No solution, except anchoring where there is no current, or where the wind only blows from one direction.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 20:30   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Same problem. No solution, except anchoring where there is no current, or where the wind only blows from one direction.

Ralph
If the kinks are in the locker (what it sounds like), then this comment is completely off the point; the twisting cannot past through the V4 gypsy.

Obvious, no?

It has something to do with how the chain is falling into the locker, and may be specific to the particular chain.
Old 19-06-2015, 23:29   #5

Boat: Oyster 435

We had the same issue with our maxwell windless. It all started when we broke our pressure foot that kept the chain from twisting in the gypsy. Replaced that and haven't had an issue since.
Watch the chain as it goes around the gypsy. I put marker on one side so I could see if it was twisting. Once you figure out where its twisting you then just have to figure out why...
Good luck.
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 03:03   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We actually removed the swivel from our anchor chain, So how we get the twists out is to flake the chain out on a dock. Then start retrieving it, keeping it straight. PITA. As we come to the anchor end the hockles build up, then we have to go slow, eventually let the anchor unwind, and all is well.

Swivels can be sources of problems.

Ann.
Old 20-06-2015, 04:31   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Check your bow roller - it should have a deep groove right in the middle of the Vee. That groove helps to bring the chain on board in a non-twisting manner. If you don't have this, or it is worn down, replacing your roller may help.

Do you see your chain twisting around between the roller and windlass when it is coming aboard?

Is your chain old? Rusty chain will also develop kinks that accumulate and do not unravel well because the chain links have too much friction between them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 04:41   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I still can't imagine a twist passing through the Lewmar vertical windlass (I have one of these). I don't think it is possible, and you would hear the crunch. I've not used a swivel in 5 years and I have not un-twisted the chain; the twists all shake out as the anchor is lifted free of the bottom. But it would be simple to watch it while retrieving to see if I am wrong.

I think it is far more likely that the anchor is spiraling as it falls into the well and that the links are not allowing these twists to work back out. The solutions may be...
+ a little slope in the well floor
+ a new chain
+ kicking the pile over when retrieving
Old 20-06-2015, 04:51   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I have no idea if this would work but ----
years ago I had an anchor locker that tended to jumble up the chain more than I liked. I was going to install a cone directly under the deck feed for the chain, the idea being that the chain would coil around the cone and stay a bit neater. Sold the boat before I did it.
Anybody ever tried anything similar?
Old 20-06-2015, 06:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I have no idea if this would work but ----
years ago I had an anchor locker that tended to jumble up the chain more than I liked. I was going to install a cone directly under the deck feed for the chain, the idea being that the chain would coil around the cone and stay a bit neater. Sold the boat before I did it.
Anybody ever tried anything similar?
Cones are often used in lockers to stop the chain from castling
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:12   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I think it is far more likely that the anchor is spiraling as it falls into the well and that the links are not allowing these twists to work back out. The solutions may be...
+ a little slope in the well floor
+ a new chain
+ kicking the pile over when retrieving
Spiraling - that is the word I was trying to describe in my post above. Watch for the chain spiraling between the roller and windlass. The deep middle roller groove is meant to help alleviate this.

Once it has spiraled into the well, it is very difficult for it to unspiral in the fall because the chain needs to unspiral to the end or kinks will occur somewhere.

For us, the swivel on the anchor end comes into play as the roller groove forces any spiraling down toward the anchor rather than up into the locker. Even with the swivel, we sometimes have the anchor come up and do some fast twisting when off the bottom.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:30   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when anchored, raise anchor, straighten chain, re anchor. on th edock, let chain onto dock and re stow it, making sure you remob=ve the twisting.
PR
you can run into really deep water, let it allll go and re raise making sure the chain straightens out. thius method is difficult, and i have yet to try it, as i flake mine on dock when necessary to straighten, as do the cates.
no i use NO swivels.
whichever way you use to straighten the chain, you will need to physically WATCH your chain, not raise from remote place on boat as it comes out of the water.
of late i have been HAND RAISING my chain and straightening it as i do. hay, iffn a lil ol lady can do it, so can you
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:39   #13

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Some good points above: We had similar issues, not least because the chain's old/tired/rusty (see colemj's post) and having read the posts about a 'cone in the locker' makes me realise that our problem has reduced significantly since we bought a new anchor: I now suspect that this is perhaps not due to changing the anchor on the end of the chain(20kg rather than a 15kg Bruce) but because the original, now 'spare' anchor is sat in the bottom of the anchor locker, so the chain drapes over/around that when it drops into the locker, rather than just piling-up in a cone-shaped heap?
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 07:07   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our chain gets twisted at times. Luckily, with a manual windlass it's not really a big issue. But we do use some of the techniques to untwist every couple of seasons (usually when I re-mark the chain).

I actually tried a swivel for a few seasons, but found that it made virtually no difference; our chain still got twisted over time. Since then I took the swivel off. We still get twisted over time . Just another thing to manage
Old 20-06-2015, 08:18   #15

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler52 View Post
I have a Lewmar V4 Windlass with 200ft of 1/2in chain. At about 125ft it is kinked so tight that it won't pass through the windlass. I have a swivel and have repeatedly removed all of the chain from the locker to straighten it out. (No easy task.) Continues to kink up. Anyone having this problem? Solutions?

Thanks.
Your chain is very likely incorrectly sized for the windlass gypsy. This is causing it to skip and twist as it is hauled aboard (or paid out) This is a DANGEROUS situation as it can ball up underwater. I once had to dive under a cat to rescue the boat as it was dragging on super short chain with a MASSIVE ball of chain around the size and shape of a big bottlenose dolphin hanging just below the bridgedeck. It was a dangerous and nervous job in very murky waters where 3 people had been killed by saltwater crocs in the previous 2 years. Balurin, Indonesia. The cause? An incorrectly sized windlass gypsy.

In retrospect it was a job I should not have done. My life for an anchor chain? I wouldn't do it again. But in the circumstances the folk, who were friends of mine, needed assistance urgently and it was rendered.

Anyhow, that is my remote diagnosis. That or a severely worn or damaged gypsy.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor