Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 10:14   #1
rbc

A Cap for Yachting

Over the last several months I've been putting together a yachting cap for myself. I thought I'd share my experience in case others find it interesting.

I'm not part of a yacht club and decided early on that I didn't want to use the yacht club style cap device, though I think to some degree this may be common.

That left me with finding an appropriate cap device for yachting, without the guidance of a yacht club to follow. The best guidance I found came from a 1966 edition of Chapman's on page 373:

"While yacht clubs obviously have no need to prescribe the form of cap device which might be worn by a boat owner who is not a club member, those whose business it is to supply correct uniforms provide for an ornament consisting of the two gold fouled anchors, naturally without the club insignia."

Insight about use of gold was provided on the next page:

"Note particularly that in all of the uniform regulations there is no mention of gold braid for the yachtsman, member, owner or club officer. The only gold permissible is the gold fouled anchors of the cap device, the special cap insignia of the secretary, treasurer, etc., and the stars on cap and sleeve."

With this information, I set out put a cap together. Finding a yachting cap came easily. The Captains' Quarters Uniforms company sells a very nice cap called the "Yacht Club Officer Hat". It's softer and lower profile than other peaked caps, better for informal occasions. Next came the cap device. This took a bit longer and required a custom order. Eventually I found that Eiseman-Ludmar would take this on. As an added bit of flourish I added an Osprey pin to the side of the cap. My sailings usual involve fishing, so I thought that was appropriate in my case.

So attached are pictures of the end result. I'm not quite sure I'm done with it. There may be some more revisions. I'm curious what others think. Standing by for cheers, jeers and other remarks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap_left.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	238791   Click image for larger version

Name:	cap_right.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	238792  

rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 10:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: A Cap for Yachting

Hey, you like your hat. Kudos.

However I doubt that many forum members are into the “yachting” wear. I for one go out of my way to find clothes that I can sweat profusely in and a hat with a wide brim to keep the sun off.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 11:30   #3

Wanna do some good in the world?

Invent a light, breathable hat for sailing with a wide brim that doesn’t flip up in breeze.

The Shelta is the closest commercially made thing I’ve seen. I prefer straw as cloth doesn’t breathe. I had a coconut frond/leaf hat with a cowboy-hat-style brim that was the best hat I’ve owned, but after almost 10 years, it’s about dead. I’ve tried to make my own but I have not the gift
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 11:34   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

My "yachting" caps.

No assembly required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Miller_Lite_Quality_White_Black_Hat1_LG.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	238796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caps-Miller-Beer-MILLER-Lite-Mesh-Trucker-Hat-l.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	238797  

Name:	41WRLsKDQxL._AC_.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	238798  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 12:33   #5
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Hey, you like your hat. Kudos.

However I doubt that many forum members are into the “yachting” wear. I for one go out of my way to find clothes that I can sweat profusely in and a hat with a wide brim to keep the sun off.
Thanks for the kudos. It's not for all circumstances, but that cap is a lot more sturdy than some I've seen in the marketplace. I may opt for the darker cover though. I think the white cover will attract a lot of stains in the real world.
Old 20-05-2021, 12:54   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'd call that a "tosser cap" rather than a "yachting cap"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 13:55   #7

Boat: 46 ft cutter

I think a hat that says “Lion Tamer” in bold letters across the front should do. But you have to develop the ability to walk silly while wearing it.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 14:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbc View Post
Over the last several months I've been putting together a yachting cap for myself. I thought I'd share my experience in case others find it interesting.
RBC,
Taking your first sentences at face value, and hoping that you are not setting us up for a marketing campaign or scam, I am wondering what you are planning to do with your cap once you are satisfied with it. When and where will you be wearing it? Or is it décor for your reading room? Honestly, I am curious.

Yours is an unusual first post for a new forum member. I mean, you haven't asked which boat you should buy.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 14:52   #9
rbc

No marketing intended. I don't sell apparel for a living. I'll be wearing it underway when the circumstances favor it (nice weather, not too windy). They are nice sturdy hats. It won't be worn off the boat. The rest of the time it will probably sit on the shelf as a talisman for what I'd rather be doing.
Old 20-05-2021, 15:01   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
No marketing intended. I don't sell apparel for a living. I'll be wearing it underway when the circumstances favor it (nice weather, not too windy). They are nice sturdy hats. It won't be worn off the boat. The rest of the time it will probably sit on the shelf as a talisman for what I'd rather be doing.
Sounds good. I actually have a cap very similar, but it sits in a box in the attic with my US Navy plaques. My current underway caps are very similar to the ones Thomm225 posted.

I recommend adding your location and boat type to your profile. That can help tailor responses. Best wishes on your cap project!
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 15:07   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Where has all the kindness gone. It was indeed once called yachting and de rigeur were dress codes. There is however one drawback. Suitable yachting dress marks you as a wealthy yacht owner...easy target in an ever more hostile world.
It’s not for everyone. Short story warning. Bail out now.
A fellow captain took a position on a mega yacht which required yacht whites. He emerged from the engine room covered in diesel, sweat and black grease. He had left his uniform in his cabin. Mademoiselle jiggled her glass while ensconced on the aft deck which was her signal for more ice. He brought over a bucket. Then she actually spoke and said “Is the laundry late too?”.
As children might read the forum, I shall leave the actions of this captain and his reply unstated.
It is nice however, to see someone making an effort to dress for yachting.
The manatee crew follows the French style. Born naked, sail naked. But with a nice simple blue wool Beret.
Happy trails to you.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 19:21   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

How about a bicorne — it’s a great hat for trailing fishing lines from your boat, and it might also work in windy days!

Name:	IMG_1621563399.297426.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	238828
Old 20-05-2021, 19:31   #13
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
How about a bicorne — it’s a great hat for trailing fishing lines from your boat, and it might also work in windy days!
That sample looks like it might have a lot of windage. Hard on the neck muscles?
Old 20-05-2021, 20:02   #14

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

IMG]https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/186524-albums5966-picture33678.jpeg[/IMG]

One of the advantages of this hat is that it holds a 1/4 wave VHF antenna inside it.

Hmm - I still can’t figure out how to post a photo. At least I’m getting warm.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 20:10   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
That sample looks like it might have a lot of windage. Hard on the neck muscles?

Then go for a tricorne instead.
That's a real sailor's hat.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht