Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2021, 09:31   #31

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: A Cap for Yachting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
I think a hat that says “Lion Tamer” in bold letters across the front should do. But you have to develop the ability to walk silly while wearing it.
Perhaps you could start off a little bit more slowly, say, with a hat that says financial planner, rather than jumping right into lion taming!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:37   #32

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Where has all the kindness gone. It was indeed once called yachting and de rigeur were dress codes.

It is nice however, to see someone making an effort to dress for yachting.
Well said, and there are still clubs and individuals who bring a little class to what was once a more exclusive hobby. There are several yacht clubs here in the NYC area that still have occasional events that require a more respectful attire. I know of a few individuals who, upon entering a port while cruising or returning to their home port, put on their blue blazer and a similar yachting cap.

I think the cap looks good and I myself would get one. It certainly looks a lot better than some of the junk I have seen on the market. While I wouldn't wear it a lot, I would indeed have some wear it occasionally and have some fun with it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:40   #33

Boat: Leopard 45

Whatever you use (I prefer a full brim), it needs to have either a chin strap or a clip to a line on the back or you will loose it with the first 20 knot puff. Then you can start looking for your next hat
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:40   #34
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
You still haven’t enlightened us as to the type of maritime conveyance you use to transport yourself (and possibly select others) from place to place.
After all, this is CruisersForum, not HaberdasheryToday.
I'm between boats. I've had small boats. An Islander 17 and Crestliner 15 in the past. If I had my druthers, I think the Nordic Tug 26 would be about perfect. I'm trying to figure out how to afford that. The hat's kind of a talisman for that project.
rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:49   #35

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Hi everyone,
Sometimes wearing the same thing makes the experience that much more special. My eldest brother (retired Air Force colonel) and I completed a 7 days trip last December. He is not much of a sailor and prefers a motor boat. Being a great bother he volunteered for the trip. On our third day I presented him with his Greek wool "Captain" cap. I hope you enjoy this photo as much as I do. (I could not figure out how to rotate clockwise - sorry).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike and Hank 12 19 with caps.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	238868  
LouAnn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 10:18   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I’m really thinking that the OP can s pulling our leg
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 10:18   #37
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Well said, and there are still clubs and individuals who bring a little class to what was once a more exclusive hobby. There are several yacht clubs here in the NYC area that still have occasional events that require a more respectful attire. I know of a few individuals who, upon entering a port while cruising or returning to their home port, put on their blue blazer and a similar yachting cap.

I think the cap looks good and I myself would get one. It certainly looks a lot better than some of the junk I have seen on the market. While I wouldn't wear it a lot, I would indeed have some wear it occasionally and have some fun with it.
I think a lot of what used to be in Chapman's regarding dress was driven by the NYYC. I suppose other yacht clubs looked to the NYYC when they wrote up their guidelines for attire. In that sense the yacht clubs helped define some of the apparel traditions that are out there in boating.
rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 11:23   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
My "yachting" caps.

No assembly required.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 11:38   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Cap for Yachting

My preferred choice...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aussie hat.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	238878  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 12:40   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We live aboard in the Caribbean. A Tilly or extra wide straw hat are ubiquitous. Must keep the sun off including ears and neck. Hats must have an adjustable draw string to avoid loosing it on the dinghy.

That said, these have great utility if trying for a first impression. Notice the hat you propose is similar to one of these modeled below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5075A294-A56F-437B-80A0-0C0C2784870B.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	238884   Click image for larger version

Name:	A637C8CA-DB25-4364-875C-6C57BD726115.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	238885  

Name:	D849B12A-5A8D-4C73-9CFF-090669242CD8.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	238886  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 12:57   #41

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I’m really thinking that the OP can s pulling our leg
+1. At least, I hope so. Its just too sad, otherwise.... But you can't have too many hats (or is it just me?). Over the years, in my continuing search for the perfect hat I have acquired several (OK, lots) of different types.

Most worn are all those baseball caps I have been given by various people - but it can't be the usual stiff upright front thingies - no class at all. Has to be the soft front ones, more tailored to the head, such as worn by Sir Francis Chichester on his first (well, first after Spray) solo circumnavigation over half a century ago. The thing about those hats is I have lots of them - although less than before - but I have got much better at keeping them on my head now & anyway, its useful to do a MOB drill when you least expect it.

Years ago a kind nephew bought me a baseball cap with "Captain" emblazoned across the front, but I haven't dared to wear that anywhere yet, least of all on the boat!

When its hot & really sunny - has been known to happen here - I wear a wide brim canvas hat bought in Honfleur, complete with chinstrap in place - I dont want to lose that one.

In spring & autumn a woolly hat worn over the baseball cap does the trick - with hood when necessary. But in winter I rely on my Russian style trapper hat, over the baseball cap, under the hood when needed, & complete with facemask when the rain is horizontal & hard. Its like being indoors, outdoors. Happy days!

I do have others just in case - balaclavas, waterproof seal hats with peaks, Canadian trapper hats, etc. But I reckon the perfect hat hasn't been invented yet - so a combination is best.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:10   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My preferred choice...
Practical it just doesn't have the yacht club appeal.
Probably less skin cancer over the years.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:25   #43

Bravo. You are bolder than many. Now to find the right sunglasses to go with your jaunty chapeau
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:28   #44

Look up Cavender's straw hats. Lots of models. Fit correctly, it'll stand up to plenty of wind, keep your head cool and shaded. And the white hats will scare off those outlaws. (I've no commercial interest, but just looking out for the cancer protection for the community
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:38   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Cap for Yachting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Practical it just doesn't have the yacht club appeal.
Probably less skin cancer over the years.
Maybe because Yacht Clubs have never appealed.. this place is the closest I've gotten to a 'Club'.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht