Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 20:14   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: A Cap for Yachting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
IMG]https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/186524-albums5966-picture33678.jpeg[/IMG]

One of the advantages of this hat is that it holds a 1/4 wave VHF antenna inside it.

Hmm - I still can’t figure out how to post a photo. At least I’m getting warm.

You mean like this? (you're missing the opening "[" in your tag.)

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 20:18   #17

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

muchos gracias Stu.

I always turn heads skiing in my wizard’s hat. I don’t need VHF coverage skiing, so that one is sans antenna.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 21:53   #18

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Does one have a matching double breasted windbreaker ?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 22:02   #19

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

this is my favourite, although have a few others for the odd time the weather is unfriendly

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghaft1_0031-1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	238834

anyone around here that wears one of those 'i'm the captain' hat get's laughed at, and baseball style thingys just don't keep enough sun off

cheers,
Old 20-05-2021, 22:03   #20

Boat: Catalina 320

"We've adopted a new dress uniform hat, you need to get one, they are $100" they said.
"But I don't want a new $100 hat and I'm retiring in a few years" I said.
So, I've got the fancy hat but "it just looks silly on an old guy in shorts on a boat." said the wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hat.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	238832  
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 23:57   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This is a nice Yachting cap, don't ya think?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 00:31   #22

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbc View Post
Over the last several months I've been putting together a yachting cap for myself. I thought I'd share my experience in case others find it interesting.

I'm not part of a yacht club and decided early on that I didn't want to use the yacht club style cap device, though I think to some degree this may be common.

That left me with finding an appropriate cap device for yachting, without the guidance of a yacht club to follow. The best guidance I found came from a 1966 edition of Chapman's on page 373:

"While yacht clubs obviously have no need to prescribe the form of cap device which might be worn by a boat owner who is not a club member, those whose business it is to supply correct uniforms provide for an ornament consisting of the two gold fouled anchors, naturally without the club insignia."

Insight about use of gold was provided on the next page:

"Note particularly that in all of the uniform regulations there is no mention of gold braid for the yachtsman, member, owner or club officer. The only gold permissible is the gold fouled anchors of the cap device, the special cap insignia of the secretary, treasurer, etc., and the stars on cap and sleeve."

With this information, I set out put a cap together. Finding a yachting cap came easily. The Captains' Quarters Uniforms company sells a very nice cap called the "Yacht Club Officer Hat". It's softer and lower profile than other peaked caps, better for informal occasions. Next came the cap device. This took a bit longer and required a custom order. Eventually I found that Eiseman-Ludmar would take this on. As an added bit of flourish I added an Osprey pin to the side of the cap. My sailings usual involve fishing, so I thought that was appropriate in my case.

So attached are pictures of the end result. I'm not quite sure I'm done with it. There may be some more revisions. I'm curious what others think. Standing by for cheers, jeers and other remarks.
off you go to sailinganarchy! They'll set you straight!
Old 21-05-2021, 04:53   #23
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
My "yachting" caps.

No assembly required.
I can't really disagree with this kind of choice. It's a lot cheaper to replace when mother nature takes them. Ball caps aren't that warm when the weather turns cold though. Greek fishing hats are a bit warmer during the winter.
rbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 04:59   #24
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
off you go to sailinganarchy! They'll set you straight!
I hadn't notice that forum. I'll check them out.
Old 21-05-2021, 05:07   #25
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Does one have a matching double breasted windbreaker ?
No, just the hat.
Old 21-05-2021, 06:07   #26
rbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
anyone around here that wears one of those 'i'm the captain' hat get's laughed at, and baseball style thingys just don't keep enough sun off

cheers,
Actually, I think this is what everyone has forgotten, at least of past US yachting tradition. The crossed fouled anchors are not the cap device of a professional, but a boat owner. The cap doesn't have the gold chin strap of a naval officer, or the scrambled eggs of a senior naval officer. The cap device also lacks the wreath or clear anchors of a licensed professional.

The only professional use of crossed fouled anchors I've found are US Navy Boatswain's, and Warrant officer 1. Warrant officer 1 has barely existed in the modern US Navy, though it is coming back, thanks to the build up of cyber forces. Those officers still wear the gold chin strap however, a sign of the naval officer.
Old 21-05-2021, 09:18   #27

Boat: Currently boatless

I highly recommend Tilley Endurables; pricey but they last forever. As for ballcaps, I have dozens (mainly aerospace company giveaways from all over) and find they are a bloody menace on boats because of the bill overhang. There's also the button on top which I immediately remove with side-cutters because the inside metal backing can score an interesting bloody groove in your scalp if impacted at a certain angle. Removing the button and interior backing doesn't compromise structural integrity.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:22   #28

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbc View Post
Actually, I think this is what everyone has forgotten, at least of past US yachting tradition. The crossed fouled anchors are not the cap device of a professional, but a boat owner. The cap doesn't have the gold chin strap of a naval officer, or the scrambled eggs of a senior naval officer. The cap device also lacks the wreath or clear anchors of a licensed professional.

The only professional use of crossed fouled anchors I've found are US Navy Boatswain's, and Warrant officer 1. Warrant officer 1 has barely existed in the modern US Navy, though it is coming back, thanks to the build up of cyber forces. Those officers still wear the gold chin strap however, a sign of the naval officer.
You still haven’t enlightened us as to the type of maritime conveyance you use to transport yourself (and possibly select others) from place to place.
After all, this is CruisersForum, not HaberdasheryToday.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:24   #29

Boat: Southern Cross, Ketch, 31'

I'm in the Tilley camp. Mine has a floppy brim all the way around and does a decent job of keeping the sun off.
Old 21-05-2021, 09:30   #30

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

My favorite of all time - Costco’s version of The Ultimate Hat, by Solar Escape. The lightest but retains shape with great coverage. On sale a few months ago under $12.00. I bought 4 and have in house, in car, on boat and one on my head!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht