Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 14:44   #1

Tips for Keeping to a Low Budget ? (Circumnavigation)

Hello,

This is my first post here. My roommate and I are young, early twenties. We both served on submarines and are fully confident in our ability to handle the mental stress of a circumnavigation (this also wouldn't be our first, only the first on a surface vessel). We are healthy, fit, and we want to do this while we are still young. We do have good income at our disposal (70k year combined) so we figure we should be in a position to acquire a boat within the year, and be setting sail for a circumnavigation within two.

We both sailed a bit growing up, but are pretty much at zero experience. So I have a few specific questions that I haven't been able to find a straight answer by reading others' posts, and other than that I would love to hear any tips for making a cheap one year circumnavigation.

-What kind of boat could we acquire and fit for under twenty thousand USD. We were thinking something like a 29' cal would be adequate. We had literally 0 living space on a submarine, so even having a deck will be an upgrade. My only concern is that the boat be strong enough to handle the open seas, this isn't a luxury cruise as much as an adventure.

-What kinds of classes, certifications, licenses, & so forth do we need to look into?

-What is the bare minimum amount of equipment, and maybe ballpark costs. (We are the type that are OK with one GPS and a sextant as backup, if it means making this dream happen)

Budget looks like 25k for the boat, and 15k for the year at sea for two of us. We do not plan to insure the boat, and might not have personal health insurance either.

Thanks for your time
mtlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:45   #2

My mother had suggested that I contact a cruising magazine to see if I can write an article for them while underway to help fund our trip.
Old 01-11-2010, 15:29   #3
cruiser

25K for the boat looks on the extreme high side. At times you will be cruising amoung people who live on$2 a day , Learn from them.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:38   #4

I would rather spend less on the boat, and have more money to do a few touristy things. You say 25k is on the high side, and I would agree. As the first question said, do you have suggestions for cheap, sturdy, and functional Water boats">blue water boats?

(also, the boat budget includes all equiptment, new riggings, inspections, and maintenance for the boat)
Old 01-11-2010, 15:43   #5

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I was a submarine sailor too and there are a few others on this forum. It's just me and my dog and I bought a 40' ketch. Lots more living space and room to roam around, people to visit on a submarine than a sailboat. As for budget, provision carefully with plenty of beans, rice, pasta, corn meal, flour, spices etc. to stretch your dollars. With these basics about any piece of meat or fish you run across can be made into a good meal.
Old 01-11-2010, 16:04   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
As an alternative to the Cal 29 : WINDFALL - W28
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:45   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
there are a lot of boats out there that are capable of doing what you want to do.
I pulled up several on the first page of my search that would go quite nicely around, especially if you're not overly concerned about creature comforts.

(Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

there's an alberg 30 on the first page that seem really promising.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:47   #8

Thank you...

Vintageray, how consistent is the fishing underway? Could that be a reliable food source?
Old 01-11-2010, 16:54   #9

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee View Post
Thank you...

Vintageray, how consistent is the fishing underway? Could that be a reliable food source?
Depends where you are and how skilled...don't consider it a mainstay, but rather a supplement..also consider toxicity..many places are polluted...can't eat but a couple striper a month out of the chesapeake.
Old 01-11-2010, 17:02   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee View Post
-What is the bare minimum amount of equipment, and maybe ballpark costs. (We are the type that are OK with one GPS and a sextant as backup, if it means making this dream happen)
Leaving aside whether you ever actually will..........

bare minimum?

Compass
working Engine
GPS (I would be happier with 2. Sextant a nice backup )
Charts. might work out more cost effective to go mainly for a chartplotter, depending on route. but I'd still like enough paper on board to at least find the nearest continent
Solar Power - at least enough to power / charge for the autopilot and nav lights
Autopilot (could do without - but you won't want to)
a couple of hurricane lamps (saves all that electrickery stuff)
A sprayhood / dodger
Stove
A couple of large Anchors. and plenty of chain / rope
A dinghy. and some oars.
Harnesses (am a great beleiver in not falling overboard being the best MOB plan )

Odds are that any boat will have some of the above, plus some "nice to have" stuff maybe even a fridge

What I'd focus the money on:-

New Standing rigging (and fittings)
New Running rigging
New sails
replace / rebed (or seal) the thru' hulls
Additional water tankage (watermaker probably not in budget). ability to catch rain might be useful.
getting the hours in both learning to sail and to skipper and to crew in your locale. and becoming familiar with the boat.
Beer

All presuming the boat is already fundamentally sound. Odds are that the boat will already have all / most of the above in working condition - just on your budget with the word "original" next to them.

BTW I have been RTW. by Jumbo Jet So bear that in mind with the above (which is not meant to be exhaustive). and no doubt I have omitted a couple of fundamentals
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:15   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
how to do it on the cheap

I guess one could write a decalogue of cheap cruising ;-)

My take:

1) ask, listen, learn,
2) prepare well in advance, do not hasten,
3) get a rather small (+/- 23-32'), definitely well maintained boat,
4) DYI,
5) KISS, if sth is a 100% must have - go for quality,
6) get staple supplies where they are less expensive,
7) avoid marinas,
8) avoid countries with pricey entry/cruising/exit fees,
9) cook your own meals,
10) consume less, live more, stay healthy.

Mega Ball - never give up.

From our point of view even an 'expensive' place like French Polynesia was inexpensive - we anchored full time, cooked and ate onboard and had a hell of great time there, and nearly anywhere else.

I think 20k is enough to buy a decent boat (but there will be some extra spent on repairs and upgrades). I think annual boat budget of 2k is OK. I think annual cruising budget of 5k (per person) is OK.

Or at least this is what I think it would cost me to go RTW again.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:42   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
I would look at the Yankee 30 for a good around the world boat. Southern California Yacht Sales (San Diego, CA) Here is one listed for under $17k. I would make sure I had a diesel engine, Try to get as much intregal water and fuel capacity as possible. Make sure that the standing rigging, keelbolts, mast and engine are all in reasonable shape. There are some nice boats to be had.

Here is a link to the Yankee 30 association http://yankee30.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:57   #13

I love the Yankee but would look more towards boats with max LWL in the LOA.

If a boat similar to Baba 30 (but cheaper and with way less external wood) can be had, this would be my direction - max LWL, max inner space, max protection to the rudder/prop).

b.
Old 01-11-2010, 17:59   #14

BTW I do like the Yankee and if I already had a Yankee I would not hesitate to sail her to nearly anywhere.

barnie
Old 01-11-2010, 18:05   #15

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
look for an allied seawind 30, yes im biased, way over built and will take you anywhere in comfort, incredible amount of seaworthiness per dollar...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation