Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlee View Post
The people that discourage and tell me that we wont do it is the reason I was so hesitant to join and post for the past few months.
A little discouragement is no bad thing. Call it a reality check. and on CF it is meant well.

Quote:
the original post asks about boats in the 15k range, that could be fitted for another five. I've been looking at the links people have posted, but most of them are just simply beyond my price range. It's still ok, and appreciated though because I know to watch for said boats if they drop into my range.
Dunno about the economics in your area, but on that budget would be looking not for a cheap boat - but a real bargain. Not impossible, but will require knowing what you are looking at, as unlikely to be real minter. and probably also being prepared to benefit from someone elses misfortune (or over optimism?). Don't be shy about offering low. very low. no one ever says they are desperate for any cash / to get rid of an expense - but sometimes they are.

But easy to get sucked into over optimism on the "bit" of TLC required (on any budget! / boat size!)..........remember that some boats are genuinely worthless (worth less than nothing because even with a dowry you'd still be out of pocket. and the boat may fundamentaly be a dog . Older ain't always good. sometimes it just means old and cr#p. just like cars).

FWIW I think the 29 / 30 foot mark is sensible, any smaller and you will be in the small boat category 24/7, rather than only sometimes. On your budget I would trade beam for LWL - better to have 29 foot of boat in the water rather than 27 with another 3 foot of overhangs, no matter that would be the prettier ).

Be an awesome thing if you acheived it. but even if not the learning curve will always be of value for future endeavours. So I would say on this ambition failure is not possible (unless you meet your former colleagues - on their way up ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:50   #47

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Even if you don't make it all the way around.......even if you don't leave the caribbean..........it'll be a great adventure.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:50   #48

Cape Horn video:

Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52   #49

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Dunno about the economics in your area, but on that budget would be looking not for a cheap boat - but a real bargain. Not impossible, but will require knowing what you are looking at, as unlikely to be real minter. and probably also being prepared to benefit from someone elses misfortune (or over optimism?). Don't be shy about offering low. very low. no one ever says they are desperate for any cash / to get rid of an expense - but sometimes they are..
To follow up on this, can you get to Florida? Take a short mini-vacation and head there if you can. Boats for sale galore. Maybe keep studying up and then try to check out the market there. WAY cheaper than many locations....(including Colorado?
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 13:04   #50

Actually yes, my roommate here is from Florida, so that does seem a rather realistic place to go visit and look at boats/charter a boat for practice...
mtlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 14:11   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But will double when he finds a Laundromat
The Laundromat is 12 Euros for wash and dry per load.
But I found 3 pairs on undies for 3 Uruos at the supermarket. So for 6 Euros per week I am fine and never need to wash nuthin.

Dunno what to do on Sundays...

Go sailing?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 14:45   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The Laundromat is 12 Euros for wash and dry per load.
But I found 3 pairs on undies for 3 Uruos at the supermarket. So for 6 Euros per week I am fine and never need to wash nuthin.

Dunno what to do on Sundays...

Go sailing?

Mark
NUDE....???

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 16:59   #53

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bet MarkJ's expense has more than halved now he's solo....
I don't think so! He's way too chirpy... all that wine, women and song???

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 17:30   #54

Boat: Traditional 30
My biggest tip would be not to buy "anything" except the totally bare essentials before the first and second shakedown cruises. Yachts are full of un-needed gear that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Everyone is different and will have thier own comfort zones. The pardys still sail without a motor, while other sailors cant exist without a washing machine and icemaker. So your bare minimum standard will differ to others. Of course you need Compasses, charts, sextant, safety gear, food and water. Everything else may just be a luxury.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 18:54   #55

Boat: a sailing boat
I am not sure once we start talking sat phones & water-makers we are talking low budget anymore.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 00:49   #56

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Toward the end of the night so bear with me. I saw a historically accurate replica of the Nina (C. Columbus) tied up at a pier in Corpus Christi, TX a few years ago and I would be afraid to set foot on it if they were to untie it, let alone sail across the atlantic ocean on it and they had livestock on board. Makes us all seem like a bunch of puss***.
mtlee, read up a little on MarkJ before you doubt anything he says. He's not an armchair cruiser and has been around a lot. Consider any advice he gives as a gift.
Old 03-11-2010, 00:55   #57

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Oh yeah, fish...don't count on it, nice when and if you catch a good one. I'm looking for a good way to change over from a fridge and ice box to a freezer and ice box. A dozen frozen chickens and a bunch of cheap pork butt roasts will go a long way with the right spices and beans and rice.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If everyone read and believed the tales about the Biscay no one would cross it today.... yet we do regularly and survive...
yes but unfortunately , every year some fool also dies.

The fact is if you now very little, then its " Well punk do you feel lucky" as thats whats comes into play. Often newbies sail into and out of dangerous circumstances that make more experienced people gasp. As I get more experienced and older I play it increasingly safe. Fine maybe Ill never get SWIMBO around the world , but who cares. Merely sitting on teh boat in a beautiful anchorage or bay , sipping a cheapo wine is pleasure in itself. Its not all about "going " places.

For me, going around teh world, would be a many year experience, its will take me 3 years to "do " teh med alone. 18 months circumnavigation , why bother, just buy a lot of airline tickets.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:54   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
why bother, just buy a lot of airline tickets.

Dave
I did

But I understand that other folks have different ideas. Just because they are different to mine don't in itself make them wrong.

Yesterday some fool died..........sitting on the toilet. (statisticallly speaking ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation