Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 14:24   #31

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: More Canadian Questions

Where are you resident in Canada? That can also determine whether PST or HST is payable. Alberta doesn't currently have PST, so my understanding when I was looking at it in 2011/2012, was that if you're an Alberta resident, BC PST isn't payable when you import a boat to Canada. As near as I could understand, this is one of the quirks of navigable waters being federal jurisdiction in Canada. If you become resident on the boat in BC later however, BC may then try and assess PST. If you're serious about it and not a BC resident, some time with a tax accountant or lawyer who understands the finer working of GST/PST/HST's may be worthwhile.

Somebody else has already pointed out the differences in duty for boats built outside of North America (provided the NA Free Trade agreement holds for a while longer.....).

As an asside, we used Vancouver as our home port, and had BC try to collect PST even though we were Alberta residentsb and the boat had never been to Canada (always stayed in the Caribbean and South Pacific), so GST & PST were not payable. Nonetheless, it took me about 6 months to 'prove' to them it had been purchased overseas, had never been in Canada and that I wasn't a BC resident (it's always fun trying to prove negatives to a bureaucrat...) Friends who used Edmonton as their home port never heard anything from BC Tax.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 05:45   #32

More Canadian Questions

[QUOTE=Download7;2517449]Oh Man they really know how to ding you, Thanks for the heads up.[/
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 05:56   #33

Become a non resident for more than a year. Than more back. No tax
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 06:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Very interesting reading and great info for the OP. Day sailing up the coast is certainly an option.

But I still stand by my “no all weather harbours” - by your own description none of the places you stopped prior to Neah Bay would have been suitable in any sort of moderate or worse weather. So a day sail towards a weather closed bar/harbour suddenly becomes an overnight sail on a lee shore. Not something for someone inexperienced.
You are correct in the “no all weather harbours” comment.

However, a definition of daysail could well mean that one KNOWS what the weather will be doing THAT PARTICULAR day. IIRC, the longest day was 13 hours, to Neah Bay. I discussed that in detail.

My experience was that it is quite possible to do so in any "half a day."

Of course, one must choose the right time of year. And also be lucky. But we were caught in Fort Bragg for a week.

But luck should have little to do with daily weather planning. We found Passage Weather to be excellent and spot on. NOAA and other websites were also consulted daily. Tillamook Bar (Garibaldi) was closed until we got there, but only because of the state of the river current until it turned to flood. "Timing (and planning) is everything," as they say. ST&D.

The chances of weather "suddenly" turning (within any given day) rarely happens on that coast at that time of year. Other times of year? Certainly, in that you are completely correct.

It worked for us.

We were definitely NOT dealing with all weather issues, because that was not what my research about the trip had indicated as far as weather was concerned.

Would it have worked the year before or the year after? I simply don't know.

And that trip is not advised for the inexperienced, boat or skipper & crew. Ever.

Glad you and others enjoyed the story.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote