Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 19:11   #1

More Canadian Questions

Long time lurker first time poster. We are pretty young Canadians looking at buying a boat on the west coast of the states and I'm just trying to save a few bucks.

From what I've read I only need to pay the Canadian Tax once I bring it into Canadian waters, but that is something we want to do as we want to start out with mostly local trips and learn the boats ins and outs and get it ready for the south pacific or more depending on cash and how much fun we're having.

I've read the recent threads about Canadians buying boats in the Caribbean but I didn't find the answers I was looking for. The way I see it is we have 2 options and it's the second one that has too many unknowns for me.

Option A:

Motor it up to Vancouver (where we live) and register it upon entry and pay taxes (12%) which could be up to 9k for our price range. (Motoring up because we are not ready for going to Hawaii and back)

Option B:

Put the boat in my GFs name who is Dual citizen and leave it registered in the US. (I am assuming that I can not register a boat in the US as a canadian citizen)

What would I be paying to do that in the states? Cali or Washington tax? 5%?

Does she have to have a residence down there?

She is fearful that they will come after her for income-tax like they are a lot of other Americans not working or living in America, does anyone have experience with this?

How long can we have a US registered boat in canada before we have to leave to reset the clock, how long do we have to leave for?

Any other expenses that I missed?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

I've been keeping my eye on an Endeavour 42 and a Nelson-Marek 445 but really anything with an aft cabin with a centerline berth catches my attention if it has at least a 'sail area/disp.' of 15 or higher
Download7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 19:42   #2
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: More Canadian Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Download7 View Post
Any other expenses that I missed?
If the boat was not NAFTA manufactured and you bring it into Canada you are looking at an additional 9.5% duty. I assume taxes are on the duty paid price so taxes go up a smitch as well.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 19:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
If the boat was not NAFTA manufactured and you bring it into Canada you are looking at an additional 9.5% duty. I assume taxes are on the duty paid price so taxes go up a smitch as well.
Oh Man they really know how to ding you, Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-11-2017, 19:48   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Boats are titled in one of 2 ways here, documented by CG which requires you to be US citizen, or registered by the state Department of Motor Vehicles which can be held by Canadian citizen. California will require "use" tax at same rate as "sales" tax for the county it is purchased in, about 10%. Payable at time you transfer title at DMV or for documented vessels you are responsible to pay to the Franchise Tax Board (State tax agency).
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 19:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Boats are titled in one of 2 ways here, documented by CG which requires you to be US citizen, or registered by the state Department of Motor Vehicles which can be held by Canadian citizen. California will require "use" tax at same rate as "sales" tax for the county it is purchased in, about 10%. Payable at time you transfer title at DMV or for documented vessels you are responsible to pay to the Franchise Tax Board (State tax agency).
So I just want to make sure I read that right, If I put the boat in my GFs name and register with the coast guard I still have to pay about 10% tax to the Franchise Tax Board? So it's not a money saver to keep it registered in the states then... bummer

Thank you so much for your help
Old 12-11-2017, 20:17   #6

Noodle around this site

Visitor Information - Transport Canada

There's visitor information and limits on stays, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 20:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Noodle around this site

Visitor Information - Transport Canada

There's visitor information and limits on stays, too.
Awesome Thank you
Old 13-11-2017, 03:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Download.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 05:49   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Long time lurker first time poster. We are pretty young Canadians looking at buying a boat on the west coast of the states and I'm just trying to save a few bucks.
I have to say, given the recent release of the Paradise Papers, this posting is kinda ironic or amusing. Seems like you’re looking to use a loophole to avoid legitimate tax. But whatever...

Quote:
She is fearful that they will come after her for income-tax like they are a lot of other Americans not working or living in America, does anyone have experience with this?
Personally, I would consult a lawyer specializing in this area. I have a good friend who has been fending of Uncle Sam’s tax over-reach for years now. It’s been a major emotional and financial drain. I’d certainly suspect that registering a boat down there would indicated some level of residence, which could very well trigger greater likelihood of insuring the wrath of the IRS.
Old 13-11-2017, 17:52   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
So I just want to make sure I read that right, If I put the boat in my GFs name and register with the coast guard I still have to pay about 10% tax to the Franchise Tax Board? So it's not a money saver to keep it registered in the states then... bummer

Thank you so much for your help
The 10% only applies if you register it in California. Oregon has no sales tax and you can register it there. I don't know what the WA state tax is but it should be easy to find with a google search. I live in CA. I bought a boat in Canada and the plan was to sail it south and turn left at the canal. I registered it in MT. I met all the requirements. I did not have to pay $20k in taxes. I'm not sure it was worth it. We sailed as far North as Desolation Sound and as far south as La Paz. The hassle factor was tremendous.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 14:06   #11

Boat: Outremer 55L
More Canadian Questions

Typically registration and import duties are two separate things. Import duties are based on owner residence, so unless you can prove your GF is resident outside of Canada, you will need to import the boat into Canada and pay the taxes, regardless of whether the boat is registered in Canada, a US state, Jersey, Malaysia or anywhere else.

If you’re not planning on going international for a few years, you could just license in Canada then consider registration later.

And regarding giving the boat ownership to your GF, how sure are you that the relationship will last? I would ask the same question if you were married. If things go wrong, at best you would get only 50% ownership in relationship property.

As for bringing the boat up the West Coast, don’t even think about it if you’re not prepared to go via Hawaii. That coast has no safe harbours (without bars) between San Francisco and Vancouver Island, so should be treated as an offshore passage. Study the currents and winds and understand why the sailing route is via Hawaii.

You can hire a professional delivery skipper and go with him or her - an invaluable experience and fastest way to learn your boat and some seamanship.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 17:41   #12

Boat: Hunter 37C

Find a lawyer who will do a “high seas” sale. You motor out into international waters with today’s news paper and a hand held GPS and photograph showing the front page (ie. date), lat/lon, seller and purchaser.

It won’t get you out of all the taxes and duties but some of them.
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 17:58   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I imported my boat from the US. Contact Marine Documentation Services in Anacortes and they'll help you with the registration.

I used to think my brain was my most important organ then I thought 'wait, who's telling me that?'

Nick
Old 14-11-2017, 19:30   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B25Matt View Post
Find a lawyer who will do a “high seas” sale. You motor out into international waters with today’s news paper and a hand held GPS and photograph showing the front page (ie. date), lat/lon, seller and purchaser.

It won’t get you out of all the taxes and duties but some of them.
Not true at all for a Canadian boat.. It matters not where the transaction occured, taxes are due when the boat enters Canadian waters (if Canadian registered).. Sailing it offshore with a newspaper will gain you ZERO here!

I have no other answers to your other questions, except are we forgetting GST/PST? The tax may be much higher than you think
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:37   #15

Boat: Hunter 37C

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Not true at all for a Canadian boat.. It matters not where the transaction occured, taxes are due when the boat enters Canadian waters (if Canadian registered).. Sailing it offshore with a newspaper will gain you ZERO here!

I have no other answers to your other questions, except are we forgetting GST/PST? The tax may be much higher than you think
I stand corrected. The situation I was thinking of was of a Canadian selling to another Canadian , the boat was in Florida and with no intention of ever bringing it into Canada.
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote