Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2024, 00:39   #1

It's my island (Packet)

I get an idea in my head, and that's that. I am going to sail around the world. I am going to do it in an Island Packet. Now this is where I need a little advice. Should I learn how to sail first or buy the boat first? . Definitely buy the boat first. That way if you find out you hate sailing, you have a water front cabin with the high cost of moorage in Tacoma. Definitely buy the boat first. Island Packets are made on the flat side of the country. Ya, I know. There are very few for sale out here. Ya, I know. I will pay out the *SS to have one shipped out here! Smart. Now you're thinking. What year? Oh, I definitely want one I have to change the chain plates in. 1997? Perfect!!!!. Might as well get new rigging while the mast is down. Yep!!!! You know this is the same thing as when you completely restored the 1986 Vanagon Synchro, right? Not the same. You put in 1000s of hours to meticulously restore the van. This is different. How? Well, I will get to put in 1000s of hours to meticulously restore a boat. See the van can't go on the water, the boat can. Not the same. You could have retired at 40 if you didn't have these, "ideas". BORING!!! Step 1, buy a boat. Step 2, learn how to sail. Step 3 sail off to the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea, cross over the top of the Aleutian Islands and then head for the equator. Why? Not sure. Sounds fun.
I am sorry you all have to listen to me argue with myself. They will tell you the same thing. Buy a local boat capable of blue water sailing. NOPE. You're dumb! Okay.
Gilled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet