Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2024, 09:29   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: It's my island (Packet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrickwallace View Post
The lessons are included as part of the sailing club I'm joining (Fairwind Yacht Club), and cost nothing extra. The club itself only costs $1400/year, which includes use of all their boats, which range from 22' to 39'. It's a member-run club that requires volunteer maintenance work, which IMO is a great way to learn about the upkeep of a boat. The ASA 101 and 103 certification is required (likely for insurance reasons). It's a great way to get in a lot of sailing without having to immediately purchase a boat. Even a starter boat, in Southern California, becomes a big expense given the costs of marina slips.
The club sounds like an excellent choice. My buddy did one up here in Portland and has been a member for a few years now. It has worked out well. If you really want to learn to sail use the smallest, lightest boats they have. Ideally a dinghy. Lasers are a blast and when you make a mistake you'll know it immediately as you'll be in the water. Small, light lets you feel the wind and the wind shifts better. If they only have small boats than get on a racing boat. Could be a club boat or any other boat that races. Racing will teach you how to read the wind, the water etc. Make you a bunch better sailor.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 09:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
The club sounds like an excellent choice. My buddy did one up here in Portland and has been a member for a few years now. It has worked out well. If you really want to learn to sail use the smallest, lightest boats they have. Ideally a dinghy. Lasers are a blast and when you make a mistake you'll know it immediately as you'll be in the water. Small, light lets you feel the wind and the wind shifts better. If they only have small boats than get on a racing boat. Could be a club boat or any other boat that races. Racing will teach you how to read the wind, the water etc. Make you a bunch better sailor.
I love sailing smaller boats. I learned on Lido 14s, and had a 14' Melonseed Skiff for years. There's something really joyful about just zipping around the bay on a small boat completely under sail. I never really got into racing, but the little that I did on the small boats was fun. I need to look into it more because there's no question that it's a great way to gain skills fast. The club does have a few old small racing boats that were Olympic boats back in the day, and you need to work up through those and get checked out before they hand you the keys to the medium and large boats.
kendrickwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 01:40   #18

Boring is good. I have been a King Crab fisherman, Cavalry Scout, M1A1 Abrams crew member, LCU 2000 commander, Washington State Ferry relief captain, and class 5 whitewater river runner. I could use some, "boring". When looking for a boat, I asked for the slowest, most boring boat they make. I've been going fast since puberty. Time to go slow. Thanks.
Gilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 01:48   #19

Okay,, phase one complete. Offer accepted on an Island Packet 380. very well taken care of boat. Most of its life spent in fresh water. Owner bought it to sail the world but his significant other doesn't want anything to do with it. As far as IPs go, it was on par with price but the work done in preparation for his adventures was significant. All rigging, Dickinson heater, water maker, solar, additional watt hour capacity, in mast furling, roller furling jib and staysail, new tender with 2 stroke motor, and more. I ended up spending quite a bit more than I first intended to but when I first started down this road I had no clue what I was budgeting for. Next step: get underway and start pulling on lines. See what happens. If there is anyone that wants to go sailing in the Tacoma area, it is bound to be damn entertaining.
Old 27-01-2024, 01:56   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
island packets are boring.
Wow! I am dreaming to have an opportunity like that!
Olivia1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 02:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia1006 View Post
Wow! I am dreaming to have an opportunity like that!
You can do this!!!!!! I will be waiting out there for you. You got this!
Old 27-01-2024, 08:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilled View Post
Okay,, phase one complete...
Congratulations! Would love to see pics of the boat you went with. Have fun out there.
kendrickwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 08:28   #23

Boat: IP 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilled View Post
Okay,, phase one complete. Offer accepted on an Island Packet 380. very well taken care of boat. Most of its life spent in fresh water. Owner bought it to sail the world but his significant other doesn't want anything to do with it. As far as IPs go, it was on par with price but the work done in preparation for his adventures was significant. All rigging, Dickinson heater, water maker, solar, additional watt hour capacity, in mast furling, roller furling jib and staysail, new tender with 2 stroke motor, and more. I ended up spending quite a bit more than I first intended to but when I first started down this road I had no clue what I was budgeting for. Next step: get underway and start pulling on lines. See what happens. If there is anyone that wants to go sailing in the Tacoma area, it is bound to be damn entertaining.
Thats awesome. Congrats!
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 13:28   #24

Boat: Caliber 40

In December 2023 I sold my Caliber 40 (poor man's Island Packet) to a couple with the same dream and same questions. The dream is now falling apart because they cannot find any marine insurance with acceptable rates and terms. They have a lot of experience and education but no prior boat ownership.

They did have a written quote for coverage on my boat prior to buying it last December but when it came time to pay the premium the insurance denied the quote.

You mentioned Tacoma (our hailing port):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirador Frozen in Dock Street 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	285872  
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet