Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 08:57   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Can't get Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brise View Post
Are you kidding? worth doing a search of the various sailing forums for their reputation.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings...arine-services

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:45   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonauta1 View Post
We used https://bluewateryachtinsurance.net/ throughout our circumnavigation. Always had coverage; never had a claim.

N.B. as with all such recommendations: an insured who has never had a claim hasn't actually used the product; you don't know for sure that you always had coverage.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:06   #48

We are Florida residents who might be in state for 3 weeks a year. We had our boat in Florida for a week last year. Typically we sail the east coast, Caribbean, Bermuda and prepping for a trans Atlantic. The boat is big, 61’, old 1974, sailed by just my wife and I. The boat has a recent survey.

We’re insured through Markel in Maryland. You might try them, they have been good to work with.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:23   #49

Boat: CS 33 (Shoal Draft)

We've experienced the same issue, altho we have never made a claim...on anything...including the boat.

We were told they would not insure us for international travel (Canada, US and Bahamas). Also claimed the boat was too old (1984). I thought that was the purpose of a survey.

I was told "Good Old Boat" Magazine recently highlighted the issue. Seems insurance companies only want to insure "sure things"...which sort of defeats the purpose of insurance...IMHO.

We are likely going with liability only coverage.
alofns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:31   #50

I listened to a podcast recently on boat insurance. It was interesting and had good tips in it. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/liveaboard-sailing-podcast/id1569254815?i=1000554936725
wheelerwbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:38   #51

Boat: Leopard 40

Have you contacted Jackline?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 15:36   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 - Laureat 1

This is not true Offshore Risk Management has offered me insurance in Florida. You should check them.
Laureat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 15:38   #53

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 - Laureat 1

This is not true, Offshore Risk Management in Cocoa Florida offered me insurance in Florida.
Laureat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubeta View Post
We are buying a new FP MY6 44' power cat. We are wanting the entire Caribbean on the insurance, but would settle for all of the Bahama Island chain if we had to.

We had a total loss last year due to a fire. We had insurance with Concepts, but they won't renew us. The claim is closed and paid out.

I've tried just about everything trying to get insurance. We keep getting declined.

We will be keeping the boat in FL at a private residence until hurricane season is over.

Any idea who could get us insured? I have tried 2 different brokers in FL with no luck.

Need more info.... age and worth of boat, and where you're based and travel.

And there's an argument to go bare with liability only.
I could argue that if you're a prudent and safety conscious boater, you're better off if the hull coverage exceeds 2% of value. I know, it sounds scary, but put that premium you save in a good investment and it doesn't take that long to save up the value of the boat. Plus, with a claim,you're in control, not some insurance adjuster that's hell bent to screw you (which happens all the time).

OR spend the premium saved on safety items, check ups, etc. Be aggressive about avoiding risky travel.

It works. Many have done that and are way ahead not, without the hassle of an insurance company and lawyers.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:51   #55

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

I am in agreement with LarryO. Liability only for me for the last 40 years. If your boat is too large a portion of your net worth then maybe you could consider having a less expensive boat and/or buying less expensive insurance. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:59   #56

Boat: Island Packet 38

FWIW, we here in Fl (sailboat in canal behind house) were booted by Geico this year for a few things; one, I was told, was they no longer want to deal with 3rd party agents, and the other was age of sailboat. My agent (really great guy) knew it happened well before I was notified by Geico. He was able to provide same coverage as before - Texas to Canada, Bahamas down to Turks/Caicos using American Modern. About $1K more than last year after I scaled back the coverage area. Greg Hibbard Oversea Yacht Insurance Northeast Division – New York Direct (914) 649-6569 Mobile (914) 649-6569 greg@​overseainsurance.com
a1jacktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:35   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
I am in agreement with LarryO. Liability only for me for the last 40 years. If your boat is too large a portion of your net worth then maybe you could consider having a less expensive boat and/or buying less expensive insurance. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.

I always keep full coverage, but I don't have to. My boat is long since paid for, so if I wanted to do something difficult to insure I could go with just liability.
I can't imagine having no insurance at all, not only could I not stay in my marina I would not be willing to risk everything I own in case of some accident. Weird s.. (stuff) happens, long ago some somewhat clueless sailors ended up drifting with no engine in the shipping channel, a tanker had to go around them and got stuck on the sandbar at Sandy Point, and the luckless sailors got stuck with the towing bill for the tanker which added up to $300,000 or so
* also to add to the fun the people on the boat jumped overboard and swam all the way across the Bay at night, about 4 miles to Kent Island vs. going the other way to Sandy Point at maybe 3/4s of a mile or even better staying on the boat
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:01   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
I always keep full coverage, but I don't have to. My boat is long since paid for, so if I wanted to do something difficult to insure I could go with just liability.
I can't imagine having no insurance at all, not only could I not stay in my marina I would not be willing to risk everything I own in case of some accident. Weird s.. (stuff) happens, long ago some somewhat clueless sailors ended up drifting with no engine in the shipping channel, a tanker had to go around them and got stuck on the sandbar at Sandy Point, and the luckless sailors got stuck with the towing bill for the tanker which added up to $300,000 or so
* also to add to the fun the people on the boat jumped overboard and swam all the way across the Bay at night, about 4 miles to Kent Island vs. going the other way to Sandy Point at maybe 3/4s of a mile or even better staying on the boat

Also Increasingly countries are mandating minimum third party liability. Greece is the latest
Old 07-06-2022, 08:17   #59

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26

We had really good luck with Bluewater Yacht Insurance in Jupiter, Florida.https://bluewateryachtinsurance.net/
Our Morgan 382 incurred damage from three hurricanes in Florida and the Bahamas, they always paid and we were never declined.
raymondrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:38   #60

Boat: Leopard 50

Geico /Boat US told us this week that they are no longer insuring any multihulls.
Boardshorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance