Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2022, 15:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 27, Tall Rig Wing Keel
Am I forgetting anything

Hello! I am currently in the final stages of purchasing my first sailboat and just want to make sure there aren't any steps I'm missing before I finalize the transaction. For reference the purchase price is $5,000 and I'm working with a private seller.

1. I met up with the seller inspected the boat myself, and we took it on a short sea trial.
2. I had a surveyor inspect the boat and no unexpected major issues were found. Of course there are some issues as it's an older, cheaper boat, but I expected these.
3. I will be purchasing insurance as well as towing insurance to take effect the date of our transaction.
4. I have the following for our final transaction
- The seller is bringing the original title and will transfer it to me, he will also give me the current registration
- I am bringing a bill of sale we will both sign
new-to-sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 16:24   #2

Boat: Dufour 29
Re: Am I forgetting anything

It varies a bit state by state, but basically if you are happy with the boat and the price the key bit is that you get title and pay at that time. You will then have to comply with state laws which may or may not require more payments.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 17:46   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

The smart thing to do is for both buyer and seller got together to the whether is required to do the transfer. That way you know the title can be transferred before parting with your money.
Old 07-09-2022, 18:45   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

That's more than I usually do for a $5k boat. I mean, it's only $5k, right? You can spend that much getting the propshaft aligned on a larger boat.
Old 07-09-2022, 18:51   #5

Check your state boat registration requirements online. Some require notarized bills of sail and there are different forms for proof of tax payment.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That's more than I usually do for a $5k boat. I mean, it's only $5k, right? You can spend that much getting the propshaft aligned on a larger boat.
Ya with the price being so low the survey probably wasn’t really needed and I’m definitely overthinking things. This is my first boat though so I’m just making sure I cross my Ts and dot my Is. The boat is a 27’ so all the titling and such is required.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:05   #7

Also, I gave a call to the DNR and they confirmed the documents needed for the transfer so it looks live everything’s in order. Like I said just wanted to confirm there wasn’t anything big missing.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 08-09-2022, 07:10   #8

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Only thing missing is buying a bottle of your favorite to toast your becoming a boat owner and sailor!
Congrats!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:15   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

have your dockage and insurance lined up before you buy it.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
This will be my plan when I get ready to buy my boat. What I’m gathering from these types of threads and my own research is that if you’re a new or low-time sailor you can just about forget anything 36 feet or more… better to have at least a year’s worth of chartering under your belt and take some courses to show that you’ve had at least SOME proper training (hopefully, anyway…) and THEN go looking for insurance. If you get declined right out of the gate, it appears that things can get exponentially more difficult. Once all that is settled, or at least lined up, then it’s time to find a slip. Only after those two things are settled can you seriously be ready to buy a boat.

For folks who have already been through all the stuff I’m about to be going through, does this sound about right?
kd410se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 10:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd410se View Post
This will be my plan when I get ready to buy my boat. What I’m gathering from these types of threads and my own research is that if you’re a new or low-time sailor you can just about forget anything 36 feet or more… better to have at least a year’s worth of chartering under your belt and take some courses to show that you’ve had at least SOME proper training (hopefully, anyway…) and THEN go looking for insurance. If you get declined right out of the gate, it appears that things can get exponentially more difficult. Once all that is settled, or at least lined up, then it’s time to find a slip. Only after those two things are settled can you seriously be ready to buy a boat.

For folks who have already been through all the stuff I’m about to be going through, does this sound about right?
It's a $5000 boat.. at MOST you'll want liability.. if that (i wouldnt Not get liability)
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 10:18   #12

Boat: Caliber 28

liability may even be covered by your homeowners insurance...
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 10:27   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
And a camera to record the day
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote