Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2023, 15:24   #1

Boat: Rawson 30
Banking recommendation for the North American West Coast

Hi All,

For those of you on the west coast of the US, Canada and Mexico:

I'm looking for a bank that covers all your personal banking needs for cruising the area I mentioned. Fuel docks, grocery stores, perhaps a bill pay site. Any banks you trust to handle your cruising lifestyle? I'd like to know as I'm considering changing banks and I don't want to get locked into any specific ATM or regional system.

Thanks!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 18:47   #2

Boat: Flamingo 42
Re: Banking recommendation for the North American West Coast

We have been happy with Schwab bank. They reimbursed the ATM fee at the end of the month and their exchange rate are good (no extra % just the regular rate)
svRaison d Etre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 18:51   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

+1 on Schwab. I use it globally and have never had even the slightest issue. No foreign transaction fee, pays interest, ATM fee reimbursed. Combine that with a Wise account and its the way to go.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 21:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
+1 on Schwab. I use it globally and have never had even the slightest issue. No foreign transaction fee, pays interest, ATM fee reimbursed. Combine that with a Wise account and its the way to go.
+1 on the Wise account.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 01:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Hi All,

For those of you on the west coast of the US, Canada and Mexico:

I'm looking for a bank that covers all your personal banking needs for cruising the area I mentioned. Fuel docks, grocery stores, perhaps a bill pay site. Any banks you trust to handle your cruising lifestyle? I'd like to know as I'm considering changing banks and I don't want to get locked into any specific ATM or regional system.

Thanks!
I own property in Mexico and US. Several years ago I tried to open a bank account with HSBC that has global locations. They advertised a consumer service that was a truly multi-country bank account (or as close as possible given regulations that severely limit cross-border banking). Ended up with an HSBC US account, but not the cross-border flexibility of a Mexican account. My impression was twofold: HSBC has been slapped with various banking fines and was still reeling; and the banking requirements filtered out law abiding users with legitimate needs but were likely workable for nefarious actors with staff.

Like a previous post, I've used Wise and Schwab for years. The issue with using a credit/debit in Mexico is there is a fairly robust criminal business in skimming credit card numbers, especially at ATMs, which will generate a fraud-alert shut-down your card. It's difficult to get a replacement sent.

I've recently received a Wise prepaid debit card which promises their 'spot' rates on credit card transactions. Unlike US-based banks (and presumably Canadian banks), there are no fraud protections with a Wise credit card so I'll keep a low balance funding the account. The up-side is replenishment only takes a few seconds.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 19:51   #6

Boat: Rawson 30

Thanks for the information. I've checked into these options and they look perfect for my needs.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, west coast