Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 11:33   #1

Weaver 2-part Hypalon Adhesive

Weaver 2-part Hypalon Adhesive from Defender

Another fine product brought to you by folks who have never stepped foot on a cruising boat.

I love the instructions: “Do not use in high humidity, direct sun, or near the water”

I’m in the tropics surrounded by a flippin’ ocean!

And I have to allow the glue to set for 24-hours before using the inflatable. How am I supposed to get home to the boat from the beach? Walk on the water that is not so near?

And who on a sailboat can accurately mix glue to hardener at a 1:25 ratio? And to make it even more difficult, the adhesive is labeled in ounces and the hardener in milliliters.

Another product more suited to the home workshop.
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:53   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Weaver 2-part Hypalon Adhesive

However, it works!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:55   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

The mixing ratio is not that critical. The drying time before application needs to not be shorted.
The 2 part stuff does not have a long shelf life, so make sure you use it early. It might be dead if it has been on the boat 6 months or more. There really isn't good alternatives that will repair ad strongly.
Old 02-04-2017, 13:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have bought a kitchen scale to mix adhesives, similar to a drug scale.
$10 on Amazon
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:34   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

Save your money. Just use 5200. Tried and true among myself and dock mates for seemingly impossible dinghy fixes. I am ready for the naysayers now.
Cool Runnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
Save your money. Just use 5200. Tried and true among myself and dock mates for seemingly impossible dinghy fixes. I am ready for the naysayers now.
5200 works as an often messy repair. It is not as strong or long lasting as the two part glue. A good test would be gluing on extra handles. You could do one with 5200 and one with two-part. I bet the 5200 rips off way before a properly done two-part glue.
The 5200 is a lot easier to keep fresh on the boat with small tubes that are available.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:44   #7

Boat: Catalina 42

I agree, the 5200 is messy. I tape off the areas around the repair. However, I have seen no reason to doubt its strength.
Cool Runnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:18   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Helped another cruiser do a hypalon repair. Used correct single part adhesive, and cleaned and prepped as per instructions. Had very good luck doing this in my garage. However at anchor in the Exumas, the exact procedure didn't hold. It was too humid. We went to 5200. Let it sit two days, and then held great. Messy as hell.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 19:05   #9

I am not familiar with either the Weaver or 5200 adhesives.

However I have used Rema Tip Top SC 2000 for over 35 years repairing both hypalon and neoprene inflatables. It is a liquid neoprene contact adhesive with a curing/crossing linking second part. The key to its success is for two reasons:
1. The adhesive is very low viscosity and extremely easy to get a uniform coverage both both coats which are required.
2. The curing agent results in a cross linked rubber is gives extremely good strength of bond as well as great heat resistance.
All in all a great product. The best I have come across.
Rema Tip Top is in the business of adhesives for the tyre industry and the industrial conveyor belt industry. It is a German product. It is freely available throughout Australia. Look it up on the web,
rspier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rspier.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 03:57   #11

Boat: Fuji45

I used 5200 on the port rub rail of my hypalon dinghy and the rail fell off within 3 or 4 months. I bought an old half-used container of the 2 part weaver adhesive for hypalon from another cruiser and the rail has been stuck for almost a year now... and shows no signs of coming off. Now the stb rail has dislodged and I cannot get the weavers 2 part here in Fiji. I am hoping another option besides 5200?
Old 17-03-2019, 14:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
I used 5200 on the port rub rail of my hypalon dinghy and the rail fell off within 3 or 4 months. I bought an old half-used container of the 2 part weaver adhesive for hypalon from another cruiser and the rail has been stuck for almost a year now... and shows no signs of coming off. Now the stb rail has dislodged and I cannot get the weavers 2 part here in Fiji. I am hoping another option besides 5200?
5200 is the go to temporary solution when you can't get the appropriate two part adhesive. The fast set is better, as the regular5200 takes a week to cure.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 14:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspier View Post

However I have used Rema Tip Top SC 2000 for over 35 years repairing both hypalon and neoprene inflatables. It is a liquid neoprene contact adhesive with a curing/crossing linking second part. The key to its success is for two reasons:
1. The adhesive is very low viscosity and extremely easy to get a uniform coverage both both coats which are required.
2. The curing agent results in a cross linked rubber is gives extremely good strength of bond as well as great heat resistance.
Rema Tip Top is in the business of adhesives for the tyre industry and the industrial conveyor belt industry. It is a German product. It is freely available throughout Australia. Look it up on the web,
+1 for Rema Tip Top SC 2000
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 15:05   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Out on a limb: I just spent a week chasing leaks on two dinghy, 5200, then 6000 and finally...wait for it: flex seal- yup, it’s now a swift boat (as in Phil) with apologies to John Kerry. This stuff seems to work, fills in the voids, couple of coats. I did the first one in black and the second in white to assure measured coverage. Longevity will be the tale told. Thread bare hypalon and actually penetrations have sealed up. If I missed something, I re-coat. Says right in the container, hypalon compatible. So far. So good. Maybe a short term alternative to a new replacement strategy.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 14:11   #15

Boat: Fuji45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspier View Post

Thanks for this. Sounds like exactly the perfect product fix. It appears to be a bit pricey, and I think it only comes in a kilo size can, but if I can find it in Fiji, I'll bite the bullet. Still, if I got this far, you'd think I could find a bloody can of glue.

Tags
adhesive