Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 07:39   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Review Furuno DRS4W Radar 4 iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
Probably because most people are not trained radar operators.
I am a trained radar operator… a trained radar technician as well. Here is the deal about these radars: compared to radars from 20 years ago, this wifi radar is a sci-fi miracle, with a performance that wasn’t possible then.

But times have changed. Compared to other modern radars like the Doppler versions (Halo) or even the Simrad/B&G 3G/4G, these wifi radars are lacking features. They wisely left them out so that what you get (features available) is still reasonable.

If these radars do what you want and you don’t feel like doing a radar operator course or self studying radar use, then these are okay

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:30   #32

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I am a trained radar operator… a trained radar technician as well. Here is the deal about these radars: compared to radars from 20 years ago, this wifi radar is a sci-fi miracle, with a performance that wasn’t possible then.

But times have changed. Compared to other modern radars like the Doppler versions (Halo) or even the Simrad/B&G 3G/4G, these wifi radars are lacking features. They wisely left them out so that what you get (features available) is still reasonable.

If these radars do what you want and you don’t feel like doing a radar operator course or self studying radar use, then these are okay
You obviously haven’t used one.
Old 26-07-2021, 08:46   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I moved from many years of using a Furuno 1715 to a Furuno wireless with iPad after Hurricane Micheal took out my antenna. The only thing I miss is the range of manual adjustment available on the 1715. I can't tune to tracking seagulls, and displaying the boundaries of a rain squall is difficult. Otherwise, it's a big step up.
Old 26-07-2021, 10:56   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You obviously haven’t used one.
You are wrong and I don’t understand the need for such false accusations. You don’t even know me. I have used most radars, from the smallest to open array 22 feet scanners; maintained and repaired them commercially as well.

This unit works and does what it was designed for: see ships around you, find the channel markers or harbor entrance in fog etc.

Old 26-07-2021, 11:33   #35

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
..... I can state that this radar is useless for collision avoidance which is the primary purpose of radar......
I have this radar and it works as follows

1) See target on ipad screen.
2) Take whatever action you deem necessary to maintain safety.

If fact with the guard ring alarm that can be set its a godsend when single handed sailing as the ipad can move with you around the vessel.

Its great having high end/on paper/reviewed on the internet/I was trained in the navy/CG/Merchant fleet etc etc expecting superb radar performance and critiquing other products relative to this but setting aside the cost and the other features that may or may not be available at other price points. There are some advantages of this product.

1) It is a radar and perhaps a commentary on what it can do vs no radar may be a better guide.
2) You don't have to stare wistfully at a fixed screen from a fixed point on your vessel, a practical impossibility. The greatest radar is only as good as the Mk1 eyeball looking at it.

It is practical and for that reason alone I would recommend it. I spent an age looking at alternates and this is a great solution without rewiring and extensive upgrades to existing electronics and/or paying an exorbitant cost for discontinued compatible secondhand equipment.

OBTW I just re-read and it seems like the OP didn't buy the product just used it and critiqued it? Please correct me if I have that wrong.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 15:18   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh my, is it about this unit not having collision warnings?

Just to be sure, here is the -only- correct way to determine this: you take bearings to the target and compare them over time. If the bearing stays the same, you will collide. If the target moves more forward of you, it will pass in front etc.

You can do these bearings with binoculars with compass, with a nice EBL on a posh radar for live view, but with the drs4w you need to take the bearings just like with the binoculars.

Attached the manual page showing this feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96F8E8F0-44AE-4653-B13D-363B6A87714A.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	242800  

Old 26-07-2021, 17:33   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh my, is it about this unit not having collision warnings?
Just to be sure, here is the -only- correct way to determine this: you take bearings to the target and compare them over time. If the bearing stays the same, you will collide.
When I was in my 20's (in the 1900's) I took a Canadian Power Squadron course. The very first thing we were taught was what and how you described it. It was labelled as a "Bow to beam bearing". If it didn't change, you were on a collisions course. The second thing we were taught was that it was safer to slow down than try and speed up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 17:52   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think the point that the OP considers himself a skilled radar operator is the problem: his expectations are too high for such an inexpensive product. My 11-year old Furuno radar/MFD can automatically track radar targets (similar to AIS), providing closest point of approach (CPA) and time to CPA. But to do that it has to have heading and speed inputs (electronic compass and knotmeter); I don't see a tablet or phone as appropriate for that sort of calculation. Does OCPN have that capability? For the price getting a simple radar display, without analysis, up on a tablet seems a pretty good deal. I do wonder why he was having problems tuning it to pick up some obvious targets though.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 00:24   #39

Any of you First Watchers use your iphone with it? a 10" iPad is obviously ideal, but how about that small screen? Convenience factor seems huge and it'd be a collision pager alert.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:58   #40

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

How about one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/32452403712...MAAOSwSURgUJob for a display?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 15:00   #41

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

bought tablet on eBay for $35. worked great

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 15:45   #42

Boat: Tartan 37
Review Furuno DRS4W Radar 4 iPad

I have been using this radar for 2 years now. It does what it’s supposed to, collision avoidance and spotting bouts in the fog or at night. It’s a basic bare bones consumer radar set, I think the op might be expecting to much of it. I like the IPad / IPhone interface it makes using it very flexible.

If I was going to do it again I would probably spend the extra money and get a radar with darpa.

With that said, I’m happy with this one and it works great for our use.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 16:07   #43

Yeah, I agree, I'm a solo sailor and had a furuno 1731 Mk2. worked good, but developed a hitch, something called a HD SIG MISS. I think it's a cable problem. So wireless sounds good to me. Maybe as you say the OP has too high expectation. I've been researching it. A lot of folks are happy, some not.
Curious, whats been your experience with Watchman and Guard functions?

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 29-09-2021, 16:35   #44

Boat: Tartan 37
Review Furuno DRS4W Radar 4 iPad

Never really used it. They have a demo app that you can download and try the features out.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 16:47   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJ87 View Post
Never really used it. They have a demo app that you can download and try the features out.
Set the guard zone to 36 miles. The Watchman mode sets the radar to stand-by and then transmits the radar at a user selected interval to check for target changes in the Guard Zone.

This is a valuable thing for me on open ocean I can set the watchman at 1/2 hour intervals, it wakes up, sweeps and goes back to sleep for another 1/2 hour. My radar had a range of 36 miles. It would beep if it detected something. A very valuable tool for solo sailors. I've slept for 6 hour stretches on occasion. I would consider this a must have.

Tags
furuno, Ipad, radar