Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 14:03   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37
Propane Stoves

Hi Everyone,
I have a question for you all. I want to replace me Force 10 3 burner oven/broiler stove (1998) with a new 2 burner oven/broiler. I would greatly appreciate any comments, likes and dislikes with all models. I am not thrilled with Force 10, have read older comments on Dickinson and hope they have improved, (will call them to check) and want to know of your experiences. Dickinson was my first choice, but figured I would ask the experts.....that being you.
I live on a 1998 Crealock 37 in Key West FL, and cruise Florida and the Bahamas, and have lived aboard this boat and a Bristol 38.8 for a total of 20 years.
Thank you all so much.
Alana
Alana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:30   #2

My wife till recently ran the galley dept at fisheries. Supply on Seattle she had to field lots of calls to manufactures. She always had good things to say about Dickenson. Sigmars stuff also looks really nice. For top of the line Luke is supposed to be the best but I have no exp.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 20:33   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick
Re: Propane Stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
My wife till recently ran the galley dept at fisheries. Supply on Seattle she had to field lots of calls to manufactures. She always had good things to say about Dickenson. Sigmars stuff also looks really nice. For top of the line Luke is supposed to be the best but I have no exp.
Luke stopped making stoves. They were and are great stoves...
Old 07-07-2012, 21:03   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

IMHO it all depends how much you are going to use the stove. For years we had diesel stoves of various makes on commercial vessels but with the advent of propane, many commercial users went that way until they found that a propane stove below decks add appreciably to dampness and humidity, not something you would want in the tropics.
I believe Dickinson make diesel stoves, heaters, etc in a variety of sizes. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 21:42   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
IMHO it all depends how much you are going to use the stove. For years we had diesel stoves of various makes on commercial vessels but with the advent of propane, many commercial users went that way until they found that a propane stove below decks add appreciably to dampness and humidity, not something you would want in the tropics.
I believe Dickinson make diesel stoves, heaters, etc in a variety of sizes. Capt Phil
Agree WALLUS also make fantastic (dear) stoves we are looking at the stove oven combo, doesn't raise dampness/no naked flame and one fuel suits all....... Cheers
Old 08-07-2012, 19:20   #6

We have the basic cast iron propane burner really cheap that lives on top of our diesel galley stove. Also a propane BBQ. In mx about the only thing we cooked on was the BBQ so we went all out with a Dickenson sea b q. Really like it so far. The propane burner is nice for coffee water and misc cooking when it's hot. The stove also a Dickenson Adriatic is good for heat as well as cooking.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 19:52   #7

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I had a Force 10 the same vintage as yours on my last boat.
I had issues with the burner caps rusting and bits of the ceramic broiler flaking off. Besides that it worked well. What are your issues ?

For my new boat I went with another Force 10; The issues I had with my old stove seem to have been resolved in the new models.

Cheers,
John.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 12:00   #8

Boat: challenger 32 '

I just bought a force 10 last year .opened the box and the stainless steel grill guard had scratches in it. force 10 sent me a new one but in no better shape they, stick out like a sore thumb.wished i would of went with someone else.the stove and oven work great.terrible craftsmanship. quality control sucks.
Dollydagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:24   #9

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight
I bought a 3 burner TASCO in 2005 (Taunton Stove Company in MA, USA) and it has been great. Looks fine, very easy to clean, no failures. To me it looks much better and heavier duty than the brands I see in the marine stores. I would recommend it without reservation and I am generally a tough critic of anything I have attached to my boat during the lengthy refit we have undertaken. It only has 1 inch fiddles which I am modifying to be an inch or two higher before our next trip.

Todd
Old 23-07-2012, 16:37   #10

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
Love my Luke. At 15 years old or so (guess,) it still works like a champ with no sign of degradation.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 23:55   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

We have a SeaWard stove + oven. It has given us very reliable service for 22 years: living aboard cruising and using it every single day. I believe they are still in business. It is all Stainless outside and enamel baked ferrous metal inside (makes a good Faraday Box underway). Hope this helps out.
Dev0n60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane