Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 13:17   #181

Re: Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

I just had a diver go down to scrub after being in the water for 11 months and it not being scrubbed. Other than the usual scum no hard stuff and very clean. This marks25 months since original application. Very pleased
Cparharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 14:44   #182

Boat: O'Day 34
followup on Coppercoat brand anti fouling

7 months after our initial application we pulled the boat as we were going to be cruising with friends in the Baltic. I was disappointed in that there were a few (<20) 3mm barricades on the hull that didn't come off with the pressure washer. The rest of the hull looked primo. Jim at Coppercoat, after reviewing my pics said that I hadn't sanded the CC enough to expose the Cu, in other words, take all of the gloss off. It sanded much easier than the initial sanding.
Now after about 9 additional months it still great. In addition you get a slick hard bottom that can be pressure cleaned at 4500 psi.
We have so many nutrients in our water from Lake Okeechobee that anything left in the water unprotected over 2 weeks has barnicles.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21   #183

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Hi all, in Christmas 2015 I spent $3800 On Coppercoating my 36 foot steel ketch. I’d sand blasted, 3 coats red oxide apoxy, then 3 coats grey apoxy primer, and then the Coppercoat. I followed the manufacturer’s advice completely. I splashed in February 2016 and until April 2017 she lived on a swing mooring in a known high foul area. In April I took her 52miles up our river to a marina where she lived until today. The change in water killed all the weed and a few barnacles on the prop.

I was very pleased to see zero barnacles anywhere there has been Coppercoat. None. After washing, the hull is in great condition.

I’ve got a couple m8nir problems to fix. The paint didn’t stick near my raw water inlet and in another’s area I have some bubbles which I’ll have to fix. But overall I’m very happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C9E804F-118F-42E5-9A5E-0C63E29BB3DE.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	157095  
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:23   #184

After cleaning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9CF1B1A0-C06A-435F-845E-94660827AEFA.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	157096  
Old 03-10-2017, 21:40   #185
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cparharris View Post
I just had a diver go down to scrub after being in the water for 11 months and it not being scrubbed. Other than the usual scum no hard stuff and very clean. This marks25 months since original application. Very pleased
Meaningless unless we know where the boat is berthed.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 00:26   #186

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
After cleaning
RC, most boats look good after cleaning... so the operative question is how did she look BEFORE cleaning... that's what antifouling is supposed to do: keep it clean between cleanings.

Jim
Old 04-10-2017, 00:53   #187
cruiser

I've heard and seen too many disappointing stories for me to take the expensive chance on Coppercoat.

Horror stories like this one by personal friends: https://sailingbritican.com/coppercoat-antifoul/
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24   #188

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've heard and seen too many disappointing stories for me to take the expensive chance on Coppercoat.

Horror stories like this one by personal friends: https://sailingbritican.com/coppercoat-antifoul/
thats not down to CC now , is it ?

Simon sent videos of our hull to CopperCoat USA and Jim verified that the paint wasn’t sanded enough to expose the Copper.

And this amount ??

The amount we paid for our CopperCoat antifouling was $11,700.

I had it done in Portugal (taking all AF off to the barrier coat , apply CC , sand it etc) for around 3300-3600 euro (have to look it up exactly) the yard owner was actually complaining about CC as it costs him revenue with less boats having to be hauled out annually / bi-annually for AF , just a quick haul for zincs (and a wash while you're at it) but no AF to apply

We're in Almerimar Spain right now , no growth anywhere except for a tiny bit of slime around the waterline
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00   #189
cruiser

Renejk,

Regarding Sailingbritican: Their yard isn't standing behind the Copper Coat they applied, and now the customer has found themselves involved in a costly fight between the CC company and the shipyard.

Most people in the US aren't going to sail over to Portugal to get a better deal on a Coppercoat treatment, and besides... your hull is much smaller than on an Oyster 56, and who knows how much previous paint needed to be removed on either hull prior to treatment. Lots of variables.

Come over to a place like Montenegro if you what to see massive bottom growth.

Look... I don't care how other people choose to spend their money. The CC probably works in some locations, but there are a few people I know personally who've spent the money and been very unhappy with the product. So having researched CC, I'll continue to apply the ablative stuff every two -three years for 400 euros and bottom scrub our boat 2-3 times per season. Personal choice.

The people I know who've applied the CC need to scrub or scrape the bottom of their boat just as often as I do.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:29   #190

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Renejk,

Lots of variables.

Come over to a place like Montenegro if you what to see massive bottom growth.
We'll be going that way as well, and I'll report back in a year and each and every year for as long as we're using it , whether happy or unhappy with it

just wanted to say that our initial (1st year) looks very promising and costs was reasonable and I have a feeling we'll break even in 4 years totalling all costs *if* it continues to do its job as it has been

add: I know an oyster 56 is a bit longer and wider than a Bene 473 , some 20% longer and a bit wider , so I'd expect a 25% increase in price (ie 4000 - 4250 euro) not more than double . And we're 'cruisers' arent we ? I know not everyone goes to Portugal but most are moving around and it pays to shop for lower labour / yard /etc costs
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I watched the Britican video covering the Copper Coat application and noticed that they stated that 2 coats of CC were applied. Copper Coat recommend that 4 coats are applied.
Considering only half the paint needed was applied, they seemed to have been way overcharged by the boat yard.
I was charged £3,500 by a yard in the UK, where the job was done inside a heated workshop, which included slurry blasting, fairing the hull, 3 coats of epoxy primer and 4 coats of copper coat.
I'm still happy with the results after 4 years.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:24   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
RC, most boats look good after cleaning... so the operative question is how did she look BEFORE cleaning... that's what antifouling is supposed to do: keep it clean between cleanings.

Jim
I think you have misunderstood. The first picture is of my hull, straight out of the water, 'before' cleaning. The second picture, is after a karcher.

Though, even after a karcher, this is the best my hull has ever been after cleaning anyway. I usually blow quite a bit of the traditional anti foul off with the karcher.
Old 08-10-2017, 18:28   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I watched the Britican video covering the Copper Coat application and noticed that they stated that 2 coats of CC were applied. Copper Coat recommend that 4 coats are applied.
I can't see how you can only add 2 coats of Coppercoat. It takes three coats just to loose the transparency. A fourth to make sure there is adequate coverage. With 2 coats you will still be able to 'see' the primer.
Old 08-10-2017, 18:35   #194

Here are another two pictures of the front of my boat.

Before cleaning, immediately after coming out of the water after 19 months. This is also in a known high foul area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	157369  
Old 08-10-2017, 18:36   #195

This is 'after cleaning'.
Attached Thumbnails