Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 09:30   #16

Boat: Leopard 44
Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

Haven’t tried them on a boat but have used them for years on a motorcycles and they are great Mc Givers in a pinch off road from holding frames and parts on to limp back home
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:35   #17

Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

I have used one of these for years. I bought mine probably 40 years ago at the boat show">Miami Boat Show for about $10. Make sure you get some monel or stainless wire for it. Also you can Crush cheap soft rubber hoses so don't do it too tight. The better quality hoses can be tightened as much as you want with no problem. Be sure to always take two complete wraps of The Wire. It's great because you're only have to stock one size and actually it is quicker than a hose clamp in an emergency and you don't need to have a screwdriver or a pair of pliers to drop. It is also very good for making a lot of other temporary and emergency repairs.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:37   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I see a lot of negative comments about this product which is not surprising on this forum, but readers should realize that these are mostly ignorant statements from people who probably never even touched one, let alone have experience with them.

These tools are the bees knees. With hose clamps, most problems come with the threaded screw that rusts, strips out the clamp etc. With this tool you get the very best screw and remove it when the clamp is in place.

There’s more: the actual clamp that is left can be of the very best material. I use Monel wire. It’s also very light, which is why it is used in the aircraft industry.

Now the negatives: you need a certain amount of space around the hose to use the clamp. Also, to remove the clamp you have to cut it out and throw it away.

I use this tool with Monel wire whenever access allows it and it is a hose that never needs to be taken off during it’s normal lifespan. I use top quality ABA or AWAB hose clamps otherwise. Make sure to always use the ribbed ones; never the ones with open slots where they always break when they fail.
at the moment I'm away from my computer and US constrained it to using dictation on a phone which really sucks.

However, what he said!

More later when I have access to my computer.
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:37   #19

Why worry about it when factory made S/S hoseclamps are so ubiquitous and so cheap. Hose clamps on, say, seacocks is NOT the place to try to save a few bux.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:37   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

My apologies for the above.

It clearly illustrates my dissatisfaction with vacation.

Which is dictation, not f****** vacation
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:49   #21

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Why worry about it when factory made S/S hoseclamps are so ubiquitous and so cheap. Hose clamps on, say, seacocks is NOT the place to try to save a few bux.

TP
I'm not concerned about saving money on hose clamps.

I'm concerned about not having the correct spare, when not parked in a slip 100 yards from a West Marine.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:51   #22

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Been using one for years. Works great for emergency clamps for a lot of different things, not the least is hose clamps. Worthwhile tool to have in the arsenal.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:54   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 354

I have one of these boughtat the Annapolis Boat Show some years ago. Used it a few times trying to learn how to use it, but it is a lot more difficult than it looks, and very easy to over-tighten. Hose clamps are so easy by comparison it is not even a contest. Don't bother with it.
Old 13-03-2020, 10:51   #24

Jdege:

Indeed. Being caught out is always annoying and sometimes dangerous.

This particular problem I solve by keeping spares of all relevant sizes of hose clamps in my kit. For these sorts of boat parts, it's the easy way to go. It wouldn't work so well for, say, a spare mast :-)!

Another practice that enters into this sort of skipperhood is that in my pre-departure "walk arounds" (just like with aeroplanes), I inspect these sorts of things. I exercise the cocks, squeeze the hoses and feel up the clamps. "A stitch in time..." was MySaintedMother's constant refrain. MyBeloved never tires of beating me over the head with admonitions about situational awareness :-)

All the best

TP
Old 13-03-2020, 11:02   #25

Boat: Swan 57

If you use a good grade of Whipping Twine several turns, that will provide clamping just as good as a hose clamp, but more sophisticated in my view. It will not scar your knuckles, it won't steal any space, fits all sizes, you already have plenty of it on board.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:20   #26

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
If you use a good grade of Whipping Twine several turns, that will provide clamping just as good as a hose clamp, but more sophisticated in my view. It will not scar your knuckles, it won't steal any space, fits all sizes, you already have plenty of it on board.
It'd be my expectation that monel or stainless wire would last longer, in a damp environment, than twine.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:57   #27

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Old 13-03-2020, 11:58   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
It'd be my expectation that monel or stainless wire would last longer, in a damp environment, than twine.
Indeed, plus the Monel wire installed with a tool like Clamptite has the same advantages as there is no pointy end sticking out
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 12:15   #29

No, whipping twine is impervious to water, these days, being made of dacron (terrylene). Though it is NOT impervious to UV light. But UV light rarely penetrates to where your hose clamps live :-)!

In the old days when every sailor worth his salt was well versed in marlinspike seamanship (see Ashley's Book of Knots, e.g.) but whipping twine was made from natural fibres such a hemp (or in yachts, cotton) it could indeed rot because it was not entirely impervious to water or UV light.

Subject to my comment in a previous post regarding situational awareness, whipping twine is the cat's pajamas for all sorts of maintenance tasks aboard.

Regrettably some PO got all "scientific" and fitted TP with a wheel rather than a tiller. I assume he was another one who'd ODed on motorcars. He forgot to fit a rudder indicator. No matter. Whipping twine to the rescue. A turkshead knot laid on the rim of the wheel so it points upward when the rudder is midships does the job. Steering orders are given as (e.g.) "a hand to port!". This even has the advantage that you don't even have to look at it. You can FEEL when the wheel is "a hand to port". Useful at night.

That turkshead has been there for many years now.

TP
Old 13-03-2020, 12:31   #30

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I saw one of these at a boat show 15 years ago and was so impressed that I went home and made one. I have been using it on the boat as well as many other uses ever since. Not worth the price they want, but I sure like the one I made.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel