Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 14:37   #31

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Subject to my comment in a previous post regarding situational awareness, whipping twine is the cat's pajamas for all sorts of maintenance tasks aboard.
Now you've got me thinking of something my grandfather used to say about his father-in-law:

Quote:
Henry is the nicest guy, but he'd fix a fence with baling wire.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 15:05   #32

Re: Has anyone considered using wire for hose clamps, instead of threaded steel?

Yep - us peasants have all kinds of ways of making do. Particularly us seafaring peasants ;-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 15:23   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I see a lot of negative comments about this product which is not surprising on this forum, but readers should realize that these are mostly ignorant statements from people who probably never even touched one, let alone have experience with them.

These tools are the bees knees. With hose clamps, most problems come with the threaded screw that rusts, strips out the clamp etc. With this tool you get the very best screw and remove it when the clamp is in place.

There’s more: the actual clamp that is left can be of the very best material. I use Monel wire. It’s also very light, which is why it is used in the aircraft industry.

Now the negatives: you need a certain amount of space around the hose to use the clamp. Also, to remove the clamp you have to cut it out and throw it away.

I use this tool with Monel wire whenever access allows it and it is a hose that never needs to be taken off during it’s normal lifespan. I use top quality ABA or AWAB hose clamps otherwise. Make sure to always use the ribbed ones; never the ones with open slots where they always break when they fail.

It arrogant to label anyone who disagrees with you as ignorant

Please explain to cruiser forum readers the difference between constant diameter hose clamps and constant tension hose clamps ....and their application
It makes a big difference

A piece of wire is a constant diameter clamp
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 15:49   #34

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm not concerned about saving money on hose clamps.

I'm concerned about not having the correct spare, when not parked in a slip 100 yards from a West Marine.
One of the best reasons to have a ClampTite & a spool of SS or Monel wire in your tool box! They really do make a fine hose clamp of essentially any size. Whether you're comfortable with them as a long term solution or not, they'll save the day when a more conventional hose clamp isn't on hand.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 16:08   #35

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
If the $100 tool was the only option, I think is give it a pass, but there are some simpler DIY approaches:

https://youtu.be/b21JWw3U4TY
That was a great video showing $1000s of equipment to make a took that costs $100. I wish I had that guy's shop.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 18:20   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
It arrogant to label anyone who disagrees with you as ignorant

Please explain to cruiser forum readers the difference between constant diameter hose clamps and constant tension hose clamps ....and their application
It makes a big difference

A piece of wire is a constant diameter clamp
First of all, I did not call anybody ignorant.

Tell me about how many years you have used the different clamps discussed? How your direct experience with these over the years have lead you to your opinion?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 20:44   #37

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
That was a great video showing $1000s of equipment to make a took that costs $100. I wish I had that guy's shop.
I'm impressed with (and jealous of) his imagination, his fabrication skills and his shop. But I don't have the room on the boat for all those cool tools!

I paid $68.50 at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show for my ClampTite tool and that included 100' of SS wire. If memory serves, I could have gotten it for $20 less if I hadn't opted for the stainless steel model. It's been worth every penny!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 20:57   #38

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

I had to replace both my mufflers - with hose on port side fine, so just managed to lift hose far enough upwards to be able to slide end of muffler flange into hose, then push back down and secure.

Starboard side - the mechanic that ripped me off for 15k, cut the hose to get the muffler out so I needed to replace with small length of hose, which with joiner, made it difficult to get height, then lift hose to slide muffler intake flange into.

Had to keep shortening hose which, even with 3 clamps, gave concern that when hot - plus with water pressure - it may slide up the inlet flange and separate the joiner.

Thinking that the water volume in pipe would never touch the top of muffler intake, I then screwed in stainless steel screws, through the rubber hose on the flange, behind the clamps, to stop any possible sliding along the flange.

I was told later, that this was a no no - but when I asked why - could only be told that tried and true old MAriner's term - 'well we just don't do it that way!'

no reason ---

Maybe some sensible person can come up with a feasible suggestion as to a yay or nay ---

GBmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 21:14   #39

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:

These tools are the bees knees. With hose clamps, most problems come with the threaded screw that rusts, strips out the clamp etc. With this tool you get the very best screw and remove it when the clamp is in place.

There’s more: the actual clamp that is left can be of the very best material. I use Monel wire. It’s also very light, which is why it is used in the aircraft industry.

Now the negatives: you need a certain amount of space around the hose to use the clamp. Also, to remove the clamp you have to cut it out and throw it away.

I use this tool with Monel wire whenever access allows it and it is a hose that never needs to be taken off during it’s normal lifespan. I use top quality ABA or AWAB hose clamps otherwise. Make sure to always use the ribbed ones; never the ones with open slots where they always break when they fail.
What he said.

I have had a couple of the Clamptite filter through my life.

Now I use this. It minimizes the negative the space issue the Jedi talks about. Same principal, but easier to handle IMO. This is now my favored tool over the Clamptite.

Haywire Klamper: Hose Clamps, Emergency Repairs, Bind Any Two Objects Together!

Wire clamps were the only ones before band/screw type emerged. The positive of wire is what one poster saw as the negative. Wire creates a very effective pinch point, where bands spread the load out. Each has it pos/neg.

T-bolt clamps over screw clamps every chance I get. If I must use a screw clamp, it is the ribbed one Jedi also mentions. Not the vulnerable slotted ones for anything that I want to count on.

I didn't know that Knipex made a hose clamp plier. Must to have now. Big fan of Knipex here.
Old 14-03-2020, 03:53   #40

Quote:
First of all, I did not call anybody ignorant.

Tell me about how many years you have used the different clamps discussed? How your direct experience with these over the years have lead you to your opinion?
I have worked in this marine industry for 45 years

Both in europe and North America

I can guarantee that what I tell you is fact

When servicing equipment you will be faced with many distinct hose clamp types

These types were chosen by the engineer who designed the equipment and have specific characteristics

a Wire hose clamp is a primitive fitting only suitable for emergency service
Old 14-03-2020, 04:06   #41

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:

These types were chosen by the engineer who designed the equipment and have specific characteristics

So with that, I should discount my 45 years as an engineer?

I stand by my statement. Wire offers a superior pinch point seal, but is not the one perfect hose clamp.

Spoke with the owner of the Haywire company. He may have been busy marketing to me, but he did say that he has repeatedly sold them to the Coast Guard. I dunno.
Old 14-03-2020, 04:29   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Emergency use is more than sufficient reason to have these gizmos on board. I had a sanitary hose that I could not make fit right with hose clamps, Chris gizmo did the job first try, no leak, did not harm the hose. Paid for itself right there.

I don’t use it often but do use it often enough. Made my own gaff, fastened the hook to the pole with this gizmo. Some other odd jobs as well.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 07:20   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

What you are trying not to admit to is that you never even touched the tool and never had these clamps in use. This disqualifies you from making authoritive statements about these no matter how many years you worked in the marine industry.

I am not a mechanical engineer and I never worked in the marine industry, yet I have 45 years experience in using hose clamps with 17 years of those using the wire clamps. That experience shows that I have had zero failures on wire clamps and dozens of failures on the screw-band types.
Old 14-03-2020, 08:09   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That tool does reduce the space required indeed, good find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
What he said.

I have had a couple of the Clamptite filter through my life.

Now I use this. It minimizes the negative the space issue the Jedi talks about. Same principal, but easier to handle IMO. This is now my favored tool over the Clamptite.

Haywire Klamper: Hose Clamps, Emergency Repairs, Bind Any Two Objects Together!

Wire clamps were the only ones before band/screw type emerged. The positive of wire is what one poster saw as the negative. Wire creates a very effective pinch point, where bands spread the load out. Each has it pos/neg.

T-bolt clamps over screw clamps every chance I get. If I must use a screw clamp, it is the ribbed one Jedi also mentions. Not the vulnerable slotted ones for anything that I want to count on.

I didn't know that Knipex made a hose clamp plier. Must to have now. Big fan of Knipex here.
Old 14-03-2020, 10:47   #45

Quote:
What you are trying not to admit to is that you never even touched the tool and never had these clamps in use. This disqualifies you from making authoritive statements about these no matter how many years you worked in the marine industry.

I am not a mechanical engineer and I never worked in the marine industry, yet I have 45 years experience in using hose clamps with 17 years of those using the wire clamps. That experience shows that I have had zero failures on wire clamps and dozens of failures on the screw-band types.

Gee...you have 45 years of experience using hose clamps , have never read the hose clamp torque table and application guide , yet feel qualified to recommend a technique that is completely unsuitable

I suggest you start here

Familiarize yourself with hose clamp design ...constant diameter or constant tension ... and their correct application

https://www.normaamericasds.com/blogs/proper-torque-specifications-worm-drive-hose-clamps-and-t-bolt-hose-clamps

Tags
steel