Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 16:11   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30U
C Cushions?

Has anyone had any recent dealings with C Cushions in Rockport Tx? I have no problems with their product but the service seems a little slack in terms of email / phone response. There seems to be no one else producing vinyl coated closed cell cushions and I would love to get some but I’m worried about getting involved in a long distance purchase with an unknown entity.
The only review I could find was not encouraging.

Thanks
Oldshipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 20:30   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: C Cushions?

I think most of their business is making those cushions for medical equipment, FWIW.

There is or was Bottom Siders.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 20:48   #3

I’m afraid that's a “was”.
Old 30-07-2019, 15:05   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Hmmm, I know Bill - the owner - having both been involved in the boating and sailboat racing community for years. His business is in Rockport, Texas, which some of you might remember was the landfall for Hurricane Harvey a little less than two years ago. I know that C Cushions was back in business and even had a booth at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show last year - I saw Bill there. I have some of his cushions, and have friends that do the same, and all are satisfied with the construction and longevity. I emailed him a link to the thread and - as I suspected - he's not a forum member. But he replied accordingly:

"We are still actively making cockpit cushions for boats. We have had some struggles during recovery from Hurricane Harvey and are understaffed and can be slow to respond.. We are producing cushions, about half the space from pre Harvey and all new staff. The crew is picking up on the process."

They make a great product. It saddens me to read their response has been slow, but seeing the devastation that Rockport experienced - and a lot of rebuilding still going on - I should have expected it. Hopefully Bill and his family business "C Cushions" will be fully back up to speed soon.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 15:24   #5

Thanks for that response. It explains a lot and even here in Canada we know how hard Rockport took it from Harvey. I just failed to connect the name to the event.
As it happens Bill has got back to me so things are getting clearer. I meant no bad faith, it’s just hard to know what’s going on when the only contact you have is online.
Thanks again and thank you Bill for the response.
Old 31-07-2019, 18:14   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

[emoji106]
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Yes I see this is an older thread but thought I would revive it with a question or two.

First, called C Cushions to ask about design for my boat. Bill answered the phone right away and promptly sent an email to answer to my questions.

So I'm trying to decide between the C Cushion and cushions made of Dry Fast Foam covered with fabric like Sunbrella. From reading previous threads on the subject I see some pros and cons for both.

C-Cushions. Durable. Waterproof. Can leave in the cockpit. Vinyl surface might be a bit sweaty and uncomfortable to sit on in shorts. Closed cell foam might be a bit firm for perfect comfort.

DryFast Foam cushions. Fabric more comfortable to sit on. Foam thicker and softer so more comfortable. Are fast drying but not waterproof so need to bring them inside when it rains or sit on wet cushions until they dry.

I like the convenience and ease of use of the C Cushions but not sure if they will be too firm and how much I'll like sitting on vinyl.

DryFast foam cushions I'm pretty sure would be more comfortable but having to haul them below in the rain or heavy weather would be a pain and don't really have an out of the way spot to store them.

Comments?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:52   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have no direct experience with either Skip, but I do have a set made by Bottomsiders, which I believe are very similar to C Cushion. I've absolutely loved the cushions. They're firm, but I find them very comfortable. And I very much appreciate not having to worry about them getting wet.

I've heard Bottomsider has gone out of business, which is very unfortunate. When I replace these cushions I will definitely look for something similar. C Cushions sounds like the ticket.
Old 10-11-2020, 14:55   #9

As it turned out, the shipping to Canada was a real deal breaker so I ended up making my own from closed cell foam sprayed with Plastidip. They are very similar to C-Cushions at a fraction of the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5AF7C938-13CD-4C84-B583-026C017C709A.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	226721  
Old 10-11-2020, 14:59   #10

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I like the blue details, well done!
Old 10-11-2020, 15:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldshipwright View Post
As it turned out, the shipping to Canada was a real deal breaker so I ended up making my own from closed cell foam sprayed with Plastidip. They are very similar to C-Cushions at a fraction of the price.

Interesting indeed... What Plastidip product did you use? And how durable is it? Can you walk on the cushions without tearing the coating or damaging it?
Old 10-11-2020, 15:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have no direct experience with either Skip, but I do have a set made by Bottomsiders, which I believe are very similar to C Cushion. I've absolutely loved the cushions. They're firm, but I find them very comfortable. And I very much appreciate not having to worry about them getting wet.

I've heard Bottomsider has gone out of business, which is very unfortunate. When I replace these cushions I will definitely look for something similar. C Cushions sounds like the ticket.
Thanks Mike,

The waterproof, easy care and use factor is a major selling point for me.

Do you know the approximate thickness of of the Bottom iSders? C Cushions list 1.5" thickness. If the Bottom Siders are similar then then the C Cushions might be soft enough.

Yes I have heard that Bottom Siders is history.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 15:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thanks Mike,

The waterproof, easy care and use factor is a major selling point for me.

Do you know the approximate thickness of of the Bottom iSders? C Cushions list 1.5" thickness. If the Bottom Siders are similar then then the C Cushions might be soft enough.

Yes I have heard that Bottom Siders is history.
I'm away from the boat so can't be certain Skip, but 1.5" sounds about right. They could be 2", but certainly somewhere near there for sure.

I'd say my cushions are firm, but still pliable. Very comfortable on the old bottom.
Old 13-02-2023, 16:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldshipwright View Post
Hello Oldshipwright
Please give me more info on what Closed cell foam you used and how you manufactured them. I would like to do the same as they look great. Cheers Ray
Ray Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 17:15   #15

I used 1 1/2” EVA Minicel sheet closed cell foam. I cut it with my bandsaw and rounded the corners (very carefully) with my router in a table setup.
Some caveats….
They ship the foam rolled up and it takes a while to flatten out again.
The foam dents easily and does not return prior to Plastidip.
…after that it is “bulletproof”.
Be careful to apply the Plastidip evenly to both sides as it shrinks when it cures. I sprayed a coat on one side and a few minutes later when it was dry I sprayed the other side. I coated until I felt it was thick enough. My boat used about three gallons of full strength Plastidip UV cut with an equal amount of VM&P naptha. I highly recommend trying it out on a test piece.
This isn’t cheap if it doesn’t work out so be prepared to plan well and be sure before you dive in.
Here is an album of pix I shot when I did mine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Wrq8ZauzWY9K4bv9

Tags
cushions