Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2023, 17:44   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: C Cushions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldshipwright View Post
I used 1 1/2” EVA Minicel sheet closed cell foam. I cut it with my bandsaw and rounded the corners (very carefully) with my router in a table setup.
Some caveats….
They ship the foam rolled up and it takes a while to flatten out again.
The foam dents easily and does not return prior to Plastidip.
…after that it is “bulletproof”.
Be careful to apply the Plastidip evenly to both sides as it shrinks when it cures. I sprayed a coat on one side and a few minutes later when it was dry I sprayed the other side. I coated until I felt it was thick enough. My boat used about three gallons of full strength Plastidip UV cut with an equal amount of VM&P naptha. I highly recommend trying it out on a test piece.
This isn’t cheap if it doesn’t work out so be prepared to plan well and be sure before you dive in.
Here is an album of pix I shot when I did mine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Wrq8ZauzWY9K4bv9
Looks super. Any idea of life span?
Old 13-02-2023, 21:16   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30U

They are over three years old now and still functionally as good as they ever were. Aesthetically they have suffered a bit due to my recoating them to change the colour without cleaning them well enough. There are a few spots where the new colour is peeling.
The other thing which doesn’t bother the functionality at all is that there are indentations on the bottoms of the cushions over my hatches. They were made by the protruding hinges.
They are on the bottoms and I never turn them over so no harm done.
As far as taking abuse, once the Plastidip was on the somewhat fragile foam became amazingly tough.
Oldshipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 16:46   #18

Thanks so much!
Any idea of the density of the foam you used? Also I assume the pin strips/labels were done also using Plastidip at the end?
Ray Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 17:10   #19

It was called Minicel T200.
I sprayed the cushions with a Wagner sprayer like this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and masked and sprayed the trim with a rattle can (of Plastidip).
Old 26-06-2023, 08:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldshipwright View Post
I used 1 1/2” EVA Minicel sheet closed cell foam. I cut it with my bandsaw and rounded the corners (very carefully) with my router in a table setup.
Some caveats….
They ship the foam rolled up and it takes a while to flatten out again.
The foam dents easily and does not return prior to Plastidip.
…after that it is “bulletproof”.
Be careful to apply the Plastidip evenly to both sides as it shrinks when it cures. I sprayed a coat on one side and a few minutes later when it was dry I sprayed the other side. I coated until I felt it was thick enough. My boat used about three gallons of full strength Plastidip UV cut with an equal amount of VM&P naptha. I highly recommend trying it out on a test piece.
This isn’t cheap if it doesn’t work out so be prepared to plan well and be sure before you dive in.
Here is an album of pix I shot when I did mine.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Wrq8ZauzWY9K4bv9
OldShipWright -

First, thank you so much for this and the pictures. I have been trying to buy C Cushions for the past couple of years with difficulty in getting them to actually produce them (and a change in income has stoked the DIY). After reading this I am pretty tempted to just order all this and take a swing myself. Couple of questions:

1. What did you use to glue the stack for the seat hump?
2. Did you just trace your previous cushions or your cockpit for the cutting? Any tips on what to use for cutting?
3. Did you round the edges? If yes anything you would suggest to do that uniformly?
4. Having not used plastidip - just want to confirm I use the right stuff. Is this what you used - https://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Dip-Gu.../dp/B08WJG1MDV
5. Finally, my old cushions are the exact type C Cushions would have made but have started to crack. Wondering if I could just coat the cracks with plasti dip. Not sure how thick it is but curious if you have thoughts on that.

Sorry for the questions but you really inspired me here.
jpeac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 11:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeac2 View Post
OldShipWright -

First, thank you so much for this and the pictures. I have been trying to buy C Cushions for the past couple of years with difficulty in getting them to actually produce them (and a change in income has stoked the DIY). After reading this I am pretty tempted to just order all this and take a swing myself. Couple of questions:

1. What did you use to glue the stack for the seat hump?
2. Did you just trace your previous cushions or your cockpit for the cutting? Any tips on what to use for cutting?
3. Did you round the edges? If yes anything you would suggest to do that uniformly?
4. Having not used plastidip - just want to confirm I use the right stuff. Is this what you used - https://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Dip-Gu.../dp/B08WJG1MDV
5. Finally, my old cushions are the exact type C Cushions would have made but have started to crack. Wondering if I could just coat the cracks with plasti dip. Not sure how thick it is but curious if you have thoughts on that.

Sorry for the questions but you really inspired me here.
Thanks!
First your questions…

1) I used contact cement to glue the layers.
2) I made paper patterns in my cockpit.
3) I rounded the edges with a router in a table. It’s tricky with soft material like the foam and it leaves a bit of roughness but it did work.
4) Yes, the UV is what I used, thinned to spray by around 50% (1:1)
5) I think there is every chance that would work. I would definitely give it a try first if the foam is intact.

Now the disclaimer. I’m still using the cushions and they are fine although not as pretty as when new. The good news is that you can repair whatever damage occurs to the coating and renew them. Simply applying xylene with a brush will re-dissolve the Plastidip. Adding another coat.

There are no guarantees. This is an experimental undertaking. I’m happy with mine and still get compliments but not everyone will necessarily have the same results.

Good luck! I hope it works for you.

Tags
cushions