Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26   #1

Best marine toilet

cant find the review
rjash6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: best marine toilet

For a manual pumpout the Raritan PHII is widely considered the best. When I bought my used boat twelve years ago it had its original 20+ year old PHII, still working. The Admiral wanted a new head so I replaced it with a new PHII. It's now 12 years old and the only piece I ever replaced was the pump seal.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:33   #3

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Blakes baby (cost more than many entire boats!)

http://www.marinechandlery.com/baby-blake-marine-toilet
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:37   #4

Thanks; I am fed up with replacing valves and seals on my Jabsco, Also getting rip off prices for replacement kits and parts
rjash6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:34   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

A Groco EB,-- if you can find one and rebuild it. All bronze, household size seat.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54   #6

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

We have had a Vacu-flush model 1008 on our Trimaran for 8 years and other than light maintenance it has worked perfectly. It works and has been more reliable than other system I have had.
Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:36   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Incinolet.

Followed by Lavac.

Or the ultimate in reliability, the cedar bucket.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:47   #8

Manual: PHII Raritan hands down the very best at a reasonable price compared to rebuilds and replacement of all of the old "others"

Electric: Raritan makes a good one, NOT the one that adds a pump to the PHII handle, SeaEra?

Lavac is crafty and works well.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:15   #9

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjash6666 View Post
Thanks; I am fed up with replacing valves and seals on my Jabsco, Also getting rip off prices for replacement kits and parts
Those $100 heads are pretty much throwaway. When they go bad just throw them away and put in a new one. New price is not much more than a rebuild kit. Of course, for real economy and no maintenance the best is a five gallon bucket with a toilet seat fitted over it. I used that for years. Never had a problem I couldn't fix for five bucks or less.

The Lavac is also well loved by it's owners. It's simple, maybe one step above a bucket. Only spares needed are rubber seals. And parts for your diaphragm pump.

Still can't imagine owning one of those composting toilets. Although it appears to be simple it's actually a pain because you have to pee in a cup and provide peat moss for the composter, among other things. Try buying peat moss in some remote anchorage.

I used a Vacuflush on a boat I was delivering and really liked it. But it's complex. Complex doesn't belong on my cruising boat. Having said that, my first choice, Raritan PHII, does have a lot of "parts". But it's been so reliable I prefer it and recommend it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:45   #10

What are we really talking about here? $100.00 - $150.00 (US) every five years? Whether its the rebuild kit or an entire unit? I pay more in the used/filtered beer I push through the system in a month.

You're chasing pennies in a world where you spend thousands. It's not worth it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 13:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have power the Incinolet is the way to go. I've never had to buy parts... but you do buy paper liners. You can use it anywhere, no "No Discharge" zones. I can run it with my inverter if no generator is running.
No messing with failed toilets full of stuff, etc. No sewage smell. No thru the hull fittings. Not bothered by too much paper or female products. No holding tank. No worrying about pump out stations. No overflowing. Just some grey ash when you choose to dump it. All stainless steel construction.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 10:18   #12

Boat: Creekmore 34

Still can't imagine owning one of those composting toilets. Although it appears to be simple it's actually a pain because you have to pee in a cup and provide peat moss for the composter, among other things. Try buying peat moss in some remote anchorage.

We carry a year's worth of coco coir on our 34-footer (it's smaller than a 20-gallon holding tank) and have never had a problem getting it. When we are in the Caribbean longer than a year, we always seem to end up in a US territory where Amazon is easy to get delivered. And we've also made our own coco coir type mixture when necessary (and for fun!). It just takes a machete and some time. Coconut palms live everywhere I'd ever want to live.
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:06   #13

Composter is the easiest.
- Pretty much nothing that can clog or break.
- A month or more between solids disposal and never a need to find a pump out station.

No idea where the idea, you must pee in a cup came from. I'm familiar with the 3 primary brands and none require you to pee in a cup.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:25   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
best marine toilet

I looked at the Lavac but after looking at the installation instructions I couldn't figure a way to install it my head. There were problems in positioning.

If I replace, I plan on looking at Raritan's Elegance and using fresh water flush. I've got a 100 gal water tank that I only use for long trips.

Otherwise the PHII has not given me much trouble. The hoses are more of PITA.

Whatever you like, I'd suggest looking at the installation specs before laying out good money.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The most reliable pump head is the Skipper 2...no longer made by Wilcox and Crittenden. You can find rebuilt ones for around 1000 bucks. I have had one on a research boat for 25 years and NEVER has it clogged, even when used by thousands of newbies to boats over the years.

The only plastic is the toilet seat itself. Most of the rest is silicon bronze and porcelin...bullet proof in my opinion.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, oil