Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 21:59   #76

Re: Best hard bottom paint to be cleaned as needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Have not read all the suggestions but I switched to commercial ship bottom paint by Jotun so that I can dive and clean for years without wearing out the paint

Rated for 90 months , I'm happy with 5 years

Disclaimer
Jotun antifouling products are intended for professional use only and have been specially formulated with increased levels of copper oxide as well as strong biocides for use on vessels and structures operating for long periods in testing conditions where extended service intervals are required.*
The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) deem them 'For professional use only'. This means we can only sell Jotun antifouling products to customers who confirm at the point of ordering that they will be applied in accordance with the appropriate HSE regulations.*

https://www.jotun.com/Datasheets/Dow...0__Euk__GB.pdf
Interesting. Do you have any formulation data to share?
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 23:33   #77
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Data sheet was attached
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:18   #78

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

We had the Pettit Trinidad Pro applied in January after soda blasting and three coats of epoxy barrier paint. So far it is working great in St. Pete, Florida where there is an abundance of sea life. No slime, no barnacles. Still get the bottom cleaned monthly, our diver says the bottom is very clean.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Data sheet was attached

I read application data but nothing about increased levels copper oxide or biocides in the formulary.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:48   #80
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
I read application data but nothing about increased levels copper oxide or biocides in the formulary.
You need to look at the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the information you want:

Active substances: dicopper oxide (CAS 1317-39-1) 32.1 % w/w, zineb
(CAS 12122-67-7) 4.4 % w/w, copper pyrithione (CAS 14915-37-8) 1.4 % w/w.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 18:00   #81

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
The big question, what is the shelf life? A year? Two, Three?
You can find shelf life on the Technical Data Sheets.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 18:06   #82
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Shelf life is normally about 2 years at 23°C but in the tropics you should order a couple of months before use
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:49   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Coppercoat, without a doubt. Ours has been on since 2012, and still going strong. Just make sure its applied properly - lots of thin coats, ALL wet on tacky.
The correct range of ambient temperature and humidity are also key factors for a successful application. The manufacturer's stipulations are all there for good reasons.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:08   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I can assure you that in the almost three decades I have spent professionally maintaining anti fouling coatings of all types and flavors, Coppercoat ranks right up there with the least effective of them. But if you feel that it works for you- hey, knock yourself out. Again, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.
Perhaps it's your locality that's the problem?

There are many, many accounts of Coppercoat working extremely well for a decade or more. Your own experiences with it notwithstanding. Those happy customers (many of them here on this forum) can't all be lying.

I am, however, also aware that in certain areas, Copperboat has a bad reputation. Port Phillip Bay, here in Melbourne, is one such. Maybe San Francisco Bay, where you are, is another? Interestingly enough, both are large but enclosed bays with substantial fresh water inflow.. which is food for thought.

Who knows? Perhaps there is something about the water quality or chemical balance, or the pH of the water in these locales that's the real culprit behind the failures? Or maybe it's due to the incompetence (perhaps even intentional?) of the local contractors who do most of the Coppercoat jobs in the area? It is, after all, well known that the conditions for a successful application are considerably more stringent than for other anti-fouling preparations.

There are several accounts available online of people who were very unhappy with the results of a Coppercoat application, who subsequently found that strict personal supervision of the re-application process resulted in an application that performed as advertised. So perhaps the real lesson here is not to trust so-called "professionals" to do the job correctly.

After all, at the end of the day, the word 'professional' doesn't mean "I'm skilled and knowledgeable about my trade". All it actually means is "I get paid to do this stuff". Knowledge and ability may, or may not, be part of the package. To which I would add that, by and large, in 45+ years of my own experience, the more employees a company has, the less likely it is to do quality work. The small one or two man operations depend on their reputation to keep food on their table. The big companies know that there will always be plenty more suckers coming along.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:28   #85

copper coat is the way to go
captbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:09   #86

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Perhaps it's your locality that's the problem?

There are many, many accounts of Coppercoat working extremely well for a decade or more. Your own experiences with it notwithstanding. Those happy customers (many of them here on this forum) can't all be lying.

I am, however, also aware that in certain areas, Copperboat has a bad reputation. Port Phillip Bay, here in Melbourne, is one such. Maybe San Francisco Bay, where you are, is another? Interestingly enough, both are large but enclosed bays with substantial fresh water inflow.. which is food for thought.

Who knows? Perhaps there is something about the water quality or chemical balance, or the pH of the water in these locales that's the real culprit behind the failures? Or maybe it's due to the incompetence (perhaps even intentional?) of the local contractors who do most of the Coppercoat jobs in the area? It is, after all, well known that the conditions for a successful application are considerably more stringent than for other anti-fouling preparations.

There are several accounts available online of people who were very unhappy with the results of a Coppercoat application, who subsequently found that strict personal supervision of the re-application process resulted in an application that performed as advertised. So perhaps the real lesson here is not to trust so-called "professionals" to do the job correctly.

After all, at the end of the day, the word 'professional' doesn't mean "I'm skilled and knowledgeable about my trade". All it actually means is "I get paid to do this stuff". Knowledge and ability may, or may not, be part of the package. To which I would add that, by and large, in 45+ years of my own experience, the more employees a company has, the less likely it is to do quality work. The small one or two man operations depend on their reputation to keep food on their table. The big companies know that there will always be plenty more suckers coming along.
I 100% agree JAFO, the correct application is as important as the selected product, especially with epoxy. Locally there are many yards that will not let you apply bottom paint, I do not use those yards. I treat all the yard workers with respect, and assume nothing of them, I have painted many many surfaces, I enjoy the process. I also have many little “tricks” in making paint lay flat and that matter to me.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 21:38   #87

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

So the question has occurred to me...What paint does the US Navy use on there craft and how is it cleaned?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 21:58   #88

Quote:

Thanks, maybe the OP should be so advised. In any case Jotun doesn't seem fancy.
Old 13-09-2021, 00:49   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So the question has occurred to me...What paint does the US Navy use on there craft and how is it cleaned?

For the most part, the US Navy uses the same off-the-shelf anti fouling products available to you and me.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:38   #90

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:

Fstbttms, given this data, how do you think this paint compares to more expensive bottom paints like Micron? Do the more expensive "yacht" paints have more biocide in them or better formulations?

I'm asking because the Hempel paint I normally use doesn't seem to be available anymore and I'm thinking of using Jotun, which is about half the price of Micron in Brazil. I was very happy with the commercial hard paint made by Hempel and am looking for something similar that can stand up to cleaning with a scouring pad without wearing off.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint