Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 20:20   #61

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Antifouling in florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
TriButyl tin paints are banned in most seafaring nations and their use is reprehensible.
I do not condone the use of TBT paint where it is banned. I understand it is not banned in the BVI; I would welcome a correction if I got that wrong.

I understand that in the place where you live there are good alternatives to TBT. I look forward to the day when there is a TBT-free antifouling system that works in the BVI. My definition of "works" may be different than yours of course.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:42   #62

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I do not condone the use of TBT paint where it is banned. I understand it is not banned in the BVI; I would welcome a correction if I got that wrong.

I understand that in the place where you live there are good alternatives to TBT. I look forward to the day when there is a TBT-free antifouling system that works in the BVI. My definition of "works" may be different than yours of course.
That is BS. Some little third world oversea territory should not be our example.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:54   #63
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:

I'm quite sure it works very well. But the fact remains that tBt is one of the most toxic poisons ever intentionality introduced into the marine environment. That there are still some few nations have not ratified the IMO ban does not lessen the fact that putting it on your boat is a dick move.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:57   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That is BS. Some little third world oversea territory should not be our example.
What is your point? Are you aware of a TBT-free paint that works well in the BVI, or the Lesser Antilles for that matter? I am not interested in stuff that needs to be scrubbed so frequently that you end up piling up paint in the bottom below the boat.
Old 25-08-2015, 21:02   #65
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What is your point? Are you aware of a TBT-free paint that works well in the BVI, or the Lesser Antilles for that matter? I am not interested in stuff that needs to be scrubbed so frequently that you end up piling up paint in the bottom below the boat.
Whatever is convenient for you, regardless of its effect on the environment?
Old 25-08-2015, 21:21   #66

Quote:
I'm quite sure it works very well. But the fact remains that tBt is one of the most toxic poisons ever intentionality introduced into the marine environment.
I do agree that TBT is nasty stuff; I am just educated enough to also be aware of the undesirable aspects of the alternatives that I know.

Mate, I only posted in this thread when I read your post that I felt was misleading ("In high-fouling waters, that is an unrealistic expectation, regardless of which anti fouling paint you use.").

Quote:
That there are still some few nations have not ratified the IMO ban does not lessen the fact that putting it on your boat is a dick move.
I don´t think antifouling is enough of a reason to start a war or to be rude. Peace
Old 25-08-2015, 21:26   #67
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don´t think antifouling is enough of a reason to start a war or to be rude.
We differ on this then. It's my planet too and even though you know there are alternatives, you intentionally use the most poisonous anti fouling paint available. Do you also pour used motor oil down the storm drain or toss your cigarette butts on the ground?
Old 26-08-2015, 00:30   #68

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Antifouling in Florida

All elements form the planet shall return to her, albeit slightly used and abused. The planet will still be here when we are gone. The final analysis can only be made that more money changing hands, more often creates more taxable events, be it cleaning bottoms or legislation to shutdown one business as, "I and my friends have invested in another."

People have died from too much water intake, in too short a period. A little sand for exfoliation is good, a dump truck load is lethal.

Just my two cents, and worth what you paid for it.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 02:58   #69

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Im out of here its getting totally ridiculous! Antifoul with whatever you want, pay whatever you want and repeat it all as soon as you want!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 03:09   #70

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Whatever is convenient for you, regardless of its effect on the environment?
Just curious if you have an answer for this question. Alot of people say nothing else is effective so Im just wanting to know. Also doesnt the US still allow tbt on anything over 100ft?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 03:59   #71

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Well, looks like Curious will be your master.
All the best and happy antifouling.
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 06:27   #72

What are opinios about International Micron Extra?

Micron Extra Antifouling Boat Paint | International
ipsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 07:06   #73
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Just curious if you have an answer for this question. Alot of people say nothing else is effective so Im just wanting to know. Also doesnt the US still allow tbt on anything over 100ft?
There is a worldwide ban on tributyl tin paint. No tin on anything, regardless of size. It is not to be used, it is not to be applied and vessels wearing it are not allowed in. The U.S. included.
Old 26-08-2015, 09:04   #74

Quote:
There is a worldwide ban on tributyl tin paint. No tin on anything, regardless of size. It is not to be used, it is not to be applied and vessels wearing it are not allowed in. The U.S. included.
I know that TBT is nasty stuff and its application is banned in the US and US boats and in many other countries and their boats but the ban is not "worldwide".
Old 26-08-2015, 09:13   #75
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I know that TBT is nasty stuff and its application is banned in the US and US boats and in many other countries and their boats but the ban is not "worldwide".
You're parsing words. The ban is global, however certain a**hole governments have chosen not to become signatories to the treaty.

"...(the) IMO adopted an Assembly resolution that called on the MEPC to develop an instrument, legally binding throughout the world, to address the harmful effects of anti-fouling systems used on ships. The resolution called for a global prohibition on the application of organotin compounds which act as biocides in anti-fouling systems on ships by 1 January 2003, and a complete prohibition by 1 January 2008.

In October 2001, IMO adopted a new International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships, which will prohibit the use of harmful organotins in anti- fouling paints used on ships and will establish a mechanism to prevent the potential future use of other harmful substances in anti-fouling systems."

http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Enviro...OULING2003.pdf

Tags
anti-fouling, florida