Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2024, 19:42   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: The Importance of ‘Good’ Sleep

It is annoying that a "link" can't be added on an "Edit"

This note about foreign vessels is contained in the first link that I previously posted.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fatigue.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	287389
Old 07-03-2024, 20:05   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The Marine Personnel Regs don't apply to pleasure vessels in Canada.

Perhaps not. Do you have a reference for that?
Would you be breaking Rule 5 (constant lookout) if fatigue,or anything else,causes failure of constant lookout?
Cheers/Len
Old 07-03-2024, 23:37   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

When we have crew join us that can do independent watches then we go with a 2 or 3 hour watch system for the dark hours such that each person only wakes up once.

As a couple, we find 5 hour watches work well for us and again ensure we only have to wake up once per night. My wife enjoys late evenings so is 20:00-01:00 and I love sunrise so I do 01:00-06:00. If I’m feeling good I continue and don’t wake my wife at 06:00. We have dinner before local sunset, usually 18:00, then she has a catnap before her shift starts and I tidy up and prepare the boat for the night. Handovers take about 15 minutes at the start of each watch to ensure the new watch keeper is fully situationally aware.

However, we have only done passages in the tropics, sub tropics and temperate zones (down to 40*S). As we move on to colder ocean passages in the future I expect we may need to have shorter watches.

Daylight hours we have no watch system but always agree and share who is the responsible one for the next few hours.

We complete passages more rested than we start them.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 06:28   #19

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Perhaps not. Do you have a reference for that?
Would you be breaking Rule 5 (constant lookout) if fatigue,or anything else,causes failure of constant lookout?
Cheers/Len
The Marine Personnel Regs:
Quote:
Application
2 In these Regulations,

(a) Part 1 applies to applicants for a certificate of competency or an endorsement; and

(b) Part 2 applies in respect of Canadian vessels, other than pleasure craft, everywhere and in respect of foreign vessels in Canadian waters.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....html#h-729416

Rule 5 is in the collision regs, so it applies to all vessels.

Quote:
Application
3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), these Regulations apply in respect of

(a) every Canadian ODAS and Canadian vessel located in any waters, including every Canadian vessel that is an exploration or exploitation vessel engaged in exploration or exploitation activities pursuant to a licence issued by the Government of Canada;

(b) every pleasure craft, foreign ODAS and foreign vessel located in Canadian waters, including every foreign vessel that is an exploration or exploitation vessel engaged in exploration or exploitation activities pursuant to a licence issued by the Government of Canada; and

(c) every seaplane on or over Canadian waters.

(2) As provided for Canadian vessels in subsection 7(3) of the Act, where the laws of a country other than Canada are applicable to a Canadian ODAS that is within the waters of that country and those laws are inconsistent with these Regulations, the laws of that country prevail to the extent of the inconsistency in respect of the Canadian ODAS.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....html#h-512818
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:49   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The Marine Personnel Regs don't apply to pleasure vessels in Canada.
They should.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 10:11   #21

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
They should.
Um, part 1 is about professional certification requirements and part 2 is about labour regulations. Why should that apply to recreational vessels?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 10:42   #22

The logic behind the regulations is to reduce the number of fatigue related incidents. People die in fatigue related incidents, and it doesn't matter whether they are on commercial or recreational vessels.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:58   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

This lady solo sailor looks to be pretty well rested during her Round the World race on a boat that is moving quite fast so it isn't a smooth ride.

I believe her VMG for the whole rounding was 8 knots average. (130 days)

I wonder if her team can monitor her radar, AIS, etc. to alert her to nearby traffic while she sleeps?

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 11:53   #24

She can set alarms on her AIS and radar. She was running on adrenalin at the finish, as there was increasing ship and fishing boat traffic as she got near. In a previous solo RTW race, one of the contestants managed to hit Brittany before they finished.
Old 09-03-2024, 12:34   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

One of the things I love about being on the boat is the sleep, which is of a much different and better quality than sleep on land.

Yes, on long passages we go through periods of sleep deprivation, but that is easily made up later. What percentage of your time on board are you doing long passages? Even for circumnavigators, it is a minor percentage. Otherwise, sleep on board is far superior to sleep on land. Sweet dreams!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 13:59   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

A forward looking camera monitor mounted next to your radar display is pretty nice to have also especially if you can see it from your bunk with just a glance.

Plus she has AIS and a Team Monitoring her.

She also has up to date weather from Predict Wind.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 14:33   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i am what call "biphasic" sleeper. usually pass out around 9:00 at night then wake up at around midnight. stay up for a 3 or 4 hours and then if i am lucky sleep until 8:00 in the morning. sometimes a nap in the afternoon is required as well.
Old 14-03-2024, 03:39   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i am what call "biphasic" sleeper. usually pass out around 9:00 at night then wake up at around midnight. stay up for a 3 or 4 hours and then if i am lucky sleep until 8:00 in the morning. sometimes a nap in the afternoon is required as well. ('polyphasic sleep')
Biphasic Sleep: What It Is And How It Works
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-...biphasic-sleep

“... It is worth noting that the original biphasic sleep schedule, which split nighttime sleep into two segments with a waking hour around midnight, was common around the world. This biphasic sleep schedule was the norm even in cultures located near the equator, where residents’ circadian rhythms are not affected by changing seasons.
In one case study [1], researchers found electroencephalographic (EEG) evidence that suggested that the midnight waking hour could be pre-programmed in humans ...”

[1] “The effects of napping on cognitive functioning” ~ by Nicole Lovato & Leon Lack
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21075238/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2024, 05:26   #29

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Hi, Len,
We encountered two areas east of Quebec City in narrow passages with a reported 11 knots in the Tide Tables on the flood. Thanks to the tables we caught them both at slack tide and had less than a knot one one passage and about 1.5 opposing on the other. Anyone transiting the river must have these tables for a safe journey. By the way, at Rimouski, we woke up at low tide and the marina was surrounded by 10-15 foot boulders that reached out about a 1/2 mile to the river on the drying seabed. Glad we didn't try to drop the hook!
Best, Rognvald

P.S. Once past Quebec City we saw many Harbor Seals and a few Beluga sightings. That river is a serious sail but pure magic for nature lovers. R
Old 14-03-2024, 05:38   #30

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
A forward looking camera monitor mounted next to your radar display is pretty nice to have also especially if you can see it from your bunk with just a glance.

Plus she has AIS and a Team Monitoring her.

She also has up to date weather from Predict Wind.

Hi, Thomm,
So, when does a boat cease being a boat and become a spaceship? We sail to leave land behind and practice simplicity. I still use paper charts, a simple GPS, and a depth sounder. Those Maxi's are in a different category than the rest of us and so is their mission. We own a 34 foot boat and my only regret as we age is that we didn't buy a smaller boat. And, we can sleep just as well on a 28 footer as a larger boat . . .
Best, Rognvald

Tags
import