Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Taking a pet to Bahamas

Bringing a cat (on our cat) to the bahamas soon. We have the vaccination portion taken care of. They want the animal checked for health and intestinal parasites no more than 48 hours prior to arrival. This not very feasible considering we could be waiting for days for a weather window. Options are find a vet that wont date the form, etc what have you done?
Thanks
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Taking a pet to Bahamas

Both times we came with our two kitties, we asked the vet if they could leave the form undated and promised that we would fill it before we went to customs & immigration. I think most of the vets on the East Coast of Florida must know the drill, because both times they said "sorry, we can't leave it blank" but then left it blank anyway. I'm know other cruisers who have themselves changed the date on the form, and others who have just submitted the paperwork dated "too early" hoping they wouldn't have a problem. I don't personally know anyone who has had an issue, nor do I remember reading about it. We'll see if any others here have had a problem. Enjoy...it's my favorite place to cruise.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

We take our dog every year. You must get the permit in advance ($10.00), with it comes the vet form,web is correct, do not have the vet date it. I know of no one who takes a pet to a Bahamian vet for inspection, I never have. Nor do I know of anyone being asked to. Enjoy your cruise.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:07   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Did you need to show them a international pet health evaluation form or just the Bahamian form with the 3 lines?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:20   #5

Boat: csy 37

we took our cats to the bahamas. sent to nassau for the forms, went to the vet, got forms filled out and cats examined, spent a couple of hundred dollars. when we checked in at cat cay (yes, CAT cay) i told the customs guy we had cats aboard. he couldn't have cared less. didn't even ask to see the forms.

we haven't bothered getting papers for the cats since. they never leave the boat - rarely even leave the cabin. we've adopted a 'don't ask don't tell' policy...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:04   #6

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

I have been to the Bahamas often, by plane and by boat, with cats and dogs. They are very serious about the $10 permit. They have NEVER asked to see a health certificate. Bring proof of current shots - but they won't ask for that either. If you are on a budget, health certificates are, IMHO a BIG waste of money.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i told the customs guy we had cats aboard. he couldn't have cared less. didn't even ask to see the forms.
This has not been my experience - we have always been asked for the $10 permit. Once we got in trouble because we tried to use the permit for two entries (it states clearly on the document that it's good for only one entry). Of course, one of our cats is a real "people person" and refuses to hide when we have visitors. He makes a nuisance of himself, and is hard to ignore. Generally speaking, we also follow the "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy of international pet travel.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 21-06-2013, 08:20   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

We just time our dogs annual vet trip with our Bahamas trip, our vet never dates the papers so I always keep a couple photocopies just in case. I also pick up a new entry permit on each visit so I always have one.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
I also pick up a new entry permit on each visit so I always have one.
That's a great idea for those who travel regularly to the Bahamas. I think our permit took about eight weeks to arrive, one time. Other cruisers I know have paid the extra $5 for the fax option, when they were short on time, and it worked well.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:39   #10

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm not really sure why the vet shouldn't date the form. The rule states "the animal must be accompanied by a veterinary health certificate within 48 hours of arrival".

I can't find the regulation that the pet must be examined and certified with the 48 hours before arrival. This would explain why there is not much concern about it on the part of the Bahamas officials. Following the written rule, you could do it months before arrival. They probably think there are a bunch of crazy sailors out there.

The key is the word "arrival" vs. "entry into the territorial waters of..."

Here is the official link:

http://www.bahamas.com/sites/default...s_in_TIOTB.pdf
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:07   #11

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

(c) The animal must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate
presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas to
a licensed veterinarian for an examination.

I read this to mean you must take the health cert and the animal to the vet within 48 hours of your arrival. The form (Aphis form 7001) states is valid for 30 days.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32   #12

Be careful make sure your dog has heartworm meds. All the bahamian dogs have heartworms period.
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:40   #13

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Just arrived last week in the bahamas. Be sure to report your pet to the department of agriuculture and pay the fee.

You can fax it, and they fax you a receipt. I did mine in one day.

Obviously follow all other precautions when traveling with a pet. Current Health Cert, Shots up to date, Rabies Vac, Radiology Test results...
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:43   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
Just arrived last week in the bahamas. Be sure to report your pet to the department of agriuculture and pay the fee.

You can fax it, and they fax you a receipt. I did mine in one day.

Obviously follow all other precautions when traveling with a pet. Current Health Cert, Shots up to date, Rabies Vac, Radiology Test results...
How did you pay for it?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:02   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Years ago, cruised the Bahamas w 4 cats and parrot aboard. Went thru all the hassle and expense to get all paperwork completed and paid for before we left FL. Never enountered a Bahamian offical who asked for the paperwork or seemed even remotely interested.

Of course, had we not, that would likely be the first thing they asked form.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote