Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 13:31   #31

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Lizzy, I understand your point of view. Life is precious and to end it...well, it is final with no recourse to previous choices. When someone falls off a boat and drowns that is a tragedy. Of course, that individual didn't want that to happen. Mortality, especially one's own mortality, is an intensely disturbing subject for many people. There are some very highly educated people who believe that religions were created especially for the purpose of dealing with the loss of loved ones and the attendant grief associated with that loss.

Simply put, life is capricious. It is so easy to take a life or take one's own life. What I have learned ...what life has taught me is that suicide is a perfectly acceptable choice when life becomes too much. Euthanasia is becoming more and more acceptable in the United States. But there are times when psychologically a person can not bear the emotional pain of whatever has set upon them. Their pain is so intense and protracted that they cannot stand it anymore. There are many periodicals that support the evidence of crisis around the holidays and the suicides that happen. People really can go nutts and make desperate decisions.

The loss of your friend was neither of these type situations. Just a bad luck day. When people say something like "at least he died doing what he loved" it is because they don't really know what to say. I always enjoy your opinions. As for me, I feel it is perfectly acceptable to take one's own life if there is unremitting pain and no way out. I would never allow the medical system to drain my finances and leave my wife's continued existence in jeopardy.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:33   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Sorry about that, but old folks really should be placed in rest homes and out of the way of those who must get on with life. One can quibble as to the exact age, but certainly somewhere in that range one does become daft and should not be trusted with anything that moves. Exceptions do exist, but they are exceptions to the rule that humans start to rot very quickly after 60. Every military on earth recognizes that.
I thought it had to be in jest? 60 is what 35 was not to many years ago. If you're serious I hope you don't make it. Maybe when you do you should be put to sleep? You wouldn't want to rot.

Sounds as if you can't cut it against experience?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:49   #33

If you want third world health care, stay in the big cities; otherwise you will have to get use to way different standards of health care. Like chickens roaming the hospital corridors, families bringing in their own food to the unfortunate family member staying at the hospital. Noise, mosquitoes, shared needles, etc. Its not for the fainthearted.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:56   #34

Who cares what his reasons were. They were HIS reasons. Each and every one of us is in charge of his or her own destiny. Who are we to judge. I respect the guy and his decision, for whatever reason. At least he had the guts to make this decision.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 13:59   #35

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco@onyva View Post
Who cares what his reasons were. They were HIS reasons. Each and every one of us is in charge of his or her own destiny. Who are we to judge. I respect the guy and his decision, for whatever reason. At least he had the guts to make this decision.
No one asked what his reasons were, nor was it the subject of the thread.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I thought it had to be in jest? 60 is what 35 was not to many years ago. If you're serious I hope you don't make it. Maybe when you do you should be put to sleep? You wouldn't want to rot.

Sounds as if you can't cut it against experience?
Heck, I am well past that age. Nope, I want to live and be a royal pain in the butt while society pampers me. Spilled my blood in wars(2 of them), saved the lives of probably over 2000 folks over the years on my operating table, and added considerably to the world population. Also sailed every ocean there is. Now I have gotten out of the way for younger folks to have their go at things. Old farts do not need to place others in harms way.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:01   #37

Quote:
If you want third world health care, stay in the big cities; otherwise you will have to get use to way different standards of health care. Like chickens roaming the hospital corridors, families bringing in their own food to the unfortunate family member staying at the hospital. Noise, mosquitoes, shared needles, etc. Its not for the fainthearted.

Sounds like a problem. To be crass I haven't got a clue as to what you are speaking about?
Old 23-02-2016, 14:01   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Ahhh..!!
The old 3 strikes and your out hospitals.. the chickens are essential for the sacrifices and diagnosis of your affliction by the state of its guts..
As for families bringing food to their kin in hospital.. if you think hospital food is actually edible and good for you... don't ever cook for me..

PS: For a blue collar worker you've just described some 1st world hospitals.. bar the chickens.. but stacked in a corridor on trollies is not unknown.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:02   #39

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Human existence may be simply described as a gradual progression from birth, life to death. In a universe, that is 15 billion years old with an ever expanding universe, individual life has no significance. However, it is the nature of Man to create and give meaning to his/her subjective transitory existence in an attempt to circumvent the harsh reality of an objectively meaningless life. An act of suicide is not weak or brave. It is no different than driving a car or eating an apple. It simply is.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:04   #40

Quote:
Absolutely!. Each individual makes their own decision, as it should be. Better to exit life on your own terms then on someone else's.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:07   #41

Quote:
Sorry about that, but old folks really should be placed in rest homes and out of the way of those who must get on with life. One can quibble as to the exact age, but certainly somewhere in that range one does become daft and should not be trusted with anything that moves. Exceptions do exist, but they are exceptions to the rule that humans start to rot very quickly after 60. Every military on earth recognizes that.
You must be very wet behind the ears which is fine, youthful ignorance is bliss.

Militaries recognise that the human body's ability becomes compromised over 60, not the mind. It is certainly not the exception to the rule that 'bright minds' continue into old age. Which is why medical practicioners, judges, and many other professions can continue beyond 60, and they are critical professions, where the sharpness of the mind is necessary.

And statistically, most road accident deaths in this country at least are under 64.

On the other hand, I'm convinced we are seeing a dumbing of the mind in young people. Bogan's are on the increase, they are breeding faster than rabbits.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:10   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sounds like a problem. To be crass I haven't got a clue as to what you are speaking about?
Oh dear clueless, third world medical facilities tend to be very run down, or become rather dilapidated quickly once set up. We set up a clinic on Marjuro back in the 80s. Ten years later we went back and found most of the windows gone, the -ray machine rusting and impossible to use, rat poop along all corridors, and generally a filthy mess. Same experience in outlying Colon, and same with rural clinics in Kenya(and that is probably the most progressive nation in Africa).
It takes management, organization, and training to keep a medical facility operating to WHO standards and most poorer nations just do not have the resources to do that. Its not just money, its the way the society is set up.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:10   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
No one asked what his reasons were, nor was it the subject of the thread.
Mind your own business I would say. I am just stating what my view is. And looking at your last post, you seem very convinced of yourself.....breeding faster than rabbits.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:13   #44

Quote:
Oh dear clueless, third world medical facilities tend to be very run down, or become rather dilapidated quickly once set up. We set up a clinic on Marjuro back in the 80s. Ten years later we went back and found most of the windows gone, the -ray machine rusting and impossible to use, rat poop along all corridors, and generally a filthy mess. Same experience in outlying Colon, and same with rural clinics in Kenya(and that is probably the most progressive nation in Africa).
It takes management, organization, and training to keep a medical facility operating to WHO standards and most poorer nations just do not have the resources to do that. Its not just money, its the way the society is set up.
Get real.
Old 23-02-2016, 14:33   #45

Quote:
Mind your own business I would say. I am just stating what my view is. And looking at your last post, you seem very convinced of yourself.....breeding faster than rabbits.
Are you purposely trolling for an argument? If that's your intent, go elswhere and do it. The thread topic was a legitamate one of which I'm really quite interested in. Though I've not seen anyone so far address it.

Tags
sail