Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 14:04   #136

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Why the hell is it a discussion? If a 78 year old puts his boat on the rocks and offs himself, that is his choice. I see no point in at the second guessing?
READ THE OP!
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 14:10   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Ok Rusty, here is one good writeup of the confusion following the dead Whale:

The American Chronicle: The Strange Death Of Nelson Rockefeller
THat's the same link I suggested to you in post 110 and the post itself dispels your claim he was a whale

Dude, come clean, what's your age and your real profession?
Old 29-02-2016, 14:30   #138

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
READ THE OP!
I did look at the OP? Seems like a bunch of speculation past that?

To what end?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 15:07   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I did look at the OP? Seems like a bunch of speculation past that?

To what end?
I probably shouldn't have used the 'illustration' I used. It was simply current and led me to asking the question. My motivation was in seeking personal experiences of solo sailors and their emotional/psychological struggles whilst solo sailing.

My future has a lot of solo sailing in it I suspect.
Old 29-02-2016, 15:18   #140
CLOD

Boat: none

Are any of you embarrassed yet? You should be.
Old 29-02-2016, 15:19   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Are any of you embarrassed yet? You should be.
\

Embarrassed about what?
Old 29-02-2016, 18:23   #142

Boat: Orca 38
Solo Sailor Took His Own Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
It is without doubt, the most screwed up and silly system of healthcare every designed! Too expensive, too complicated and has doctors all over the country leaving it in droves! My personal Dr has closed his practice after 30+ years because of the unreasonable and onerous rules for reimbursement reporting. He can make more $ as a construction worker which is what he does now! Thanks for f***ing up a perfectly good system Obama... This is your legacy. Phil

It's getting pretty deep around here, and since no one else is gonna call BS on this comment, I will. Everyone else is busy calling BS on other deep piles, I got this!

I own a construction company. We build high end custom homes using high skilled craftsmen (for the most part). I was also at the doctors office here in the US for the first time in 20+ years this week. Medical tourism has been my modus operandi for decades now. I feel qualified to say pppppplllllttttttttt to you sir.

The doctor that saw me (how the hell do teenagers become doctors? I dunno) told me that everyone he knows in the profession, see the "AFFORDABLE CARE ACT" (I know you want to be accurate, huh?) as a start to bringing healthcare to our unwashed masses you ..........uuummmm......sailor you!

I've never met a doctor (or very many of ANY professional) that wanted to step into the realm of physical labor. So basically, unless you can prove that any of what you said is more than BS, show me...........

And what "perfectly good system" were you referring to btw that has been sooooo f***ed up. Do tell.......please........

On edit: You used this thread as a thinly disguised way of going off on a political rant, an asinine one at best.....shame on you, now go sit in the corner.
Old 29-02-2016, 18:59   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Which is why no one over 60 should be allowed to sail alone, let alone drive a car. Just too old for that sort of stuff.
So, I should stop cross country skiing in Birkies or ride by bicycle for 16K a day also? Or stop doing laps in the pool at night?

What about going hunting in the mountains? Too old for that also? By myself or with my son?
Old 01-03-2016, 00:43   #144
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
...... to asking the question. My motivation was in seeking personal experiences of solo sailors and their emotional/psychological struggles whilst solo sailing.

My future has a lot of solo sailing in it I suspect.
Back on topic.... no struggles whatsoever. Actually, I feel a bit left out never having had any hallucinations or hearing any voices. Well, apart from once when the short wave radion turned itself on somehow, it did seem odd at the time. hearing a murmor of what sounded like cricket commentary from BBC world service.
Otherwise largely positive. Longest time alone so far has been 32 days Carib-Azores. The "dreading landfall" has happened, after a few days it's so serene out there that going back on land just seems far too ... busy! But that's just silly, you can't stay out there forever so best to ignore that one

One effect I found was extremely subtle, barely perceptible but did seem to bubble under the surface. Because we all make up this image of ourselves in our heads then the mind tries to bolster this idea of self among others, with nobody else around there's nobody to have to strengthen this idea of an independent "me" for. So I experienced a very slight erosion of the sense of an independent "the big me!". Hard to explain, and probably meditating a lot and reading buddhist philosophy at the time had a lot to do with it as well. But a nice feeling, useful to back off a bit from ego decisions and react more objectively.

Some fantastic memories, swimming in 4Km deep water looking at the boat with some shearwaters letting me stoke them, watching a plane contrail for ages as it was the first straight line seen off the boat for weeks.
Good job the brain doesn't remember to bad bits very well.
Ah, another point, your memory is really not very good, I've a few memories which I would swear are exact but don't match the log.
Can't wait to get back out there again.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 00:51   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So, I should stop cross country skiing in Birkies or ride by bicycle for 16K a day also? Or stop doing laps in the pool at night?

What about going hunting in the mountains? Too old for that also? By myself or with my son?
No no no that's all ok. But you have to catch a bus to the pool and the ski field because you dude are way too old to be sailing or driving a car
Old 01-03-2016, 00:54   #146

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

Mummified body of missing Manfred Fritz Bajorat is found inside drifting yacht | Daily Mail Online

Just reported this morning..
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 00:55   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Back on topic.... no struggles whatsoever. Actually, I feel a bit left out never having had any hallucinations or hearing any voices. Well, apart from once when the short wave radion turned itself on somehow, it did seem odd at the time. hearing a murmor of what sounded like cricket commentary from BBC world service.
Otherwise largely positive. Longest time alone so far has been 32 days Carib-Azores. The "dreading landfall" has happened, after a few days it's so serene out there that going back on land just seems far too ... busy! But that's just silly, you can't stay out there forever so best to ignore that one

One effect I found was extremely subtle, barely perceptible but did seem to bubble under the surface. Because we all make up this image of ourselves in our heads then the mind tries to bolster this idea of self among others, with nobody else around there's nobody to have to strengthen this idea of an independent "me" for. So I experienced a very slight erosion of the sense of an independent "the big me!". Hard to explain, and probably meditating a lot and reading buddhist philosophy at the time had a lot to do with it as well. But a nice feeling, useful to back off a bit from ego decisions and react more objectively.

Some fantastic memories, swimming in 4Km deep water looking at the boat with some shearwaters letting me stoke them, watching a plane contrail for ages as it was the first straight line seen off the boat for weeks.
Good job the brain doesn't remember to bad bits very well.
Ah, another point, your memory is really not very good, I've a few memories which I would swear are exact but don't match the log.
Can't wait to get back out there again.
Thank you very interesting reading. That's whats i wanted.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:15   #148

Jessica Watson provides advice for thise contemplating solo experience

SOPHEE SMILES - Find your happy place
Old 01-03-2016, 02:20   #149

Quote:
that is so politically incorrect. You are suppose to help support the health care system and your Government by delaying the inevitable by all means possible. After all, who owns your body?
I take care of my wife for many years and I don't want that someone must do this work on me. We sponsor the health system for nearly half a century and my experiences with the system are rather poor.
Fortunately we have in Germany the notarized advance directive, so that everyone can decide how to proceed in the particular case.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail