Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 09:32   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Safe to cruise after a massive stroke?

In your situation, this old adage may be applicable: "It is better to know someone with a pool (or boat) than to own one yourself."

If you aren't going to get the use of your left side back, I can't see how you could do any coastal cruising alone. (Any lakes near you you could ail on?) Find someone with a boat and see if you can sail with them for day jaunts. Unless your risk of another stroke is exceptionally high, being away from shore for a day shouldn't stop you. Mental health is as important as physical health.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Being realistic, from what you said it sounds like folly. I had to come to that realization at 61 from neck surgery that went south. It is a hard thing to come to grips with.
Wishing you the best. Do you have a close friend that would crew for you full time ?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23   #18

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Sounds like a dense right MCA stroke with left hemiparesis. If Afib is the cause you are probably on blood thinners.

The arm weakness, or complete paralysis is easy, the leg is more problematic because of the inherent instability of the deck of a moving boat. If you're on a 'blood thinner' secondary to an embolic stroke that's even more worry. Having a weak leg and needing to catch yourself from falling on, or over board, doesn't sound good. Falls and blood thinners are a bad combination.

Can you afford a live aboard motorboat? I've seen a boat adapted for a paraplegic's needs, but it was a pretty swanky catamaran.

If you see decently well, can ambulate with a cane, and your neurologist signs off I think a motor boat, or motor sailor is ok. I think you'd have to motor mostly, and sail when you had crew.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:26   #19

Boat: O'Day 26
Smile Re: Safe to cruise after a massive stroke?

Web51, while I have not experienced a major stroke, I do feel that I can relate somewhat to yourself in with respect to your desire to continue sailing in spite of your medical situation. While I have not suffered a serious stroke, I am about to turn 80 years of age in less than two months, had major by-pass surgery last year and am in the planning stages of an AICW trip in the fall of 2021. I purchased a pocket cruiser over 15 years ago with a plan to single-hand this trip upon retirement; I have now been retired for 13 years and at age 80 realize a single-handed trip is simply not in the cards. My brother, who will turn 76, and has little sailing experience, will take the trip with me.

You may wish to continue sailing as you have expressed, and are most likely a very proficient sailor, however, in view of your medical history, and in consideration of yourself and family, I do not think you should consider doing any long distance cruising without a first mate. I'm sorry about the passing of your wife, but based upon the pressure experienced from my own wife when I expressed my intent to make the ICW trip, I'm sure you would encounter even greater protestations from your wife were she alive today.

As others have mentioned, sailing the ICW is actually more of a motor trip than sailing. If, after consultation with your medical doctors (if like me you have more than one) you still plan to "sail" the AICW, and want further encouragement, you might consider reading the book "Gib's Odyssey" by Walter Bradley. This is a true story of a man who at an age, probably a couple of years younger than you, developed Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) and traveled the AICW via small power boat (he wanted to make the trip by sailboat but knew he would be unable to handle sails) from Key West to New York and back while being required to feed himself by way of a tube inserted into his stomach and ended the trip steering with his feet. The book was written by his neurologist based upon Gib's messages and notes to family.

Yes, it can be done, but Web51, you should take the advice others on this forum have provided and do so only with a crew of at least one. Even with crew, you also must be willing to accept the possibility of another serious stroke where you might not be able to receive timely adequate medical attention to prevent it from being fatal. Your physician(s) will undoubtedly recommend you not take the trip solo, if at all. Think about it, what else can he/she/they say?

Personally, I hope you are able to go forward with your plans and that you will keep in touch with this forum. I also hope you live and sail many more years, but be prepared once you do go upward; your wife is going to give you hell!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:36   #20

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
In your situation, this old adage may be applicable: "It is better to know someone with a pool (or boat) than to own one yourself."

If you aren't going to get the use of your left side back, I can't see how you could do any coastal cruising alone. (Any lakes near you you could ail on?) Find someone with a boat and see if you can sail with them for day jaunts. Unless your risk of another stroke is exceptionally high, being away from shore for a day shouldn't stop you. Mental health is as important as physical health.
I fully agree. I simply can't imagine your being able to manage even a small powerboat alone with docking, anchoring, even going down below safely in rough weather - without being a danger to yourself and/or others. Just getting onto a boat from the dock by yourself safely would be challenging.

As a retired internist, I think that the best medical input you could get would be from a Physical Medicine and Rehab. professional - who you've likely seen in the past - who could assess your present capabilities and risks on an unstable platform.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:42   #21

Boat: C&C

You need someone full time with you or forget it unfortunately. As mentioned it's not only about you but who else you might harm or put in danger's way.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:13   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You are 69 and post stroke, what do you want to do with your last few years? Being on the water is a pretty healthy lifestyle but remote from immediate medical attention. So do you want to spend the last years in a 'safe' place so you can get medical attention immediately and maybe live a little longer or do you want to max your enjoyment of life and follow a dream for maybe a shorter time? PS, best stroke recovery programs include a good diet, achieving a healthy weight, exercise and a strong interest in life, this last may be critical but I can't prove it!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:37   #23

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

A smallish, thirty feet or so motor cruiser should be fine--and even smaller would do if you are always going to be alone--but mostly vagrant souls on water do not long lack companionship. Plenty of kindred spirits around.

People in wheelchairs, amputees, ex stroke victims have managed power craft--

"Sailing Doodles" blog on u-tube is provided by an ex-stroke victim, but he seems to be doing VERY well--and as for company--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:32   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
A smallish, thirty feet or so motor cruiser should be fine--and even smaller would do if you are always going to be alone--but mostly vagrant souls on water do not long lack companionship. Plenty of kindred spirits around.

People in wheelchairs, amputees, ex stroke victims have managed power craft--

"Sailing Doodles" blog on u-tube is provided by an ex-stroke victim, but he seems to be doing VERY well--and as for company--
My thoughts exactly. I say go for it and enjoy the rest of your life.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 16:53   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel it is time to hear from the OP.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:01   #26

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

As many others have said "Go for It"!

I'm 77 & have a few medical issues, though none as serious as a stroke, but I will not curl up in a Barka-Lounger and watch TV & play games till i die.

I will hopefully "Go West" while sailing and my family is well aware of this & actually encourages me to "Follow My Dream"!

Like you I will always have a crew of some sort because I don't want any stupid mistake to end it all. There's always good crew out there just pick & choose carefully.

Capt Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:40   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Web51, I've been around here a while. Read bensolomon's post #11. He's at least a doctor.

I'm just an old sailor, and I think you could sail--with someone, but not alone, because you could hurt an innocent.

Ann
Old 02-12-2020, 04:27   #28

Web,

There you go. You ask for the opinions of others, and they gave you some good choices. They covered the issues of doability, of safety for yourself and others, and even some recommendations on boat size and equipment.

A couple of folks hinted on "what do you want to do". I am going to say something about that. So you know, I am 65 years old. Have had a mild stroke, a heart attack, had two hip replacements with one going bad enough to require a six month stretch on a walker, and three years on a cane. I can walk again however, and my health is quite good at this time. My memory is like a lot of folks, I do forget things from time to time but its not that bad to me.

In my family (not my wife's) Folks have a way of putting your life on a shelf when they think its time. First my Grandma, then two of my mom's sisters, then my mom passed from cancer (at the funeral my Dad proclaimed loudly that the Bank was Closed) and in three months my Dad was in a long term care facility, and his bank account was taken over by my brother. His home was sold, his other properties were sold, and in the next three years his money was gone and he died. When my mother died he was active, healthy, had never been sick in his life. His crime was being 80 years old, and letting his kids go to the Courts to determine what the hell his life was going to be like.

Sadly because I lived a thousand miles away I did not seem to get in on these decisions. Even as the oldest child, even as the most financially capable, I was lied to, and that was that. So I made a decision. I would never get into that situation. Period.

So my opinion is that your life is your life. Live it as you wish. Live it as strongly as you have ever lived it. Every breath means something. You want a boat, you get a boat. You must know deep inside the answers to all the questions. Trust yourself. Out of nowhere will the next life episode emerge. For me it was my wife and a bout of cancer so strong it almost took her life. Somehow, it was not her time. A year later she is strong again. So I will wait.

I already know how my life might end, if its my choice. I will simply head out of the inlet, and not turn back. I will have already made all my financial preps, and will not ever let someone else decide my fate. I will say goodbye on my terms. If by chance I make it to wherever I'm going, well, I'll call them and tell them how I'm doing. If the Sea takes me on the way, I'll be happy about that too. But if I am alive, I am going to live like I am alive. Period here too.

So, pick out a nice small boat. Self tending jib on a roller. A cut down main, that even an old one arm man can raise. The anchor working at the touch of a button. All of these can be set up to run off of electricity provided by a couple of panels. I would choose a Flicka, most likely. With a wind vane and a tiller pilot. Make it all easy. Then just go. Tell them you got a sat phone and they can call when they like. But git on out of there before you can't. Check the Laws in your state. In mine it only requires one family member to put me in a home. They have been raised to know better than that. They know thats something to never attempt, and to never talk about. I am like an old elephant, and when my time comes I will take the walk. I know where to go and I don't need any help getting there.

I am also part American Indian, especially from the shoulders up, and I do believe today is a good day to die. I also love life. I live it to the fullest. I have had a great life. One marraige 44 years and running. One daughter, who has excelled beyond imagination. One grandson whom I love dearly. Served my Country twice, and still bear the scars. I love my Country. I love my life, and I alone will decide when I'm done. Of course God can step in any time He wants. And He will most likely. But no one else.

So start shopping, and get that boat if thats what YOU want. Go where you want too. If you know football, you know we are both in the 4th Quarter of the Game. Its almost over Brother. So play with all your heart. Leave it all on the field. Maybe I'll see you in the South Pacific somewhere. Maybe not. Just don't look back! Period.

bud
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:44   #29

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Please always sail with a good competent friend.
Please do not have the rescue services put themselves in danger unnecessarily.
In the UK and Ireland we have had for nearly 200 years the volunteers of the RNLI - as is said, the Crews have to go out on a Shout; they do not have to come back.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Web51, I've been around here a while. Read bensolomon's post #11. He's at least a doctor.

I'm just an old sailor, and I think you could sail--with someone, but not alone, because you could hurt an innocent.
He's free to drive, as are the supermajority of stroke victims. I submit the odds of having a medical crisis driving into a flotilla of sea scouts in canoes is far, far less likely than an event while driving injuring someone (for example).

Otherwise I'd suggest that there are 2 types of medical people. The first helps sane people maximize their potential to live their sane dreams. The second does what most medical people do.

If the 69yo OP who's lost his wife and has a dream of getting out on the water can safely move about the (motor) boat, and is at peace with himself if he passes out there, and if his family supports him, then I submit his decision to live his dream ought to be supported. Main concern from my perspective is ability to move about on an unstable platform. Certainly risk of falling/dying is increased for various reasons, but if he's comfortable with the consequence and it doesn't cost other people more money than the alternative, I don't know why we woldn't support him.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise