Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 12:05   #1

Boat: Leopard 43
Storm & Lightning Detector

Hi all,

I came across this Storm & Lightning Detector, the other day and it would seem to be a very valuable tool for long range cruisers like myself.

ThunderBolt® removes the element of surprise, tracking storms from 75-125 miles away!
The lightweight, hand-held ThunderBolt® Storm & Lightning Detector can detect and track storm activity from up to 75-125 miles in real-time. Units in the field or at sea will never be surprised by an approaching storm again. It continuously provides precise updates of the storm’s progression.
The ThunderBolt® alerts you to real-time changes in the weather. Before thunder can be heard and often before lightning can be seen, you and your team could be in danger. ThunderBolt® provides information about a storm's severity, approach speed, direction, and estimated time of arrival to your location. It gives you the intel to factor weather conditions into tactical decision-making.

I am thinking about buying one. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 12:11   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Storm & Lightning Detector

It does sound interesting indeed. I have to admit that most of the thunderstorms that I've found myself in were either when at a dock or in an anchorage and had no choice but to wait out the storm and when at sea the radar does an excellent job of showing cumulonimbus activity; but also at sea and particularly when those storms are part of a front there's also little chance of taking evasive action.

p.s. did you know that a hand-held AM/FM radio will also give audible signal of an electrical storm, and the antenna can be used as a rough direction finder?
Old 15-05-2013, 12:27   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You can see lightning a long way off and you hear the thunder. Coastwise within the USA the weather radio will have updates when storms are in the area. A smart phone can show you the local weather radar and you can see what's coming. There is usually plenty of warning. Not much you can do in most cases except prepare for wind and rain, and stay away from metal objects as much as possible.
Old 15-05-2013, 12:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
did you know that a hand-held AM/FM radio will also give audible signal of an electrical storm, and the antenna can be used as a rough direction finder?
yeah, this. Use the AM band, and set it to between stations; lightning will be apparent as crackles and bursts of seemingly random static above the hiss.

Try this once when you can see a thunderstorm coming, and you'll know how to recognise the sound.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 14:15   #5

I was thinking more for when at anchor away from the USA. I have been at anchor eating dinner without a care in the world and then a squall rolled in and caught us by surprise with high winds, rain and lightening. Would have been nice to know it was on its way.

Cheers,

CJ
Old 15-05-2013, 14:17   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

heheh. yeah, the old "transistor" AM radios would crackle with static every time there was a lightning discharge anywhere around. And you should be able to still find one, new or vintage, for ten bucks. As a side benefit, they play music and news.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 14:25   #7

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Holiday View Post
Hi all,

I came across this Storm & Lightning Detector, the other day and it would seem to be a very valuable tool for long range cruisers like myself.
I have one already her name is Bandit, a Mutt we obtained in Antigua, must have lived through at least one hurricane. Any storm within a hundred miles and she's tryin to find a place to hide.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 14:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I have one already her name is Bandit, a Mutt we obtained in Antigua, must have lived through at least one hurricane. Any storm within a hundred miles and she's tryin to find a place to hide.
Sounds great! Probably does a great job of scaring off would be thief's as well. Where can i get one?

CJ
Old 16-05-2013, 06:22   #9

I'm sure the ThunderBolt does what it says that it does. At $500, however, for something that you can accomplish with the cheapest of AM radios, I'm not really seeing the value.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 06:53   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don, I think it was in FL a couple of years ago when some kids playing little league bbal got zapped in a storm. Kids, golfers...no one wants to stop until the rain is on them but with an objective "alarm" it becomes easier to say "Game will be called if alarm sounds". Apparently a sidestrike 30 miles away from a storm center is within the norm, so folks just don't realize a storm "over there" can still zap 'em.
Old 16-05-2013, 07:35   #11

Boat: 34 Irwin
My Weather Bug App. Has a lighting detector on it. Shows distance and wherein map.
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 07:44   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Weather bug has a "reporter" not a detector. A detector works all by itself. A reporter is relying on the cellular system or the internet to bring you reports from other people that have gone into a central station (weatherbug or NOAA) and been reported back out again.

If you're off the grid, or the grid is down, weatherbug won't be able to help.
Old 23-12-2020, 11:28   #13

Boat: Mirage 5.5
Thumbs up Re: Storm & Lightning Detector

This is an important topic. Please see my new thread at https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...14#post3304514 for a continuation.

Tags
lightning