Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 13:29   #61

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Safe to cruise after a massive stroke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Not this.

The one thing in this thread that's clear is that the OP isn't safe alone on the boat. That means he needs to have someone there to help him. Which then fails to consider what happens when the OP's crew needs his help after they're injured or fall overboard.

Going forward with the idea to "just do it" puts at least 1 if not 2 people into danger in an emergency situation. And that's just an absolutely terrible idea no one should consider on any level.

Life doesn't revolve around a boat. The boat is part of some people's lives but living doesn't require a boat. Living requires finding a way to be happy with what you have and not pining over what you don't.
i don't see where it is made clear that the op is "not safe on a boat". I do see that it will be more difficult for him and he will need to choose where and when he goes, docks and anchors with care. As we get older we all have to make adjustments. It will probably be too difficult at some point for all of us. If I were him I would certainly give it a try.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 15:09   #62

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
i don't see where it is made clear that the op is "not safe on a boat". I do see that it will be more difficult for him and he will need to choose where and when he goes, docks and anchors with care. As we get older we all have to make adjustments. It will probably be too difficult at some point for all of us. If I were him I would certainly give it a try.

He stated he has a "gimpy" leg and uses a cane. Further, he cannot use his left arm/hand.

He is not stable on his feet and doesn't have at least half of the "one hand for the boat, one hand for you" safety requirement.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 20:31   #63

Boat: Island Trader 46

I have often wondered when following this forum if even 50% of the people here actually own a boat. Or even fear walking out of the door in the morning. I spent 6 years in Afghanistan, we would say, it didn't matter how smart, how great you are, etc, etc. If you were at the wrong place at the wrong time.......
Is not everything a calculated risk?
eric12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 15:32   #64

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12 View Post
I have often wondered when following this forum if even 50% of the people here actually own a boat. Or even fear walking out of the door in the morning. I spent 6 years in Afghanistan, we would say, it didn't matter how smart, how great you are, etc, etc. If you were at the wrong place at the wrong time.......
First, thank you for you service.

But if you were under incoming rocket/mortar fire at your base, does that mean it was pointless to get into a bunker? Of course not. And if you didn't, someone would risk their life to drag your sorry arse in. You prepare for the challenges to life and limb when you can. A roadside IED is another matter when intelligence fails...

So you think you could single-hand a 30' motor boat - dock and un-dock, handle anchor, deal with engine problem or other items in the bilge with only a functional right arm and leg, with much-impaired ambulation only with cane in good hand or other solid railing?
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 17:21   #65

You are totally correct. I'll list my 70' power boat we just bought. Hopefully I'll have enough $$$$ to get a completely safe motorized wheel chair.
I learn so much here. At 70yo I guess I just need to find a wheelchair forum
Old 09-12-2020, 17:42   #66
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
err , you are being placed by your job into danger , thats is completely different from a " self " calculated risk

In my opinion , the OP is the only person that can answer the question, If the actions are foolhardy, they will become self evident

Hence , the simply answer and sensible advice , is to do baby steps and try some local sailing with a few friends to see if its all possible and where the " failure " modes are

It doesn't haven't to be all do or die nonsense , start simply and see what works and what doesn't . It not Afghanistan
Old 09-12-2020, 21:51   #67

Quote:
You are totally correct. I'll list my 70' power boat we just bought. Hopefully I'll have enough $$$$ to get a completely safe motorized wheel chair.
I learn so much here. At 70yo I guess I just need to find a wheelchair forum
And you know that's a load of garbage. Cripes, at 81 I could drive your boat, and I doubt that if you do have any physical infirmity, it's nothing like the OP's left-sided hemiparesis.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29   #68

Yes, the left side of my body is toast. I limp along with a brace on my leg. Left arm hangs minimal use. I was in the hospital for a month, also wheelchair for a month. I drive in LA traffic everyday. I go to therapy 2 times a week.
Boating is also my OT and PT. We are still liveaboard. We are preparing to move to Mazatlan Mexico. Our 52' sailboat up for sale ( no longer user friendly). The power boat ,70, 'is more suited to my physical limitations. The worst part of all this is now I have to pay for work that normally I would have done. Lol
A word of encouragement to others is never surrender!!!!
Push on, adjust, regroup, never give up the dream.
At 70 yo, a stroke, etc. Still moving forward, just not as fast😂
Old 10-12-2020, 11:24   #69

Quote:
Yes, the left side of my body is toast. I limp along with a brace on my leg. Left arm hangs minimal use. I was in the hospital for a month, also wheelchair for a month. I drive in LA traffic everyday. I go to therapy 2 times a week.
Boating is also my OT and PT. We are still liveaboard. We are preparing to move to Mazatlan Mexico. Our 52' sailboat up for sale ( no longer user friendly). The power boat ,70, 'is more suited to my physical limitations. The worst part of all this is now I have to pay for work that normally I would have done. Lol
A word of encouragement to others is never surrender!!!!
Push on, adjust, regroup, never give up the dream.
At 70 yo, a stroke, etc. Still moving forward, just not as fast😂
Sorry about that, it explains a lot. You're fortunate to have a partner to help and who likes the lifestyle, as does mine at a young, but not so nimble 80! 26 years ago when we retired we traveled over 20,000nm on three sailboats, over six years.

Now on our 33' MV we take trips down to Santa Barb. and the Channel Is, as well as to San Fran Bay, usually overnighting at Half Moon Bay for a timed entrance on a rising tide through the Gate. Last time, during the fires recently, headed for the Delta but the smoke drove us back from San Raphael.
Old 28-12-2020, 04:35   #70

My dad and I had been planning a cruise for a long time, but he had a stroke. He survived normally and wanted to postpone the trip. I was very worried about him. On Canada Drugs I read about pills to improve health after a stroke. I was calmer when my dad took them because I was less worried about him while traveling.
jjuliajul11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise