Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 15:39   #76

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: S/V MARATONGA missing in Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggieboots View Post

Does any of you have any knowledge about cell phones and pinging?........
I recall having read in the Argentine press that the mother of the young crew member said something about position updates sent by cell phone.
I am familiar with all sorts of communications available at sea and concluded that the poor woman was confused. I do not blame her.

I am sorry for one more boat lost at sea that unfortunately did not make the most of the tools available to help vessels in distress.

(Rant on)
Please let's take this as proof that Spot trackers are not the right tool for distress messages on a boat! For those who sail on many boats and do not trust the EPIRB of the owner, you can always carry a waterproof PLB that costs less than US$300 including recoding to the country where your next of kin live or have a phone number.
(Rant off)

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:16   #77

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I recall having read in the Argentine press that the mother of the young crew member said something about position updates sent by cell phone.
I am familiar with all sorts of communications available at sea and concluded that the poor woman was confused. I do not blame her.

I am sorry for one more boat lost at sea that unfortunately did not make the most of the tools available to help vessels in distress.

(Rant on)
Please let's take this as proof that Spot trackers are not the right tool for distress messages on a boat! For those who sail on many boats and do not trust the EPIRB of the owner, you can always carry a waterproof PLB that costs less than US$300 including recoding to the country where your next of kin live or have a phone number.
(Rant off)

I believe SPOT has a satellite-based device that pairs with a smartphone, and that it was available at the time of this incident. Maybe this was what was meant by sending position updates sent by cell phone. They are really sent via satellite by the SPOT device, of course, but through the cell phone for convenience. Now the Iridium GO! and I think one of the new DeLorme devices have this feature, but they may not have been available at the time.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:30   #78

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have been following the thread in the hopes of seeing good news. I don't have anything to offer except my heart goes out to you and I'll say another prayer for all of you.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:43   #79

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Newer devices can pair with smartphones but older ones could not.

An AIS transceiver can be tracked though - also offshore. At least one company (I think in Canada) can actually backtrack an AIS signal.

Spot IMHO is a very poor choice for cross ocean voyages as it delivers worst where it may be needed most - at the central part of the ponds.

I think Spot 'coverage maps' must be read with caution and observing the extra data given (% of chance ... etc).

Contacting the tanker might help getting some info but this only assuming the tanker actually noticed them. It is so easy to see a tanker from a small boat but it is not always that the bridge crew will spot a small craft out at sea.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:28   #80
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

After following a number of journey by folks on here using SPOT, my conclusion is it is NOT available 100%. Whether it's a rotation availability issue with the satellites it uses, or something else, I notice that there are holes in the reception and it seems to be a recurrent pattern depending on time.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

One must remember us Spot users do switch them off on big crossings.. sadly non-users seem to think they are 24/7 tools.. takes an awful lit of batteries for a crossing.
Another thing.. if you lack the confidence to go out there without these gadgets.. maybe.. you and your boat are not ready..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:40   #82

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I think Spot 'coverage maps' must be read with caution and observing the extra data given (% of chance ... etc).
I agree. Those maps are based on probability of message going through after many attempts over a 20 minute period. If you have an unforeseen emergency then you do not have 20 minutes before the thing gets wet. EPIRBs are designed to survive water.

svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:48   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I agree. Those maps are based on probability of message going through after many attempts over a 20 minute period. If you have an unforeseen emergency then you do not have 20 minutes before the thing gets wet. EPIRBs are designed to survive water.

Never chucked it in water.. however it has survived torrential downpours and waves occasionally soaking it.. switched on or off it stays topsides the whole trip so it can be grabbed in a second.
One day I may even start making up a grab bag..😂😂😂
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:47   #84

Honestly, we have no idea what happened after the last track coordinates from Spot device. What we could see is that they turned from heading east to south south east .....

The thing that might be of interest to others is that SPOT whipes all messages after 1 month and only the person who took out the order can get the list of coordinates. So if this person happens to on board ....... too bad.

It was only after my friend who's husband is on board kept pestering SPOT for weeks, that she heard that they would not sent her anything,..... only to the registered client.

We keep on hoping for something somewhere

Carla
cloggieboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16   #85

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. Newer devices can pair with smartphones but older ones could not.

An AIS transceiver can be tracked though - also offshore. At least one company (I think in Canada) can actually backtrack an AIS signal.

Spot IMHO is a very poor choice for cross ocean voyages as it delivers worst where it may be needed most - at the central part of the ponds.

Contacting the tanker might help getting some info but this only assuming the tanker actually noticed them. It is so easy to see a tanker from a small boat but it is not always that the bridge crew will spot a small craft out at sea.

b.
AIS is a VHF based signal. It cannot at present be tracked beyond line of sight to another AIS station. To my knowledge there is no network of satellites tracking AIS signals. Therefore it cannot be tracked far "offshore".
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:38   #86

Quote:
To my knowledge there is no network of satellites tracking AIS signals. Therefore it cannot be tracked far "offshore".
... there are companies using satellites to receive the AIS data, see for instance here: 3 Facts About Satellite AIS That You Should Know | ORBCOMM (or google "Satellit AIS")

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09   #87
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yes, of course AIS can and is being tracked by satellite.
Marinetraffic.com does it but you need the premium service to track.

The difficulty is that Class B is not strong enough to get to the satellites often. Class A is fine.

On my recent 10 day passage from Beaufort North Carolina, USA to St Martin in the Caribbean there were only 2 position reports from satellites whilst I was in the deep ocean. (Ie not a costal reception. I was 600nms to 800nms off any coast station)
So its not much help to find Class B boats.

It does give a good reason to buy Class A if you have $3k to spend.

Mark
Quote:
the Satellite AIS service provides position updates less often, at intervals that may vary from a few minutes up to several hours. On average, for vessels sailing at the oceans, equipped with a Class-A AIS transponder, we see*one position update per hour.

Subscribe to one of the Satellite-AIS plans and use our*Live ship map*to follow Satellite AIS position updates with 6 or 12 hours delay.

Read more at http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/sa...TXOdUZgiIZg.99

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:35   #88

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, of course AIS can and is being tracked by satellite.
Marinetraffic.com does it but you need the premium service to track.

The difficulty is that Class B is not strong enough to get to the satellites often. Class A is fine.

On my recent 10 day passage from Beaufort North Carolina, USA to St Martin in the Caribbean there were only 2 position reports from satellites whilst I was in the deep ocean. (Ie not a costal reception. I was 600nms to 800nms off any coast station)
So its not much help to find Class B boats.

It does give a good reason to buy Class A if you have $3k to spend.

Mark
Hey Mark, I'm a bit confused (not unusual). I'm assuming you didn't have internet access while offshore. So wouldn't the two position reports you received be coming to you directly through your VHF? I thought the function of the satellites was to pick up the signals, report them to the stations, which in turn post them to the internet via marinetraffic.com, etc. But I could easily be mistaken.

Didn't know about the significant time delay, or Class B not always making it to the satellites at all. Helpful info, thanks.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Hey Mark, I'm a bit confused (not unusual). I'm assuming you didn't have internet access while offshore. So wouldn't the two position reports you received be coming to you directly through your VHF?
No I did not receive them. They were received by a guy in the UK monitoring my voyage with his premium subscription to MarineTraffic .com
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:47   #90
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cloggieboots,

So nothing has ever been found of the boat or crew? Is that correct? All lost at sea?

Sorry to hear they are still lost.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tonga