Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 22:20   #106
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Paint ball with pepper spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yea,
I have had a bit of training in my day. Not much, but a bit.

I wanted to cruise though. I did not want to practice all the cruising safety stuff and add this kind of stuff on top of it all. Cruising is about going around the most expensive way in 3rd class. Enjoying sunsets and meeting other like-minded persons. Not this stuff.
I am staying in my home.
You don't need to stay at home. Come cruising but turn the internet off.

Do you think we sit around in the sailors bars of the world discussing how big our guns are? Of course not because very very very very few 'out there' have guns.

I am not talking about USA waters I am talking about the cruising grounds of the world.

Just look at the logistics. Once you are out here you can't fly in another gun. The gun on board, like every other bit of machined metal, is attacked but salt air. Theres no gunsmiths to repair them, no ammunition can be bought so you have what you came with. Every country has some different law, mostly not liking guns at all they sometimes get taken off the boat until you leave (with a bill for transport - Australia etc) some countries wont allow shotguns (mexico) some countrys you must declare the amunition and if its not exact you get jailed (Indonesia) and some countries you need to prearrange a license to bring it in ( Mexico, Australia)

By they time you are on about your 10th country the extra admin would even piss off Rambo.

So come cruising and be happy. The only real gun toting goes on in internet forums. Not in the wide blue yonder.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-02-2015, 22:40   #107

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Exactly and Im signing up for exactly this training while I'm in Buenos Aires. As with all training you need to refresh and continue training. This combat training is not like other martial arts. It is designed to go for the soft areas and kill zones immediately. To size up a situation and then make your move in split seconds requires training and regular refresher training. By the way this method is fast to learn and is deadly.
I'm a second Dan black belt in a martial art with more than 30 years experience. I'm pretty good as long as tell me where your aiming and when your going to punch or kick.

And I was in the police for 14 years and did the mandatory pistol training and reviews twice a year. That crappy trsining would definately get you dead if anyone squared off at me with a gun.

The point I'm trying to make is that the idea of being anywhere near proficient in any sort of self defence requires years of training and 'daily' practice. It's nothing 'zero' like on TV . Doing a 'course' is not going to help you like I suspect you think. If you really want an edge, by doing a course, do some in communication skills like active listening skills. That's helped me more times than ANY self defence has ever done.
Old 25-02-2015, 00:29   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm a second Dan black belt in a martial art with more than 30 years experience. I'm pretty good as long as tell me where your aiming and when your going to punch or kick.
I guess you have been learning the wrong kind of martial arts then. Sorry but while I'm very thankful for your service that too does not demonstrate your proficiency in the kind of defence training I'm experienced with.

From what I understand is that you would rather count on your linguistic skills while being confronted with a bad person in your cockpit while moored in a Marina in let's say Brazil. I'm sure your soothing words of surrender will be more effective than disarming that piece of low life and stopping him once and for all from hurting other people.

The only time I would surrender would be as a ruse as I move towards the POS with my hands up at shoulder pretending to surrender until I was within close quarter striking distance. That is of course if I didn't have a gun and wasn't able to blow his brains out. By the way, self defence for killing someone is still a valid defence in most courts around the world. Little argument when a low life is boarding your boat that your shooting would not be in self defense.
Old 25-02-2015, 01:47   #109
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I understand your thoughts Therapy. But if you wish to travel beyond your familiar area of comfort wether it be by land or sea you should be prepared for all eventualities. Its like preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. And as with all preparations for the worst one hopes and prays that the such preparation is never ever needed. Even if you don't want to sail out of your comfortable safe harbor and seek new sights and places to visit if you choose to go to exotic places on land around the world being prepared for the unexpected is a good idea. Most people travel to all sorts of places and have no problem but then some don't.

For me having a spirit of adventure sitting at home is not an option and never has been. Also for me all preparation is part of the adventure.

This is an exact summary of the reality , well done
Old 25-02-2015, 01:49   #110
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Do you think we sit around in the sailors bars of the world discussing how big our guns are? Of course not because very very very very few 'out there' have guns.

I am not talking about USA waters I am talking about the cruising grounds of the world.

Just look at the logistics. Once you are out here you can't fly in another gun. The gun on board, like every other bit of machined metal, is attacked but salt air. Theres no gunsmiths to repair them, no ammunition can be bought so you have what you came with. Every country has some different law, mostly not liking guns at all they sometimes get taken off the boat until you leave (with a bill for transport - Australia etc) some countries wont allow shotguns (mexico) some countrys you must declare the amunition and if its not exact you get jailed (Indonesia) and some countries you need to prearrange a license to bring it in ( Mexico, Australia)

By they time you are on about your 10th country the extra admin would even piss off Rambo.

So come cruising and be happy. The only real gun toting goes on in internet forums. Not in the wide blue yonder.

Mark

+100

Davev
Old 25-02-2015, 01:59   #111

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Mark
spot on
Old 25-02-2015, 03:19   #112

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Interesting post - had mine loaded with these - now 4 years in the canister - removed and checked them after reading a post that they do not last too long being exposed - seems fine to me and they have proved very effective !!! I do not want to elaborate here ! Some mates on a Lagoon 500 have the pepper extinguisher canisters loaded with motion detectors to set them off. Hmmm - that was not too cleaver - when they were in Durban the dock master came on-board (which he should not have done) and got totally nailed - ended up in hospital - Man Down!
Old 25-02-2015, 05:38   #113

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:

Mark
I may be bringing my dog with me on our travels. I hear that is a pain in many countries. I guess I should shoot my dog and then toss the gun overboard.

Everyone has their own level of tolerance for challenges, don't you think? One sailor's pain is another sailor's duty.

BTW, while you were sleeping they invented stainless steel. They make knives, winches, halyards and……guns! out of this material. Sheesh, they think of everything in these new fangled futuristic days.

As I have said, regular folks with minimal training have defended themselves quite handily using firearms against determined foes who are also armed with firearms. How do all you highly trained opinionators explain that?

No one, NO ONE, is suggesting that folks should shoot first and ask questions later. Owners of firearms do not turn off their common sense once they purchase and carry the weapons. That seems to be a running theme in these streams. You'all watch too many Hollywood movies. We ain't all Liam Neeson, you know. Oh, wait, he's Irish. Never mind.
Old 25-02-2015, 05:50   #114

Well, I guess everybody is always going to be pretty set in stone on stuff like this. I should have remembered. In the agency I worked for, we had more shooting incidents than any other agency in the country. And, whenever you got any of us in a room, and the subject came up, you couldn't get any agreement on anything having to do with deadly force and self defense, either.
Old 25-02-2015, 06:05   #115
cruiser

My wife's weapon of choice during an unannounced boarding-boat invasion is the "Spirit Knife" purchased from Walmart for $19.95. This knife when attached by screwing it onto the end of an extending type pole or standard broom handle, can be very effective when thrust from behind a closed cabin door as an assailant enters.

Legal everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spirit knife.png
Views:	186
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	97878  
Old 25-02-2015, 06:16   #116

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
You have just proven my point oh wise master of everything ballistic.
Dude! I'm not trying to take away your right to sleep with a gun under your pillow, but if you think that's protection from armed intruders you are a fool. They are awake, you are asleep. There are two or three of them with their guns drawn. Just one of you and you have to wake up, realize what is happening, reach under the pillow, pull out the gun and aim and fire. You will have been shot several times by then.
Old 25-02-2015, 06:31   #117

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I understand your thoughts Therapy. But if you wish to travel beyond your familiar area of comfort wether it be by land or sea you should be prepared for all eventualities. Its like preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. And as with all preparations for the worst one hopes and prays that the such preparation is never ever needed. Even if you don't want to sail out of your comfortable safe harbor and seek new sights and places to visit if you choose to go to exotic places on land around the world being prepared for the unexpected is a good idea. Most people travel to all sorts of places and have no problem but then some don't.

For me having a spirit of adventure sitting at home is not an option and never has been. Also for me all preparation is part of the adventure.
Attached Images

Old 25-02-2015, 06:56   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My wife's weapon of choice during an unannounced boarding-boat invasion is the "Spirit Knife" purchased from Walmart for $19.95. This knife when attached by screwing it onto the end of an extending type pole or standard broom handle, can be very effective when thrust from behind a closed cabin door as an assailant enters.

Legal everywhere.

I saw these things at Wal-Mart the other day and was wondering if they would come up in discussion.

I like these better!

Old 25-02-2015, 07:00   #119

Boat: Camano Troll

Old 25-02-2015, 07:04   #120
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

I saw these things at Wal-Mart the other day and was wondering if they would come up in discussion.

I like these better!

At Walmart, the "spirit knifes" are located right next to the SOG tomahawks and other scary knives in the locked case. No problems transporting these items in checked airline luggage even in Europe.

Don't know about the throwing stars, but after watching your video..... I am stopping at Walmart later today.... looks like fun.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint