Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 17:38   #16

Boat: Pearson 281
Yes. it seems to be softer than the usual waffle stomper stuff. No problem on my decks with marking.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 15:13   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
THX Butler!

I will try them out here too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I have Goretex trousers and they leak on the posterior. I hate them! And the Goretex jacket does up around the neck so high that I am being strangled.

i preferred the old MPX witch was not breathable.

remember that crusing grounds vary. Warm areas on a dry boat you really don't need much, certainly not the $500+ gear.

We mainly use the $100 sort of light kit and a jacket Nic was given as a prize.

Cruising in bad weather we stay below popping head up every few mins to check for ships. Thats light gear stuff.

I also have a pair of ski pants I used in this last colder weather run. they are warmer than oileys, ok for wet and soft on the butt like fanny fenders!

And moist ceetainly the ads for Goretex say its good if you sweat.... well cruisers don't!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:32   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracias View Post
Why not contact the manufacturer and ask if this seller is legit?
I'm with Gacias on this. Hong Kong seems like the perfect place to be able to buy fake merchandise.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 17:36   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I have Goretex trousers and they leak on the posterior. I hate them! (...) I preferred the old MPX witch was not breathable...
If meaning Musto MPX then they were Goretex and breathable.

Quote:

Cruising in bad weather we stay below popping head up every few mins to check for ships. Thats light gear stuff.
You run me down, I get you and kick your ass, then sue you. In our boat one person in the cockpit, hell or high water.

Quote:

And moist ceetainly the ads for Goretex say its good if you sweat.... well cruisers don't!
Not even than you 'pop your head up' to find a jolly cargo going your way? No sweat?

;-)))

I am 100% with G-tex. True - I too use/d the mountain stuff (Mammut) - all in all (mountaineering and sailing) it was good for 10 years. In fact, it is still much better than the 'breathables' I got 2006 from Burke.

Cheers,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 23:53   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Hey all,

I went ahead and bought the jacket, having found out from the seller that it was a slightly older model and being assured that it was legit. I got it today and it is a beautiful jacket, clearly authentic. Heavyweight but comfortable with lots of features and clearly well built and durable. I don't mind having last year's model in the slightest. I can't wait to put it to the test!
I glad it worked out OK, happy dry sailing
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10   #22

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
Hamilton Marine sells to yachties & fishermen, so they have yachtie gear & fishing (Grundens) gear. They have some good basic stuff. Doesn't help now, but you can get the $250 jackets for $100-125 in the fall. I am very partial to a warm dry Henri Lloyd that I got for ~$85 a couple of years ago, in the fall.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote