Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:53   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Medical Marijuana

And........

I am a medical dr and NOT going to comment on the efficacy or lack of the substance.

The only question to answer is if having Marijuana on board is going to create a problem for the boat owner, regardless of a California prescription.

The answer is that it might very well do.

Is it worth the risk? Given the nature of the American legal system and the Federal vs State situation at present, it would not be worth the risk to me as Skipper.

Your boat, your choice.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:17   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
And........

I am a medical dr and NOT going to comment on the efficacy or lack of the substance.

The only question to answer is if having Marijuana on board is going to create a problem for the boat owner, regardless of a California prescription.

The answer is that it might very well do.

Is it worth the risk? Given the nature of the American legal system and the Federal vs State situation at present, it would not be worth the risk to me as Skipper.

Your boat, your choice.

There is at least one other question. Do you want someone with a "medical" concentration of THC in their system standing watch on your boat? Even if it is legal, is it sensible? I won't comment on whether it is addictive or not, but everyone knows that #$%@ makes you sleepy, hungry and unmotivated (not my favorite traits for a boat companion.) Not to mention they would be more likely to hurt themselves or screw something up, and there may be legal implications for any actions taken by an intoxicated crew member you have hired.

Today's medical marijuana is not your 70's and 80's marijuana. It is potent!!! I'm guessing this person is not using "children's" medical marijuana. How many people that have this card use it as an excuse to carry around enough to sell a small amount to their friend? Ie DEA agent posing as a friend??

I don't think even one of the Mayo clinic research docs would hire this person.
If your hypertension is so bad that you need to take three or four real blood pressure medications AND marijuana, you should stay on land or buy your own boat.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:42   #18

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Don't smoke pot, hook your debit card up to big pharma instead. Last time I checked id rather have side effects of the munchies and giggling versus bleeding bowel movements or sudden death. I did some googling and saw mention that if you were a professional mariner you would have issues, or possibly in a state that does not allow it will ticket and confiscate the stash, but i think it would be highly unlikely you are risking your boat unless your transporting enough to be trafficking. You should call us cg offices in the states you will be visiting and get something in writing on the subject, if you want to know for sure. Ive heard second hand that people who got busted by the tsa for having weed on them at airport security didn't have it confiscated, they just got yelled at for hiding it in their crotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

CA medical marijuana prescription covers you ONLY with state authorities in CA.

Feds in CA can still bust you, including CG. Anywhere outside CA (except maybe CO, MA and one or two others) the state authorities will also bust you. You might lose your boat and end up in jail.

Won't address the efficacy of pot for blood pressure. Haven't read any research on that.

I will say I would rather have someone stoned on watch than someone drunk. Of course the correct choice is to have someone on watch that is neither.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:06   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

In case this thread is not a troll, I'll add this input:

Don't take him unless you want to be a test case.

What the other folks have written is correct, you could lose your boat; you could have a major hassle that the record of which would follow you offshore to other countries; and with a mind-altered watchkeeper, "wow, the break on those rocks sure is groovy!"

Nah, a bad bet all the way, plus if what someone above wrote is correct, that this individual is already on 4 other medications, --well would you want to have to handle a medical emergency with him?

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 14:12   #21

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You don't need to risk loosing your boat over some pothead ********. Weed for blood pressure control.... is ********.

Federal law does not recognize his dumbass prescription, and the last time I checked.... The coast guard and Homeland Security are federal government. So if you're boarded.... You will loose your boat, period.

Taking on a pothead as crew is probably one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in a long time.
I would trust Kenomac's judgement on these three points. Even if pot was good for high blood pressure we know that (like alcohol) it is not good for any of the usual tasks while underway that require good judgement, motor abilities, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You must be a doctor, a lawyer and a blow hard. Wow!

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:01   #22

Boat: islandpacket

Maybe if alcohol is legal pot should be also but its not where I live. But if it were legal not every one can use it. You cant drink and drive a car truck or boat. You can't drink on many jobs what would be different about pot. Yes pot should be legal. But their will be job restrictions. I'm sure if you cause an accident impaired, card or not, it is a problem you'll have to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-06-2015, 15:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Peter-
"Why smoke a mind altering drug to treat blood pressure when there are a ton of legal drugs that do the job very well and also a lot of non hallucinogenic natural treatments as well??"
You destroy your own argument. First, because pot is NOT a hallucinogen. Unlike an acid trip or psilocybin, it will not give you hallucinations, although "street" pot may have hallucinogens mixed in. That you don't know the difference, says that you don't know the drug, or the real effects and issues involved.
Second, there are MANY strains of pot today. It has had more selective breeding done on it than possible any other crop. Some of those strains will blow you away in two tokes. Others, like the "Charlotte's Web" that is so prominent in the news as a medicine for children, will give you less of a buzz than a double espresso.

Reefer madness always was a lie. Coupla regular jugs of vodka for two weeks can give you some nasty dt's, and that's hallucinating. Coupla stone ponies stay toasted for two weeks...and they won't be seeing any spiders when they come down.

Every presidential commission, congressional study, anything that has looked objectively at legalizing pot over the last 40-50 years, has said the same thing. Legalize it, tax it, the criminal problems go away, the adulterants go away, the myths go away, and you've basically got more liquor sales, with less drunk driving.

Now, if you want hallucinogens, just take a walk in the southwest and pick some 'shrooms.

zeehag-
Those untrained, inexperienced, and generally non-credible quacks at the Mayo Clinic strongly disagree with your field research on pot. They say:
"Marijuana may cause low blood pressure. Caution is advised in people who have blood pressure disorders or those taking drugs or herbs and supplements that lower blood pressure"
Marijuana (Cannabis sativa) Safety - Mayo Clinic

I would suggest that their information is based on research wil UNadulterated pot, while your experience in the ER is with pot, and pot users, that may have any number of other issues distorting the picture. Causality and simultaneity and two very different animals. You experience with pot users is, probably, only from the latter.
Amazing that a substance that changes your perception of the world is not a Hallucinogen. Yes it does have some legitimate uses but they aren't all that many and certainly not the best way to treat most of them. Medical marajuana users are mostly using the 'Medical' part to legalize getting high.

Before you get bent out of shape, spent many a night in my youth laying on the floor listening to the Doors, Country Joe, Janice, J. Airplane, etc when they weren't oldies. Lived in a Packard Hearse for awhile in the Haight during the summer of love. Fortunately, rather than stay stoned and stupid found better things to do with my life. Putting marajuana in the same classification as heroin, Meth, etc and even alcohol is about the stupidest thing our stupid government has done. Feel that all drugs should be legalized. If people want to get high on whatever, let them but don't give organized crime a license to steal, murder and corrupt governments. And certainly don't use tax money to support their habits.

As far as bringing pot or any other illegal substance on your boat, it's utterly utterly stupid to do so. The risks are just too high if you or a crew member get busted. Have seen the negative effects of governments reactions to boats that have a reputation as drug boats whether justified or not. Trust me, you don't want to get on someones drug boat list.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:04   #24

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Too right Zee
...thnx
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:07   #25

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.

You are so right ! Personal knowledge here not just mere opinion.
Old 01-06-2015, 16:27   #26

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
You are so right ! Personal knowledge here not just mere opinion.
Are you trying to be funny or what? You must be stoned.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 16:51   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You must be a doctor, a lawyer and a blow hard. Wow!
He's all that and more!

It will also be hard to get good quality refills in the Bahamas for sure.
Old 01-06-2015, 17:19   #28

No....but i lived with someone who was most of the time....it's not a laughing matter either and that's one reason I am no longer aboard.
Old 01-06-2015, 18:26   #29

"In the meantime, patients who smoke marijuana should be counseled to have a designated driver if possible, to wait at least three hours after smoking before driving if not, that marijuana is particularly likely to impair monotonous or prolonged driving, and that mixing marijuana with alcohol will produce much more impairment than either drug used alone." Here are the references:

AMA
Sewell RA, Poling J, Sofuoglu M. THE EFFECT OF CANNABIS COMPARED WITH ALCOHOL ON DRIVING. The American journal on addictions / American Academy of Psychiatrists in Alcoholism and Addictions. 2009;18(3):185-193. doi:10.1080/10550490902786934.
MLA Sewell, R. Andrew, James Poling, and Mehmet Sofuoglu. “THE EFFECT OF CANNABIS COMPARED WITH ALCOHOL ON DRIVING.” The American journal on addictions / American Academy of Psychiatrists in Alcoholism and Addictions 18.3 (2009): 185–193. PMC. Web. 2 June 2015.
APA Sewell, R. A., Poling, J., & Sofuoglu, M. (2009). THE EFFECT OF CANNABIS COMPARED WITH ALCOHOL ON DRIVING. The American Journal on Addictions / American Academy of Psychiatrists in Alcoholism and Addictions, 18(3), 185–193. doi:10.1080/10550490902786934

Marijuana is a mind altering drug. The wind, waves and sun are better.
DocMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 18:29   #30

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Medical cannabis is legal in 23 states and growing. Medical cannabis is not necessarily the high THC, low CBD strains popular by recreational users. Many medical cannabis users find more relief with higher proportions of CBD, probably as cannabis is in its natural state (although since it has evolved alongside humans, it us unclear exactly which strain is natural). Synthetic THC is legal by prescription and marketed under the name Marinol. CBD is not psychoactive and can be purchased legally across the country. Cannabis is much safer than many drugs, prescription and otherwise. I would be most concerned about local law enforcement in the remaining places where medical cannibis is still not legal.

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, medical